The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Recently replaced rear wheel bearing going... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16121)

Naim 02-02-2004 10:13 AM

Recently replaced rear wheel bearing going...

I just purchased a 95 SVX LSi.
The rear left wheel bearing was recently replaced (previous owner) at a Chysler dealership (400 miles away).
Anyways I have noticed that the left rear wheel bearing seems loud.
If I take things apart, would it be possible (I am assusming that it was improperly installed) to re-install it properly??? I mean using the same bearing (hoping that it is not shot.

Do you think it would be shot with about ~2000 miles put on it?

I will look in the How-to locker for the bearing change...
How bad is it though?

mbtoloczko 02-02-2004 11:10 AM

Have you verified that its the bearing and not the tire? Tires can cause much the same noise.

Once the bearing starts making noise, its not going to stop even if you clean and repack it. Replacing the bearing takes a fair bit of work as you'll see in the "how-to".

Naim 02-02-2004 02:33 PM

No.... I hope it's the tire...
I guess the only way to see if it is the tire is to rotate them....
I guess I will wait a couple days. We're supposed to get snow and it's pretty crappy outside right now...

Let me ask. How difficult is it to install the bearing correct?
For now would it be safe to assume the dealership did it right and it is the tire (I will check in a couple days when it is a bit more decent out).

mbtoloczko 02-02-2004 03:02 PM

Unfortunately, its quite possible the dealership botched the replacement. There are several ways they can botch the job. Some people on the network have reported newly replaced bearings going bad in less than 2000 miles.

If you get the right tool (a hubtamer), its not too hard, but at the minimum, you'll need to be comfortable working on cars.

Naim 02-02-2004 09:10 PM

I feel alright working on cars....
I will try rotating the tires see what happens...
Wonder if a hubtamer is something you can rent or how much to purchase?
Well I guess in a few weeks I will find out.

mbtoloczko 02-03-2004 12:19 AM

Someone here on the network might have one you can rent/borrow.

Seraph 02-03-2004 12:36 AM

Naim,

Just make sure that you put it in nicely. Just ask Doug how bad it could get if the bearings is not put in correctly. :D

Congrats on the SVX. We should get a mini meet next time I come up to see Doug.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Seraph/2383.jpg

BTW, I replaced my bearings 2 days before the Reading 3. On the day of the trip, you get the above picture in the middle of nowhere. :(

Naim 02-03-2004 06:28 AM

Doug is one busy boy right now with the house... I am going to have to hunt him down soon :rolleyes: .
I mini meet would be cool... Hopefully It'll get a little decent out soon.

mohrds 02-03-2004 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Naim
Doug is one busy boy right now with the house... I am going to have to hunt him down soon :rolleyes: .
I mini meet would be cool... Hopefully It'll get a little decent out soon.

That and I've been working a lot of 7AM to 9PM days at work. Except last night which was 10:30PM. Oh, and weekends too :(

Lwin, I didn't feel like calling you that late last night and risk waking up your folks.

Doug

SVX Master Tech 02-03-2004 01:11 PM

nother thing is wood be if you hav sloted brake rotors back there rear the sloted ones can make that sound but that is normal for those rotors

Green1995SVX 02-03-2004 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX Master Tech
nother thing is wood be if you hav sloted brake rotors back there rear the sloted ones can make that sound but that is normal for those rotors
Grap on my rotors?

red95svx 02-04-2004 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVX Master Tech

Master Tech, eh? I wonder why I doubt this....

Dave (I'm a Master Tech too, dammit. I bought the jacket patch yesterday:))

Seraph 02-04-2004 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

That and I've been working a lot of 7AM to 9PM days at work. Except last night which was 10:30PM. Oh, and weekends too :(

Lwin, I didn't feel like calling you that late last night and risk waking up your folks.

Doug

That's ok. I normally work from 5PM to kingdom come (2-4AM) at the client site in downtown chicago so the only people you'd wake up would be my coworkers who shouLd not be sleeping. :D :D

L