The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OK...now I am really getting mad... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7613)

cascott 12-17-2002 10:41 AM

OK...now I am really getting mad...

This SVX is going to be the end of me...AND my money before long.:D If this thing didn't drive so well, and was such a good winter car with the Blizzaks I'd shoot it and put it out our misery.;)

Problems that have cropped up in the past month:

1) Motor for rear wiper died;
2) the "stop lights", idiot light comes on intermittenly when I put the brakes on;
3) the driver's side seat refuses to "un-recline". The motor will recline the seat, but will only "un-recline" to about 2/3. I look like a gangsta. :p
4) the driver's side seat refuses release to allow a person to get into the back seat (the piano wire inside hs broken, I guess).

If anyone has any ideas on items 2 and 3 let me know. Otherwise I think I going to load up the 12 guage....:D

r/-c

mohrds 12-17-2002 11:47 AM

Re: OK...now I am really getting mad...

Quote:

Originally posted by cascott
This SVX is going to be the end of me...AND my money before long.:D If this thing didn't drive so well, and was such a good winter car with the Blizzaks I'd shoot it and put it out our misery.;)

2) the "stop lights", idiot light comes on intermittenly when I put the brakes on;
3) the driver's side seat refuses to "un-recline". The motor will recline the seat, but will only "un-recline" to about 2/3. I look like a gangsta. :p
4) the driver's side seat refuses release to allow a person to get into the back seat (the piano wire inside hs broken, I guess).

If anyone has any ideas on items 2 and 3 let me know. Otherwise I think I going to load up the 12 guage....:D

r/-c

#2 is easy. You have a stop lamp that is dying in the rear lights. I used to replace all four at once, but you can do two at a time (unless you find a single pack of bulbs at the auto store) and see if it stays out for a month. If not, switch the bulbs around.

#3. Try pushing the seatback forward as you work the switch. It may be that the hinges are gunked up or the motor is getting weak.

#4. Remove seat back, take out wire, go to hardware store, get replacement wire and clamps, install.

Doug

Aredubjay 12-17-2002 11:51 AM

Quote:

r/-c

You sure it's the motor, and not a fuse. Perhaps the wiper froze and you kicked the fuse. Just a thought.

The "idiot light" may be caused by corosion or build up of some type in one of the brake lights. Maybe just a loose connection. It's regulated by all of the brake lights including the ones in the center panel.

Make sure there isn't a water bottle or some other obstruction that has rolled under the seat and gotten wedged in the seat mechanism. The fact that the mechanism actually moves the seat, tells me that either the cable needs adjustment of some sort, or, there's an obstruction. If it were broken, I would think, that it wouldn't operate at all.

These are just my thoughts.

cascott 12-23-2002 10:33 AM

thanx for the replies. but...

Could the "stop lights" idiot light also be an indicator for worn pads? For the first time this morning, when pulling ourt of the garage, I thought I could hear a slight grinding sound when I put on the brakes.

I'm going to have to take the beast in to the Subbey dealer here in Anchorage any how to look at how much it will cost to fix this darn reclined driver's seat. Motor will not move forward at all now. Tried pushing the seat while hitting the recline switch. Nada.
I am a "GANGSTA!" :D

-c

mohrds 12-23-2002 11:38 AM

Re: thanx for the replies. but...

Quote:

Could the "stop lights" idiot light also be an indicator for worn pads? For the first time this morning, when pulling ourt of the garage, I thought I could hear a slight grinding sound when I put on the brakes.
No connection whatsoever between pad life and indicator lights. There is no indicator other than the metal tabs that start squealing when the pads get low.

Doug

gcookaustin 12-23-2002 01:24 PM

Quote:

2: Mine did that until I replaced the bulb. Apparently sometimes the bulb would not illuminate. I drove until I got the light again and then pulled over to see what it was (had to put something on the break pedal).
3: Try getting out of the car and un-reclining the seat while not sitting in it. Sometimes my power seat does not work if you're sitting in it.

svxistentialist 12-24-2002 04:45 AM

Fluid level?

Check your fluid level in the reservoir. I found that switch in there to be finickity.

When you use the brakes you pump fluid into the pistons. This may be enough to dip your fluid level below the switch turn-on.

Put in a small amount of fluid. If the flickering goes away, that is the problem.

Joe:)

PS If fluid level is low, do check all four wheels, the flexy pipes, for a slow leak. You may have a leak somewhere that needs looking at.

cascott 12-24-2002 10:04 AM

thanx, SVX. Actually that was the

first thing I checked. It was maybe a hair low. I filled it, but the problem persists.

All my brake lights appear to be working, which is REALLY strange:confused:.

r/-c

Aredubjay 12-24-2002 10:16 AM

Re: thanx, SVX. Actually that was the

Quote:

first thing I checked. It was maybe a hair low. I filled it, but the problem persists.

All my brake lights appear to be working, which is REALLY strange:confused:.

r/-c

The "stop light" light has nothing to do with the fluid level. That would be the "BRAKE" light.

The first time I got this alert, I checked my brake lights and they all worked . . . or, so I thought. Did you check the ones in the center panel?

If all of them pan out, try this -- pull each bulb and spray the receptical with some contact cleaner (or, WD-40 works). There may just be some rust or corrosion (have you ever had condensation in your tail lights?), that's gunking them up.

BTW, does anyone know how the "stop lamp checker" works?

kuoh 12-24-2002 10:17 AM

The SVX does not have a burnt bulb sensor for the brakes, so bulbs are not the cause of your problem. The most common cause for this is usually either a sticky fluid level sensor or incorrectly seated seal on the reservoir cap. Fresh clean fluid usually takes care of the sticky sensor. The seal on the cap has to be folded in correctly, otherwise the air trapped between the cap and the seal forces it to push down on the sensor when the cap is tightened, triggering the indicator. One other cause could be worn pads. There are no sensors on the pads, other than the squealers, but they do cause the fluid level to do down, sometimes to the point where the level sensor is triggered.

KuoH

Aredubjay 12-24-2002 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
The SVX does not have a burnt bulb sensor for the brakes, so bulbs are not the cause of your problem. KuoH
Uhm, beg pardon. TEST: Go to your SVX and pull one of your brake lights out. Go look at your dash.

Aredubjay 12-24-2002 10:39 AM

Okay, had to go out to my car and get my manual, and it's darned cold outside and drizzling rain (soon to turn to snow -- they think).

It's actually "stop lamp" on the dash.

From the '92 owner's manual:

Brake Light Bulb Out Warning Light ------ STOP LAMP

The brake light warning light comes on when the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position. After the engine starts it should go out. If a brake light bulb is burned out, this warning light comes on when the brake pedal is pressed while the engine is running. Always replace burned out bulbs as soon as possible.
*The right and left brake lights have two bulbs each. If both bulbs are burned out, the brake light warning light will not come on.

PS: Did anyone know that the 92 SVX once had a "passive arming" feature that set the alarm without locking the doors within 45 seconds of your leaving the car after the ignition was turned off and the security button was on? It was "upgraded" out in a program set forth by Subaru, early in the 92 Model Year. :D:D:D:D

ensteele 12-24-2002 10:41 AM

Re: Re: thanx, SVX. Actually that was the

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

Pretty good! :D :p

Aredubjay 12-24-2002 10:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: thanx, SVX. Actually that was the

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93

Pretty good! :D :p

:rolleyes:

mohrds 12-24-2002 10:48 AM

Re: Re: thanx, SVX. Actually that was the

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay
Yes. I do.

Doug