The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Oxygen sensor and button illumination questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60957)

Huskymaniac 11-30-2012 10:44 AM

Oxygen sensor and button illumination questions

Has anyone replaced the harness for the oxygen sensors? Is there one harness for all three or is there a separate one for the rear sesnor on the OBD2 cars?

Is the "CRUISE" button supposed to be back lit green like the other buttons? It is the only one that doesn't light up on my car. Well, that and the "D" light.

svxcess 11-30-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Oxygen sensor and button illumination questions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 716531)
Is the "CRUISE" button supposed to be backlit green like the other buttons? It is the only one that doesn't light up on my car. Well, that and the "D" light.

Yes, it should illuminate green normally and illuminate orange when depressed.

See the complete list HERE

Bulb number for illumination is 83426PA020. The complete list of bulbs can be found HERE

sunvalleyray 11-30-2012 01:47 PM

Great work John, thanks for your effort(s)!

Ray

Huskymaniac 11-30-2012 02:09 PM

How hard is it to get to that green illumination bulb?

And, on a related subject, how hard is it to replace the bulb for "D" in between the gauges?

icingdeath88 11-30-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 716544)
How hard is it to get to that green illumination bulb?

And, on a related subject, how hard is it to replace the bulb for "D" in between the gauges?

The hardest part is getting the gauge cluster out without breaking any tabs. Best to do it when it's warm out. I think I can walk you through it from memory if you need.

Huskymaniac 12-03-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 716547)
The hardest part is getting the gauge cluster out without breaking any tabs. Best to do it when it's warm out. I think I can walk you through it from memory if you need.

How about the illumination bulb for the buttons (cruise)?

svxcess 12-03-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 716742)
How about the illumination bulb for the buttons (cruise)?

See post #2. CRUISE Letters should illuminate green. AN orange LED on the switch should illuminate when activated.

svxcess 12-03-2012 03:10 PM

Go HERE for the instrument panel and switch cluster removal instructions.

Go HERE for bulb illumination replacement instructions. Especially post 7. (brown ones are for illumination, blue ones are for the "on" indicators)

You'll need to pop out the entire cluster. Use a small flat-bladed screwdriver on the outer edge (careful not to scratch the surround or dig into the switch) and pull with your index finger on the inner edge (closest the steering wheel). Should pop out easily.

Tireiron 12-03-2012 10:18 PM

For the O2 sensor harness... why do you want to replace it? The rear has a separate harness that runs up the transmission to plug into the main harness on the right side. This is where the right O2 sensor connects also. Both of these connections run in through the right side harness. The left side O2 sensor connects into the harness on the left side with the transmission wires and the other small wires on the left side of the car. All of these run in and are part of the main harness that runs behind the dashboard.

So again, why so you want to replace the harness?

And to answer the question directly, there is 1 harness for all 3 sensors, but it is the main harness for the car and it exits the cabin in different places :p

Huskymaniac 12-04-2012 07:16 AM

Thanks for the links John.

As for why I am looking at the harness, I am getting a slow response code again for the rear sensor on my obd2 1996. I have tried Bosch and NGK sensors. My mechanic checked the exhaust for a leak and didn't find one. It is possible there is a vac or intake leak. I wanted to check out the harness first for bad continuity.

Tireiron 12-04-2012 09:37 PM

Try unplugging the rear sensor all together and see if a code comes up. I ran my 96 OBD2 for years with no rear sensor and never had an issue. Passes MASS emissions inspections and all with no problems, and had no check engine light for the rear ever.