The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two unrelated problems?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38641)

kis86 04-25-2007 07:32 AM

Two unrelated problems??

Yesterday, my brakes wore down to that noisy little tab that makes 'em squeeeek when I stop. Thank goodness I had ordered new brakes a week ago :P That was a little annoying and embarrassing, but nothing compared to the new things that showed up:

1. When I start the car, it makes a gurgling sound in the back (i believe). I'm thinking the fuel pump is going? Not sure...

2. The cv joint started clicking about a month ago when I make tight turns...no big deal. Yesterday, the car starting clicking solid...all the time. It doesn't matter if I'm pressing the gas, but I do have to be moving. The clicking speeds up as I do, so it much be related to something in the drivetrain?

*lucky me* :rolleyes: Two new problems in one day! So much for having it painted this week...

Let me know if you can confirm or have any other ideas. Thanks!

TomsSVX 04-25-2007 08:16 AM

are you in drive when it clicks?? if you are in a drive gear and it does this, it could still be an axle that has completely died. That gurgle is just the fuel pump doing its job....Don't worry about it

Tom

JaySVX 04-25-2007 08:27 AM

You can just replace the CV joint to get rid of the clicking, check your boot and see if it's torn. If so the oil leaked out. You can also go the cheap way, which i don't reccomend but sometimes budget neccessitates it, which is find someone willing to put just a new boot on and refill it, retaining the axel. This does not always work though, and should only be even considered if you can verify that no damage was done to it.

kis86 04-25-2007 08:39 AM

Clicking

The fuel pump is supposed to do that? Any reason it hasn't up until now...?

Yea, the clicking is when the car is in drive. It's slow when I'm going slow, and fast when I go faster :P It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from, but I'm thinking maybe front driver's side?

I lifted the hood to see if anything was out of sorts there, and there's a fuel line (?)...pulsating? It never did it before, and it's actually something I can feel easily and hear as well. I'm not sure, but could be related to the fuel pump.

It's a small hose that connects into the engine right next to another hose about the same size...and it's on the driver's side. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. The other end goes into a small canister...both ends are tightly on.

JaySVX 04-25-2007 09:04 AM

I'm not sure about the fuel pump thing, but the cv joint i have plenty of experience with. If you get down on the ground by the wheel and look up you should see the boot. Here's a picture, though it isn't of the svx, but should look similar:
http://www.cartalk.com/content/advic...es/ctBoot1.jpg

Feel around that for holes, it may be completely torn and two pieces. The boot holds a lubricant allowing the joint to operate properly, and when it drains out, it doesn't move so well. After a bit of wear, it starts to click, and eventually break. If your clicking, chances are it's damaged,a nd you'll need a new cv joint. I do not reccomend repairing the boot at that point. You can have it repaced/fixed in a shop for about 150$. Check the other side that is not clicking, chances are it is torn too, as it is rather common. My axles were replaced just before i bought my car, and the boots were nice and shiny, so i don't have to worry about it for a while, but it was done once, and the car has 129k miles on it.

TomsSVX 04-25-2007 09:34 AM

his issue is probobly due to a worn inner cv joint... thats why it clicks going straight too.

The fuel pump is rushing fuel over the hump in the tank through a jet like mechansim... Just the sound it makes when it picks up a bit of air thats all... No worries, mine still runs like a champ;)

Tom

msvx95 04-25-2007 10:08 AM

Check for rocks stuck in the treads of your tires too...I've had this before and I was scratching my head like WTF!

kis86 04-25-2007 10:39 AM

Thanks for the pump info :) Any ideas on this, it started yesterday as well:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kis86
I lifted the hood to see if anything was out of sorts there, and there's a fuel line (?)...pulsating? It never did it before, and it's actually something I can feel easily and hear as well. I'm not sure, but could be related to the fuel pump.

It's a small hose that connects into the engine right next to another hose about the same size...and it's on the driver's side. Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about this stuff. The other end goes into a small canister...both ends are tightly on.

TomsSVX 04-25-2007 10:58 AM

how gas is in the tank??? may b picking up air bubbles

Tom

kis86 04-25-2007 11:04 AM

Gas is ok

The tank is about 3/4 full, filled at the same station as usual too...:confused:

TomsSVX 04-25-2007 11:06 AM

does it drive any differently than it did before?

Have you changed the fuel filter ever?

Tom

kis86 04-25-2007 11:13 AM

well...

it doesn't seem to be different, but it's always had an idling problem. I have a filter, so I'll have to try changing that as well.

kis86 04-26-2007 02:36 PM

Bad news!

Well, apparently the problem is with the front differential...it's done :mad: went downhill quickly, and now I have no car!!

I was thinking on doing the 4.44 swap this summer sometime, and I was wondering if the front diff on the 96-97 Legacy 2.5 will fit along with the rest (tranny, rear diff etc).

My other option will be to get a new tranny. Anyone know of one available, and if they include the front diff? Thanks all for your help :(

Mr. Pockets 04-26-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kis86
Well, apparently the problem is with the front differential...it's done :mad: went downhill quickly, and now I have no car!!

I was thinking on doing the 4.44 swap this summer sometime, and I was wondering if the front diff on the 96-97 Legacy 2.5 will fit along with the rest (tranny, rear diff etc).

My other option will be to get a new tranny. Anyone know of one available, and if they include the front diff? Thanks all for your help :(

I just read this thread, and I was worried that might be the case. The front diff on my old Legacy went bad, and the clicking did, in fact, sound like a bad axle. I even bought a new axle and tried to replace it, but was very surprised when part of the diff came out with the axle when I tried to remove it.

The moral of the story is: if you get clicking in a straight line, have your transmission looked at. :(

Nomad 04-26-2007 03:32 PM

So , if i have this problem only when turning right , its the right one ? right ?
:D :confused: :cool: