The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   One More 4.44 in the world. (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36158)

gest24 11-17-2006 03:44 PM

One More 4.44 in the world.

Well this week I started my "transfer leave" by flying out to PA to drive the newest 4.44 on the network to its owner.

Yellowbird (My mom/sponsor ;) ), bought the car a couple months ago with a bum tranny. Rather than have her waste her money on another stock 4EAT I talked her into a 4.44 swap. She had a local mechanic do it, took him 8 weeks and 3200 to do it. But this was before Tom had his shop or I would've sent the work his way. Now its done and I fly out to PA to visit with a couple friends, watch Tom's stage 3 Dyno, get lost in Amish country, and drive the newest SVX in my moms collection down to MS.

So far we've made it about 600 out of 1100 miles. The gearing is awesome for the highway! The car rides smoothly, well as smooth as it could with a ****ed up rim. The MPG is awesome compared to my 6MT... :D

Just wanted to share my story with you guys. I won't be able to put up any pics seeing as how I left my camera at the dyno and Tom now has it.

Budfreak 11-17-2006 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gest24
Well this week I started my "transfer leave" by flying out to PA to drive the newest 4.44 on the network to its owner.

Yellowbird (My mom/sponsor ;) ), bought the car a couple months ago with a bum tranny. Rather than have her waste her money on another stock 4EAT I talked her into a 4.44 swap. She had a local mechanic do it, took him 8 weeks and 3200 to do it. But this was before Tom had his shop or I would've sent the work his way. Now its done and I fly out to PA to visit with a couple friends, watch Tom's stage 3 Dyno, get lost in Amish country, and drive the newest SVX in my moms collection down to MS.

So far we've made it about 600 out of 1100 miles. The gearing is awesome for the highway! The car rides smoothly, well as smooth as it could with a ****ed up rim. The MPG is awesome compared to my 6MT... :D

Just wanted to share my story with you guys. I won't be able to put up any pics seeing as how I left my camera at the dyno and Tom now has it.

Congrats man! My Mom just got her 4.44 running too.:) You should have came to me for the install, I could have done it in 2 or 3 days and it would have cost under a 1/3 of that for PARTS AND LABOR! That dude ripped you off bad.:(

gest24 11-18-2006 03:38 AM

Yeah, I know she got ripped. But she was the one setting everything up.

Off to finish this "Long Distance" test drive.

svxfiles 11-18-2006 09:42 AM

Congratulations on the gears!
It really makes the car.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budfreak
I could have done it in 2 days and it would have cost a 1/3 of that for PARTS AND LABOR!

+1:rolleyes:

SomethingElse 11-20-2006 06:17 PM

Can I add one more too? Ive been looking on car-part.com for a tranny, what is the highest milage you guys would go? im looking for the lowest but they go up to 1300 bux:confused:

Budfreak 11-20-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomethingElse
Can I add one more too? Ive been looking on car-part.com for a tranny, what is the highest milage you guys would go? im looking for the lowest but they go up to 1300 bux:confused:

I usually get the trannies for $325-$350 with between 120K and 135K miles. Mine had 122K miles on it when I threw it in and it now has 13K on it since and works great. My Moms had 132K miles on it and also works perfectly. You shouldn't pay more than $150 for a rear end;)

SomethingElse 11-20-2006 06:36 PM

holy crap thats cheap!! the chepest one i found had unknown milage and it was 500 bux.:eek: where do you get them from?

Budfreak 11-20-2006 06:38 PM

Quote:

holy crap thats cheap!! the chepest one i found had unknown milage and it was 500 bux.:eek: where do you get them from?

Junkyard I know of.;) You should bring it up and I'll do a swap for you.:D

SomethingElse 11-20-2006 06:47 PM

Thanks for your offer:D I actually enjoy working on my cars.. I have a lift,fridge full of beer,kerosene heater and an air compressor:) It would probably still be worth it for me to come out there and pick it up. ive asked svxfiles to keep an eye out too. i did find a rear for 150 but id like some guidance converting my first 4.44 rear

Budfreak 11-20-2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your offer:D I actually enjoy working on my cars.. I have a lift,fridge full of beer,kerosene heater and an air compressor:) It would probably still be worth it for me to come out there and pick it up. ive asked svxfiles to keep an eye out too. i did find a rear for 150 but id like some guidance converting my first 4.44 rear

Heat,lift,air, BEER?!:eek: Want some help??

SomethingElse 11-21-2006 11:23 AM

lmao:) heck yea! I got a rear diff today from a 97ob legacy limited. I heard those are already lsd is that true? picked it up for 100 smackers:D ill be ready in a couple weeks to do a swap. first i gotta part out a totaled burgundydodaux however it spelled.

svxfiles 11-21-2006 05:59 PM

Quote:

lmao:) heck yea! I got a rear diff today from a 97ob legacy limited. I heard those are already lsd is that true? picked it up for 100 smackers:D ill be ready in a couple weeks to do a swap. first i gotta part out a totaled burgundydodaux however it spelled.

No, they are not LSD.:(

Budfreak 11-21-2006 06:56 PM

Quote:

Cool. Just let me know. I'll help for cheap and even pick up the tranny for you on the way there.;)