The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Drive shaft compatibility question (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59899)

svx-mx 05-23-2012 12:47 PM

Drive shaft compatibility question

Hi, I'm new to the site I have a 1992 svx red, and noticed that the rear part of the drive shaft is missing, can I use a drive shaft of other car with the stock transmission and rear end?,

Thanks

1986nate 05-23-2012 12:51 PM

Re: Drive shaft compatibility question

The SVX driveshaft is unique. However, if it is difficult to find another SVX near you, get one from an outback and have it made the proper length. If you find a 95-99 Legacy or Outback, the rear section may work in an SVX if you have the 2 piece driveshaft in your SVX. (most SVXes, especially 92s have a "1 piece" driveshaft that uses a c/v joint in the middle. The "2 piece" bolt together and use u-joints.
Hope this helps.

You may also be able to get someone from here in the states to send you what you need. (Not sure what shipping is like to Mexico)

svx-mx 05-23-2012 01:01 PM

You're rigth, is very dificult to find svx's here, and yes is the two pieces drive shaft that have the cv joint, I found alot of outback's in the junk yard and that is going to be the solution take one of the outback and made it to the right length.

Thanks!!!

Hocrest 05-23-2012 01:44 PM

I'm going to go ahead and predict that there will be an AWD binding issue when you get the drive shaft replaced.They didn't go through the trouble of removing the back 1/2 for ****s and grins.

svx-mx 05-23-2012 02:11 PM

I don't know why they removed the rear part, I bought the car a month ago, and when I changed the atf fluid i noticed that the rear part was missing

svxfiles 05-23-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svx-mx (Post 704950)
I don't know why they removed the rear part, I bought the car a month ago, and when I changed the atf fluid i noticed that the rear part was missing

As Dave said in post #4, there is probibly a problem, like binding with the transmission, so they "hid" the problem rather than fix it.
Is there an "FWD" light on?
Is there a fuse in the FWD space in the under hood fusebox?

svx-mx 05-23-2012 03:27 PM

No there is no fuse and no fwd light.

huck369 05-24-2012 05:07 AM

It may have had a transmission swap to a different final drive ratio, and not done the rear diff to match, so they removed the rear section of driveshaft so it wouldn't bind, nor would they have to have the "FWD" light on (easier to sell)

Get the numbers off the sticker on the bell housing by the starter and find out what transmission is in it first.

YourConfused 05-24-2012 06:25 AM

I remember a few year ago someone said a one piece drive shaft from a 02-07 wrx fits length wise. I think it cost me about $150 to re size, and also custom make my last couple of drive shafts locally, so that would be a economical option if available to you.

Otherwise:
I believe there was a clearance issue with the center support area of the drive shaft on the SVX. I believe a little massaging of the now unused portion of the car gives the requested 1/2" or 3/4" of clearance if you were to run a one piece.

My memory is bad, but I think that this is suppose to fit our cars.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120602215227...ht_2174wt_1139

I suppose you could contact the driveshaft shop to see if they had any info to help you out.

Good luck finding out why you are missing this part of the car.

p.s. Good insight and info in the above posts.