The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I HATE drunks that drive! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1952)

Chris 11-10-2001 08:49 AM

I HATE drunks that drive!

Well, with most of my frustration vented in the announcment, I suppose the least I can do is be grateful that dad is letting me use the RV generator to keep things alive here. This will also prove to be an interesting learing experience when it comes time to buy a house and move the server again (way in the future.) There is something to be said for a backup generator.
So, again on the bright side.....
The SVX Network is being sposored today by:

Dad (you know, the guy who always seems to help you out when you need it)

and

Onan Generators: Dependable power systems (at least as long as they have gas)
American Power Conversions (APC): 600VA UPS
Best Power Technologies: Fortress 1.4KVA UPS

SVXphile 11-10-2001 10:39 AM

Drunks and generators

Chris,
Once again, a big thanks for all you do to keep the network together, and drunks don't help! When I was in the 6th grade, a friend of mine was killed right before my eyes by a drunk driver. Naturally, I have a rather set opinion of people who drive under the influence.
At least it sounds like you have a heck of a backup system for those bitter winter days when the power might go out!
Don

vkykam 11-10-2001 10:39 AM

Chris,

Interesting tidbit: if you use the search new posts function (which many of us do), your announcement doesn't show up in the search.

So for those of you reading the above with no clue what Chris is referring to, here it is: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/anno...p?s=&forumid=2

I have no tolerance for drunk drivers either. My philosophy is, if you want to go kill yourself, go ahead, just don't take others down with you. :mad:

VK

Chris 11-10-2001 11:00 AM

What a number!

Well, the initial accident happened at roughly 1:30am. The power outage then was a short 20 minutes. The UPS's did hteir job flawless and the problems were invisible to you guys. Then, the power company had to take off the main lines at 6am to start the pole replace and repair. They said it would be about 3 hours. Well, now they are saying 12 or 1pm. Good grief! Im spent. I am going to just turn my overhead lights on, and plug in a portable stereo with the volume up s when the power DOES come back on, I will know when I can transfer the poerations back to outside line power. Until then, Gnight. I need a NAP bad. Gonna get grumpy.

Chris 11-10-2001 11:02 AM

Re: Drunks and generators

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
Chris,
Once again, a big thanks for all you do to keep the network together, and drunks don't help! When I was in the 6th grade, a friend of mine was killed right before my eyes by a drunk driver. Naturally, I have a rather set opinion of people who drive under the influence.
At least it sounds like you have a heck of a backup system for those bitter winter days when the power might go out!
Don

Oh.. And no problem. Just keep in mind that I plan to use you ALL as a personal reference when it comes time I get an interveiw for another IT job!

vkykam 11-10-2001 12:36 PM

Re: Re: Drunks and generators

Are you SURE you want us Wackos to be reference??

Let's see... Aredub and his zebra striped undies along with his tater... Larry with 3 eyes... Mr. Pockets and his potty mouth... Eddycat and his robe... Don and his puns... Ron Mummert and his, uh, "insights", yeah, that's it, yeah... And all of us with a rather strange obsession...

:D :cool:

VK

P.S. Speaking of Aredub, I've noticed that the postings are WAY down over the past few days. :D Have we finally chased him off? :D ;)

Quote:

Originally posted by Chris

Oh.. And no problem. Just keep in mind that I plan to use you ALL as a personal reference when it comes time I get an interveiw for another IT job!

Seraph 11-10-2001 01:07 PM

Hey Chris

Thanks for the info and updates and sleepless night due to some idiot.

You are great!!

As for the drunk, I hope it hurts too. I have seen too many drunks on the streets as of late and I am finding a way to get rid of them. CPD has better things to do then chase dunks it seems :(

Lwin

Chris 11-10-2001 04:52 PM

UPDATE!

Well, the power has been out since 6am and it is now 4:50pm and guess what?! Yup. Still no power. I am downright amazed that the generator has lasted this long. Two weeks ago it was winterized along with the the rest of the RV and I am not sure now much fuel is left. I called Idaho Power and there is NO estimate on the power return time except "somtime tonight." Lets just keep our fingers crossed and hope it gets fixed before we run out of gas! I dont know about you guys, but this is getting a bit redicuous.

SVXphile 11-10-2001 04:56 PM

Aredub?

I just left him a message on his answering machine that we were wondering about him.
Maybe he's on a business trip somewhere and he's laptopless...:rolleyes: Don

Chris 11-10-2001 05:07 PM

YEA!

Power is restored. Looks a bit "dirty" though. Monitor is flickering a bit. Odd. Anyways, The crisis appears to be done for the moment.

SVXphile 11-10-2001 05:08 PM

Profiled...

<Let's see... Aredub and his zebra striped undies along with his tater... Larry with 3 eyes... Mr. Pockets and his potty mouth... Eddycat
and his robe... Don and his puns... Ron Mummert and his, uh, "insights", yeah, that's it, yeah... And all of us with a rather strange
obsession... >

Gee...come to think of it, we ARE a scary lot aren't we? :eek: :cool: :D Don

Aredubjay 11-10-2001 11:34 PM

Re: Aredub?

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXphile
I just left him a message on his answering machine that we were wondering about him.
Maybe he's on a business trip somewhere and he's laptopless...:rolleyes: Don

Hey guys. Nice of you to notice and be concerned. No need. I was on a whirlwind trip to Phoenix with no time to even plug my laptop in. Out at 9:00 on Wed for a four hour flight with an hour on the ground in Chi-town (just enough time to get from one end of O'Hare to the other). Hit Phoenix at around 2 Local time. Did a show walkthrough, dinner, client rehearsal, hit the rack. Crew call 6:30 Thursday. Played "gopher" for the first session, then, did my "magic" (read almost 200 award recipients in rapid fire fashion) as award recipients came across stage for grip 'n' grin. Session was over around 3. Had a little chill time before dinner at 6:30 -- but didn't get to chill -- new projects reported from the office. Dinner at 6:30 at the "Rusty Pelican" off property (The Pointe At South Mountain). . . a couple of beers at the sports bar on property and hit the rack. I didn't have to be at the next morning's session, so, I slept til 7, got up and ironed my clothes and dressed -- caught a cab for the airport at 9:30 (had to switch flights so's I could fly back with my boss -- scheduled out at 9:50, but had to change flight to 11:40 -- took a little time. Had some time to kill at the airport, grabbed some breakfast at a little snack bar, where I met Joseph Herrmann -- he was sucking down a Bud and was totally hammered, but, I seem to attract that kinda person in airports. He informed me he was a tranny mechanic on his way to Honolulu to work for "Western Transmissions." We got to talking about the wonderful 4EAT and how mine was slipping after a recent rebuild and he gave me the name of a guy in Scottsdale that he said was the best tranny mechanic in the whole world (he was "hammered" remember) and told me to ship my tranny to him, and he'd take care of me -- I'd never need another tranny after he got through with it. Oh, well -- it's an option. Hopped on the plane at about 11:20, five hours back to Evansville -- took the boss to the office, checked some stuff, got home about 7pm, where I logged on, only to find too darned many posts to read (I was tired).

Sorry, this is way too long, and nobody even cares anyway, but, I'm trying to make up for lost time with a long post instead of MANY.

Again, thank you for caring. :)

Mr. Pockets 11-11-2001 02:30 PM

Re: Re: Aredub?

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Hey guys. Nice of you to notice and be concerned. No need. I was on a whirlwind trip to Phoenix with no time to even plug my laptop in. Out at 9:00 on Wed for a four hour flight with an hour on the ground in Chi-town (just enough time to get from one end of O'Hare to the other). Hit Phoenix at around 2 Local time. Did a show walkthrough, dinner, client rehearsal, hit the rack. Crew call 6:30 Thursday. Played "gopher" for the first session, then, did my "magic" (read almost 200 award recipients in rapid fire fashion) as award recipients came across stage for grip 'n' grin. Session was over around 3. Had a little chill time before dinner at 6:30 -- but didn't get to chill -- new projects reported from the office. Dinner at 6:30 at the "Rusty Pelican" off property (The Pointe At South Mountain). . . a couple of beers at the sports bar on property and hit the rack. I didn't have to be at the next morning's session, so, I slept til 7, got up and ironed my clothes and dressed -- caught a cab for the airport at 9:30 (had to switch flights so's I could fly back with my boss -- scheduled out at 9:50, but had to change flight to 11:40 -- took a little time. Had some time to kill at the airport, grabbed some breakfast at a little snack bar, where I met Joseph Herrmann -- he was sucking down a Bud and was totally hammered, but, I seem to attract that kinda person in airports. He informed me he was a tranny mechanic on his way to Honolulu to work for "Western Transmissions." We got to talking about the wonderful 4EAT and how mine was slipping after a recent rebuild and he gave me the name of a guy in Scottsdale that he said was the best tranny mechanic in the whole world (he was "hammered" remember) and told me to ship my tranny to him, and he'd take care of me -- I'd never need another tranny after he got through with it. Oh, well -- it's an option. Hopped on the plane at about 11:20, five hours back to Evansville -- took the boss to the office, checked some stuff, got home about 7pm, where I logged on, only to find too darned many posts to read (I was tired).

Sorry, this is way too long, and nobody even cares anyway, but, I'm trying to make up for lost time with a long post instead of MANY.

Again, thank you for caring. :)

Oh, good - because I assure you we were all just burning with curiosity at 7AM on Thursday.

'Just WHAT is Randy doing RIGHT NOW?! It is my hope upon hopes that he will tell me some day!'

cocacola08 11-12-2001 10:05 AM

Poster Boy for Drunken Driving

Last week here in Ft.Wayne, an off duty cop, crossed over the center line, and ran head-on to a car in oncoming traffic.

Initial reports stated he died due to head trauma from the wreck.

Further investigation showed otherwise.

After the wreck the cop got out, walked over the other car and said, "Are you OK?" the walked back to his car. He did this 3 times. Upon returning to his car, after the third trip, he shot himself in the head..

His blood-alchohol level was 3 times the legal limit @ 0.26

Mr. Pockets 11-12-2001 12:23 PM

Re: Poster Boy for Drunken Driving

Quote:

Originally posted by cocacola08
Last week here in Ft.Wayne, an off duty cop, crossed over the center line, and ran head-on to a car in oncoming traffic.

Initial reports stated he died due to head trauma from the wreck.

Further investigation showed otherwise.

After the wreck the cop got out, walked over the other car and said, "Are you OK?" the walked back to his car. He did this 3 times. Upon returning to his car, after the third trip, he shot himself in the head..

His blood-alchohol level was 3 times the legal limit @ 0.26

Dare I ask what happened to the person(s) in the other car?

I've been drunk all of once in my entire life, and I knew then (as I do now) that there was no way I could have driven.