The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cleaning the MAF (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43902)

kwren 03-22-2008 12:17 PM

Cleaning the MAF

Anyone know where the information is. I saw it a while back:confused:
Thanks,
Keith

svxistentialist 03-22-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 536545)
Anyone know where the information is. I saw it a while back:confused:
Thanks,
Keith

Hi Keith

You will find it on this page:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14243

It is in with the Engine information. It's a Word document, you have to download and open it.

Joe

ensteele 03-22-2008 02:53 PM

Always check the How-To Documents! There is alot in there. I am hoping to get the new system up and running very soon. It will be easier to use and be easier to find things - I think. :)

kwren 03-22-2008 04:20 PM

Not in the how 2's

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 536570)
Always check the How-To Documents! There is alot in there. I am hoping to get the new system up and running very soon. It will be easier to use and be easier to find things - I think. :)

that I could find :(

ensteele 03-22-2008 07:10 PM

Were you able to find it now? :)

kwren 03-22-2008 08:23 PM

no...................

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele (Post 536601)
Were you able to find it now? :)

no..............
do you know where it is??

kwren 03-22-2008 08:28 PM

Yes!

It is there now thanks.
Keith

kwren 03-22-2008 08:41 PM

And it is....

Excellent!

manta 04-12-2008 02:13 AM

I bought my SVX in December. I drove it from Detroit to Houston with no problems. After a while the car started to die for no reason, on the highway and at the stoplight. If you revved the engine you may keep it going, but most of the time not.
I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, both water temp. Sensors, cleaned MAF, swapped with known working MAF (wouldn’t even start). Nothing worked, it still would die whenever it wanted to. I thought maybe this car was possessed, like the old show My Mother the Car staring Jerry Van Dyke, but no this is just a machine. I thought maybe it's the TPS, so I bought a new TPS and took it to a Subaru dealer to have them swap out with the old the TPS. They ran a diagnostic and it said the problem was the MAF and it would cost 500.00 dollars if they could find a new MAF. They said that they would go a head and change out the TPS for 95.00. I sad never mind.
Remembering the second part of cleaning Your MAF, I took the top off of the MAF and took the MAF to a local electronic repair shop and showed the man what to re solder according to the instructions. (I took a copy with me.) One minute and 10.00 dollars later he finished. I replaced the MAF and the car has not died on me ever since.

kwren 04-12-2008 02:56 AM

Manta!

That is wonderful!
Thanks to all that give us the great input from the dedicated people on this form that keeps us in business when the dealers can't!
Congrats on a job well done!!!!
Keith

svxistentialist 04-12-2008 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 540928)
I bought my SVX in December. I drove it from Detroit to Houston with no problems. After a while the car started to die for no reason, on the highway and at the stoplight. If you revved the engine you may keep it going, but most of the time not.
I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, both water temp. Sensors, cleaned MAF, swapped with known working MAF (wouldn’t even start). Nothing worked, it still would die whenever it wanted to. I thought maybe this car was possessed, like the old show My Mother the Car staring Jerry Van Dyke, but no this is just a machine. I thought maybe it's the TPS, so I bought a new TPS and took it to a Subaru dealer to have them swap out with the old the TPS. They ran a diagnostic and it said the problem was the MAF and it would cost 500.00 dollars if they could find a new MAF. They said that they would go a head and change out the TPS for 95.00. I sad never mind.
Remembering the second part of cleaning Your MAF, I took the top off of the MAF and took the MAF to a local electronic repair shop and showed the man what to re solder according to the instructions. (I took a copy with me.) One minute and 10.00 dollars later he finished. I replaced the MAF and the car has not died on me ever since.

That is absolutely brilliant, Manta. :eek: Thank you for letting us know.

Your scheme of going to an electronics shop to get the soldering done, very clever, very cheap, and a very good tip for the members at large.

Nice one dude. ;)

Joe:)

LetItSnow 04-12-2008 05:57 AM

Should this be done as preventative or regular maintenance, or would it be a good idea to just leave it alone unless the engine starts to have troubles?

svxistentialist 04-12-2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetItSnow (Post 540939)
Should this be done as preventative or regular maintenance, or would it be a good idea to just leave it alone unless the engine starts to have troubles?

It is age related.

The solder joints get loose due to the extremes of temperature cycling under the hood over time.

You question is good though. This is something that, at the price, I would immediately consider doing if I got those cutting out erratically symptoms. What would you have to lose?

Joe

EDIT: But no, I would not consider touching it as a maintenance procedure, unless I got the symptoms. Leave well enough alone, don't cross bridges yadda yadda

kwren 04-12-2008 01:00 PM

I bought MAF cleaner in a spray can.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxistentialist (Post 540944)
It is age related.

The solder joints get loose due to the extremes of temperature cycling under the hood over time.

You question is good though. This is something that, at the price, I would immediately consider doing if I got those cutting out erratically symptoms. What would you have to lose?

Joe

EDIT: But no, I would not consider touching it as a maintenance procedure, unless I got the symptoms. Leave well enough alone, don't cross bridges yadda yadda

and on the can, it says the MAF should be sprayed each time the air filter is changed. Of course, they sell the stuff and want it used! I probably will play their game and do that.
The soldering thing is a different ball game but With my doner MAF still working, because it is an extra one, I will probably go into it and re-solder it to get a leg up on a possible problem.
But that is just me. :D

Keith

CorSVXette 04-17-2008 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manta (Post 540928)
swapped with known working MAF (wouldn’t even start).

:confused:...known working MAF :confused: If you swaped it with a "known working maf" and it still didn't start ...... I am guessing that that "known working MAF" was NOT working:confused: