The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Big electrical problem!!!!NEED HELP!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54923)

Svx1974 06-28-2010 05:09 PM

Big electrical problem!!!!NEED HELP!!!

My car only does this randomly....but i can drive it for weeks and no problems...then all of the sudden the speedo,rpm gauge,start to sure up and down...then when i shut it off it wont start....then when i let it sit for a hour or so it starts back up!!!its slowly getting more frequent...any help would be nice..it only has around 85,000 miles....PLEASE HELP!!!!

Trevor 06-28-2010 05:26 PM

Re: Big electrical problem!!!!NEED HELP!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svx1974 (Post 651225)
My car only does this randomly....but i can drive it for weeks and no problems...then all of the sudden the speedo,rpm gauge,start to sure up and down...then when i shut it off it wont start....then when i let it sit for a hour or so it starts back up!!!its slowly getting more frequent...any help would be nice..it only has around 85,000 miles....PLEASE HELP!!!!

Exactly what is involved when "it wont start"? Does the starter crank the engine, or does it crank OK but will not fire up?:confused:

Intermittent problems are always a pain and very difficult to locate. :(

Have you checked for stored codes? If not, this would be a logical next step. Refer the how too stuff.;)

Svx1974 06-28-2010 05:29 PM

Nothing, dead.no starter no clicking just lights across the board...batterys good..no check engine light....

Trevor 06-28-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svx1974 (Post 651230)
Nothing, dead.no starter no clicking just lights across the board...batterys good..no check engine light....

:confused: Which/what lights across which/what board. Which/what circuits in the car are dead/alive.;)

Svx1974 06-28-2010 07:45 PM

well all the lights across the bottom.engine,brake,all of them...the radio,air,clock all of that is fine,,,but it happend earlier and it would start bak be4,and now it wont....its not the battery checked it,,,gonna try crossing starter over,,,Maybe the keyswitch?or the switch on the tranny that keeps it from starting except in park or neutral?i'm kinda vexed!!this is my first subaru,i'm good with american...but a svx setup is different to say the least...any input would be glorious....

SoCal LS-L 06-28-2010 07:48 PM

If you didnt have the gauge symptom, id say it was your neutral safety switch. Given you are having an accompanying electrical problem, you should first clean both of your battery terminals and posts. I have also seen something like this with a bad ignition switch.

Svx1974 07-16-2010 05:51 PM

Found the problem....it was the ground going to the firewall was a little rusty...Thanks to all for the input!!!!