The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hide-A-Key (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27657)

Sybaris 08-01-2005 04:21 PM

Hide-A-Key

Anybody use it? If so, where did you put it?

I can't find enough exposed metal (without crawling under the car) to stick it to.

mohrds 08-01-2005 05:13 PM

Remember, this forum is visible to the whole world. Be careful when getting too specific.

A spare plain key (no plastic thumbgrip) will fit pretty well in even the smallest wallets.

Doug

Noir 08-01-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohrds
Remember, this forum is visible to the whole world. Be careful when getting too specific.

A spare plain key (no plastic thumbgrip) will fit pretty well in even the smallest wallets.

Doug

But what if I lose my wallet or it gets stolen? Now they have my license which could have an accurate location of my vehicle and/or home.

Fishwire. That's all you need. ;)

ssnsltd 08-01-2005 06:39 PM

just in front of the ABS control. Not a great idea to reach for it if the car is hot though.

magickfingers 08-01-2005 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir
But what if I lose my wallet or it gets stolen? Now they have my license which could have an accurate location of my vehicle and/or home.

Fishwire. That's all you need. ;)

Whenever i get a new car, the first thing i do is get two spare keys made. One goes in my wallet and i give the other one to my sister. Haven't been locked out in years...
Marc

94svxred 08-02-2005 06:38 AM

I have one right under the driver door handle :cool: There should be enough metal there to keep it in place(yes of course underneath the car, so no need for cranks ;) ) But now that I told you i'll have to look for a new spot :eek: :eek: :D

Ricochet 08-02-2005 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94svxred
I have one right under the driver door handle :cool:

That's gotta be the most insanely retarded thing I've ever heard of in my life. The first thing a car thief checks for is whether the door is unlocked or not, and finding the damn key there would just make it 100x easier. Congratulations, now he can just start the car by himself and drive away.

svxistentialist 08-02-2005 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet
That's gotta be the most insanely retarded thing I've ever heard of in my life. The first thing a car thief checks for is whether the door is unlocked or not, and finding the damn key there would just make it 100x easier. Congratulations, now he can just start the car by himself and drive away.

Hi there Ricochet,

It is OK to have a strong opinion and voice it. It is not OK to use descriptive language that can be hurtful or offensive on this site.

I'm taking into account that you are new to the Network. In that case, you may not realise that we tend to be friendly and civil towards other SVXers.

It would be a good idea if you edited and rephrased your post.

Thanks,

Joe

mohrds 08-02-2005 07:50 AM

Quote:

He said "yes of course underneath the car, so no need for cranks".

Please read and understand before you go off on someone. Otherwise, it makes you look foolish for not reading properly.

Doug

red95svx 08-02-2005 07:56 AM

You could always use a plastic zip tie and attach it to something underneath the car. Of course, you'll need a knife or razor blade to cut the zip tie open to release the key.

You may also want to make sure that your door lock cylinders work in the first place. The remote door unlock has been used for so many years on my 95 that the door lock cylinders have turned to junk. They will not turn with a key:(

Dave

thundering02 08-02-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red95svx
You could always use a plastic zip tie and attach it to something underneath the car. Of course, you'll need a knife or razor blade to cut the zip tie open to release the key.
Dave

As long as you don't use a really good one or a couple most should be able to be twisted off by the leverage of the key. But being that low I figure your going to have to clean the crud off it to use it.

Noir 08-02-2005 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magickfingers
Whenever i get a new car, the first thing i do is get two spare keys made. One goes in my wallet and i give the other one to my sister. Haven't been locked out in years...
Marc

knocks on wood

but i've never locked myself out of my car before. considering i always have an alarm system on the car with remote locking and unlocking features. i just thought for those people who lose their keys habitually, they could wear it around their necks like a medallion. :p

i guess they could always wear those kangaroo or whatever sneakers with a pocket on them for a key. :p

94svxred 08-02-2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

Just for ypur info :rolleyes: I had put an EMPTY Hide-a-key under the car to see if it would stay there. Just as a test!! :D :D I have also never locked myself out ;) (UNDERNEATH MY CAR) Duh :eek:

svxcess 08-02-2005 07:20 PM

I'm passing this email on from Harry (newsvx) Newman to all those who may have locked their keys in the car.

>Passing on worth a try if you are locked out...
>Worth a try, it's amazing (for those of us who never thought of it
>before now . I wonder if that is how "Onstar " does it too.
>
>Subject: Locked the keys in the car?
>
>This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:
>If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home,
>call someone on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot
>from your car door and have the other person at your home
>press the unlock button on the remote, holding it near the phone
>on their end. Your car will unlock.

>Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you.
>Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away,
>and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote"
>for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

immortal_suby 08-02-2005 07:46 PM

If that works I'll be damned. That is cool.