The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Baseball (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21667)

LarryIII 09-29-2004 11:28 AM

Baseball

I find it interesting that the Yanks have to win 4 out of their last 6 games to finish ahead of the Red Sox.

The Giants will pala their last 3 games at the Dodgers and can beat them if they win. The last game is on Sunday, Oct. 3rd.
Way back when Larry was but a wee tyke, the Giants and Dodgers played another game. The date was Oct. 3, 1954.
Bobby Thompson hit the "Shot Heard 'Round The World", and the Giants won the pennant.

Whoru465 09-29-2004 02:43 PM

Don't worry Larry....The Sox are going all the way this year....;) Like last year, and the year before, and the one before that.......

benebob 09-29-2004 03:15 PM

Re: Baseball

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
I find it interesting that the Yanks have to win 4 out of their last 6 games to finish ahead of the Red Sox.

Yeah Larry, it is quite ironic. Money doesn't buy everything. Now maybe I'd actually care about baseball if it wasn't for the Yanks or if the Yanks came out and actually supported profit sharing but then again, right now, I'm just happy to see that baseball is dying.;) I was hoping my Pirates might actually catch the Phillies a month or so ago. That would've made my year.:D :D

Whoru465 09-29-2004 06:07 PM

Quote:

now maybe I'd actually care about baseball if it wasn't for the Yanks

You can care, root the sox on to win the pennant....:eek: :D

LarryIII 10-01-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Whoru465

You can care, root the sox on to win the pennant....:eek: :D

The Yanks clinched their division last night . Now it's on to the playoffs.

The Red Sox can still win the American League pennant, Whou.
But, watch out for ghosts and other non-corporeal things in Yankee Stadium; or is this also too metaphysical for SVXers? :D :D :D

GO YANKS !!

svxhunter 10-01-2004 06:01 PM

Re: Baseball

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII
The last game is on Sunday, Oct. 3rd.
Way back when Larry was but a wee tyke, the Giants and Dodgers played another game. The date was Oct. 3, 1954.
Bobby Thompson hit the "Shot Heard 'Round The World", and the Giants won the pennant.

That was the NEW YORK Giants and the BROOKLYN Dodgers, and Larry was a wee-er tyke than he'd like to admit- it was 1951.;)

Bobby Thomson is actually a friend of my family- it amazes me that he has managed to parlay a 50+ year career off that one hit.:)

I'm just glad I'm not Ralph Branca, who has also made a 50+ year career out of that one pitch!!:o

The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! :D :D

LarryIII 10-04-2004 04:53 AM

You are correct, it was 1951.
I must have been a wee wee tyke back then. :D :D :D

LarryIII 10-12-2004 02:28 PM

Baseball Playoffs

The Yankees start off tonight against the Red Sox as usual.

I'm rooting for the Yanks (just in case anyone here didn't know).

I'm picking the Yankees in 7 games, but it will be tough. It all depends on the quality of the Red Sox & Yankees middle relief pitchers.
Also, I don't see either the Yanks or Sox beating the St. Louis Cardinals in the World Series.

GO YANKS !!!

n00b on demand 10-12-2004 02:36 PM

I hope the sox win. Dont tell anyone....i fear for my life everytime i say that in NY :(

Whoru465 10-12-2004 04:23 PM

The Sox in 4, Larry.:D Hey I can dream can't I? I have a feeling the whole team in on the wagon this year and its going to be a battle to the death. Hopefully, a true end of the Yank brouhaha...But I fear my fair city will be in flames if it happens...It did when the Pats won the bowl, I can only imagine if the Sox clinch the series! Ahhh....Only 1 1/2 hours till the Yanks slow death....MWAHAHAHAHA:eek: :p

LarryIII 10-13-2004 04:44 AM

Who's Your Daddy?

I actually felt sorry for Curt Schilling. His ankle must really be bothering him.

Whoru,

If the Sox won the series, the Boston fans would not know how to take it. They need the angst and grief of losing to feed on.
Otherwise, the Sox and their fans would become just another mediocre baseball team like the Mets, who were once 'lovable loosers'.

Scoobie,

How could you? I think I'll send an e-mail to the NY Post about you; but I could be persuaded not to, for certain SVX parts. ;) :D

PS: Tonight's game is pivotal.

Questions:

Will both candidates appologize to the American public for scheduling their so called debate during the baseball playoffs?

Will executives at Fox be stoned for scheduling both the AL & NL playoff games at the same time tonight?

Whoru465 10-13-2004 07:31 AM

I agree. This town would lose all momentum and the Sox just might, although I doubt it, turn into the *shiver* Mets. Yea, Schilling must have been hurting, that was a disaster. Although I the glint forme was breaking the perfect game. If we can get a head of steam built up, we'll do ok. It's only game one...:cool:

LarryIII 10-14-2004 04:09 AM

Two games down, two more wins to get to the Cardinals. All the engineers here at work that are Red Sox fans ( 6 total), are concocting ideas and designs for an ankle brace for Schilling's right foot. I'm having some fun with them. I wish Rube Goldberg was still alive and working here. :D :D

Pedro proved that he is now beatable on a semi-regular basis. He is not the great pitcher that he was 3-5 years ago.
If someone had told me that Lieber would have a shutout going against the Sox for 6 innings, I would have said that they were nuts. I guess that's why they play the games.
Now, if Kevin Brown can pitch as well as Mussina & Lieber on Friday night in Boston, then this series is over.

Maybe the Yankee pitching rotation is finally living up to Joe Torre's expectations. I sure hope so.

n00b on demand 10-14-2004 08:12 AM

Well theres 3 games at fenway so anything can happen. Dont count out the stros either..clemens and oswalt getting the go in 3 and 4. But i really dont see anyone beating the cards this yr at all. Yanks and cards would be a nice series to watch.

LarryIII 10-15-2004 04:49 AM

ALCS - 3rd Game

For me, tonight’s game in Fenway Park is the pivotal game. The Yankees must be able to get timely hits and score a lot of runs off of Bronson Arroyo, the Boston Red Sox pitcher. The Yankee pitcher, Kevin Brown, must pitch as good a game as Mike Mussina and Jon Lieber. The key to this series, so far, has been keeping Boston center fielder and leadoff hitter, Johnny Damon off the bases. He is the spark plug that ignites the Red Sox offensive fire power. So far, the Yankee pitchers have done a great job.

I hope Kevin Brown can do the same tonight. If the Yankees win tonight, they can use both ‘El Duke’ and Vasquez to pitch in Saturday’s game. If they lose Saturday, they can start their rotation over by starting Mike Mussina again on Sunday.

I think that the Red Sox pitching rotation is in complete disarray since Schilling is hurt.

As much as I’d like the Yankees to sweep this series in 4 games, I think that the Yanks will win it in 5 on Sunday.

In the NLCS, I think that the Cardinals are just too powerful a team for the Astros to handle. Clemens might win his game, but I can only see the Astros wining one game.

Larry Singer

Lead Process Mech. Eng'r.

Jacobs Engineering Group

610-832-2640