The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Road Trip (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24075)

LarryIII 01-26-2005 04:55 AM

Road Trip

Monday night I drove up to Syracuse, NY to perform an equipment inspection and some testing for work at a manufacturer's shop. I took 'SUBYDOO' ('97 SVX LSi) and left my house at 3:15 AM. I arrived at the shop at 7:45 AM. The route is I-95N to The Blue Route north (I-476), then north on the PA Turnpike, northeast extentsion , and finally I-81N into Syracuse.

I have done this drive many times. It is quite interesting because the route goes thru the Poccono Mountains and you never know what kind of weather conditions await you. As an example, I went from bright moonlight to whiteout conditions just by cresting a mountain. I like to drive at night because the roads are generally empty (just the truckers and me) and the cops are few.

Penn DOT does a much poorer job of keeping the roads clear of snow & ice then NY state (or even Deleware).

The funniest thing was seeing a Hummer stuck in the snow on the center median strip on I-81 just north of Cortland, NY about 7:00 AM. The median strip is a wide swale and the Hummer couldn't climb out.
Some of the guy's in the shop saw it and we joked about it during the tests.

The drive home was uneventful. I left Syracuse at 1:30 PM and pulled into the garage at 6:00 PM.
I made one stop on the way home. There is a place just off
I-81 in Lenox, PA. It is called Bingham's Family Restaurant. They make the greatest 'homemade' pies. I picked up a blueberry for Rosie and an apple for me. If any of you are in the area, I suggest that you stop for a 'slice'.

I have previosly driven other makes of cars on this trip, but I prefer the SVX over all of them.

Well I'll sign off now. I think I'll have a cup of coffee and a piece of apple pie. ;)

ensteele 01-26-2005 08:52 AM

I am glad it was uneventful and you had a good drive. It is always fun to go on any kind of a road trip. :)

benebob 01-26-2005 11:14 AM

Re: Road Trip

Quote:

Originally posted by LarryIII

Penn DOT does a much poorer job of keeping the roads clear of snow & ice then NY state (or even Deleware).

;)

That is a beautiful drive through the poconos there! As for the poorer roads it is simply because PA has more roads per square mile than any other state in the country. The shear volume makes keeping them clear very difficult. NY does fine with the major roads but at the expense of their side roads.

What are you complaining about? You got the perfect car for it:D :D :D .

n00b on demand 01-26-2005 01:28 PM

That seems like a longggg drive and it only took you that short of time? Syracuse is so far from here...about 8 hr drive. Bring some pie to the next meet :D :D :D