The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Best Brake Pads (From Your Experence) (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21673)

nsm484 09-29-2004 03:21 PM

Best Brake Pads (From Your Experence)

Ok... heres the deal... Front break pads MUST be changed...
my rims are just about black from the brake dust... and I can also feel the slight sponginess in the brakes, that I used to get in my legacy when it needed brake pads.

So what Brand? Whats the Cost?

And, What brand Minimizes Brake Dust all over the stock rim?
(my poor front rims... they need a major bath)

P.S. This may sound kinda lame... but Im glad everyone here helps
everyone...... Without this place... I mite have not even kept my
SVX :eek: :D

SubaSteevo 09-29-2004 04:47 PM

If you're looking to minimize dust, go with the EBC Greenstuffs. I have AutoSpecialty pads, which are similar in composition to the Greenstuffs. I just installed them 2 weeks ago, but they appear to be a good deal ($25 shipped off ebay). I believe someone (Chike?) uses the AutoSpeacialty pads as well.

Earthworm 09-29-2004 05:32 PM

I'm now using pads from KVR Performance and they definately have less dust than whatever I had on there previously.

svxcess 09-29-2004 05:48 PM

I use the Akebono Pro-ACT ceramic pads, available at Tire Rack and have NO brake dust at all. I repeat... NO BRAKE DUST!

I have only done the front pads and have the light silver stock wheels. Even after not being able to wash my car for a couple of weeks, my rear wheels get dirtier than my front ones.

Mr. Pockets 09-29-2004 05:54 PM

Re: Best Brake Pads (From Your Experence)

Quote:

Originally posted by nsm484
P.S. This may sound kinda lame... but Im glad everyone here helps
everyone...... Without this place... I mite have not even kept my
SVX :eek: :D

It's not lame - I'm glad you find the site useful.

Now, concerning the 'spongy' brake pedal feel, I find that hard to believe. If that's true, then you should replace your brake fluid.

There's really no reason worn pads should cause the brake pedal to feel 'spongy.'

nsm484 09-29-2004 06:23 PM

Re: Re: Best Brake Pads (From Your Experence)

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

It's not lame - I'm glad you find the site useful.

Now, concerning the 'spongy' brake pedal feel, I find that hard to believe. If that's true, then you should replace your brake fluid.

There's really no reason worn pads should cause the brake pedal to feel 'spongy.'

Well Spongy mite be the wrong word... because what this feels like is ALOT different then if there was air in the lines... or bad fluid...

I can feel the SLIGHTEST of changes, in any car, and it Drives my mother and Fiance crazy cause they cant feel it.
I guess I learned to do that from my street racing days
(STREET RACING IS BAD MMMMMMMMKAY!)

but I know its defantly the pads... as they have started to squeak :-/

Anyone else have some idea's on Pads? I want to get as much info as possable... so I know im getting my money's worth ya know ;)

thundering02 09-29-2004 08:18 PM

Its just that it gets squshier when the pads are gone don't worry I know what your talking about. As is I need to do mine in the next couple of months.