The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Why God WHY!!!!??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12666)

NomadTW 08-18-2003 02:43 AM

Why God WHY!!!!???

my car is dead

there is a loud thunking noise that is coming from the transmission

it got faster as the car increased and only when the gas is on, but it was independant of engine rpm's,

the car is currently broken down on the side of the road about 10 min from my house, and about 10 min from kerven subaru...

anyone have any ideas what this might be?

the car still accelerates, but i was afraid to after stopping at a sign it was really bad, and i pulled off the side of the road...

i can fell the clunking

huck369 08-18-2003 05:21 AM

Sounds like the front diff:( ....the bright side, it's cheaper than a tranny rebuild;)

Green1995SVX 08-18-2003 07:47 AM

I agree. Sounds like the front diff. I would imagine the added pressure on the front diff in combination with the loss of fluid a couple months ago made it break.

Mike

elninoalex 08-18-2003 08:43 AM

Oh I hate that noise. I had 3 teeth knocked off of my ring gear in the front diff. I feel for ya man.

Quick, somebody buy his OBS!

NomadTW 08-18-2003 09:40 AM

can i drive the car w/o the teeth w/o risking further damage to anythikgn else/ other gears in the difff

if only one of the gears has teeth knocked off of it...

can i just replace that gear, or does the entire thign need replaced

NomadTW 08-18-2003 12:14 PM

how much did it cost u to fix it elnino?

i plan to do the work myself tho... and hopefully get the diff from the parts car..

huck369 08-18-2003 01:10 PM

You'll have to pull the tranny to swap the front diff's....so it'd be a good time to swap in a Legacy 4.11 front and rear diff:D ...or better yet, go ahead with the 5 speed swap;)

lee 08-18-2003 04:59 PM

DON'T drive it. As the teeth go round and fail to mesh, they load the case and it's aluminum. I had to buy another case which at the time meant buy a whole transaxle from a salvage yard. If your's is only making noise under throttle, you may have stopped in time to just need gear replacement.

NomadTW 08-19-2003 01:03 AM

oh no, it's dead
completely dead
i can feel when the missing tooth/teeth try to mesh it's horrible

the 5 speed swap would be nice but i don't have the 1000 bux that it's gonna cost me to do it yet

i don't even have the money to find a salvage yard transmission

altho putting in the 4.11's in the svx w/ the auto would be nice,

i figure while i'm in there w/ the tranny pulled i'll try to fix the solenoid 3 (which is what i hope is why my awd is broken)

GreenMarine 08-19-2003 07:54 AM

Do 4.11's in the Auto!!!! I bet that would just launch off the line.... Probably be even faster than a 5 Speed!!!! Porter's feels like it pulls harder than mine!!! He just has a regular tranny though... But he does have a suspension and That does make a BIG diffrence in braking feel... Could go both ways...

NomadTW 08-19-2003 11:34 AM

the 4.11's wouldn't make nearly the difference that the whole 5mt would make... the gearing is still super tall even w/o the 4.11's isn't it?

elninoalex 08-19-2003 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by huck369
You'll have to pull the tranny to swap the front diff's....so it'd be a good time to swap in a Legacy 4.11 front and rear diff:D ...or better yet, go ahead with the 5 speed swap;)
I couldn't have said it better myself. If you have any future aspirations of doing a 5 spd swap, now is the time. If you want to fix the front diff, then you need to replace the ring and pinion, which I think are around $500 new. Probably ate up the pinion bearings to, which are almost $200 for the pair. Requires disassembly of the diff case and rear extension because the pinion goes all the way through the tranny. If your tranny is suspect to begin with, it doesn't like a wise move to fix it. Finding used front diffs is very difficult. 5spd 5spd 5spd.

Stephen
PS. When I fixed mine, I got a Subaru reman with Level 10 valvebody for $3500.

Porter 08-19-2003 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NomadTW
the 4.11's wouldn't make nearly the difference that the whole 5mt would make... the gearing is still super tall even w/o the 4.11's isn't it?
Bah, so do the 4.444 front and rear diff out of a 2000+ Impreza RS automatic. Should bolt right up. I dunno if the rear axles will fit, seems like they would but you'll have to talk to someone who's done an LSD to LSD swap.

Phast SVX 08-19-2003 09:40 PM

you know i gave randy my old diff awhile back, email ardub and see if he has it still or if he ended up using it.
phil

NomadTW 08-19-2003 10:54 PM

oh i already have the used diff
mike's parts car will be donating that

the rest of the tranny is not suspect in the slightest
no slipping at all, tranny is in excelent condition

i'll start looking around the junkyards for some 4.11's
what cars have the 4.11's?