The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   SVX Parts Wanted (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   WTB-Speed Sensor (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53490)

bwb3 03-18-2010 10:55 AM

WTB-Speed Sensor

Does anyone have a Speed Sensor for sale? The local police have now twice confirmed that the speedometer is reading up to 20 MPH less than actual. :( No codes being thrown.

Gene

svxfiles 03-18-2010 06:42 PM

Re: WTB-Speed Sensor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 638700)
Does anyone have a Speed Sensor for sale? The local police have now twice confirmed that the speedometer is reading up to 20 MPH less than actual. :( No codes being thrown.

Gene

It is more likely that your speedometer head is at fault, IMHO.

NiftySVX 03-18-2010 07:44 PM

Yeah that wouldn't be an electronic speed sensor problem I wouldn't think. In 10+ years I have never seen one read consistently lower. it is either intermittent or not at all. Make sure your diff hasn't been messed with as this is where the drive gear is and that it is a correct sensor for SVX. Also, confirm correct overall tire diameter. Stock 225/50/16 are right around 25" if memory serves.

svxfiles 03-18-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 638784)
Yeah that wouldn't be an electronic speed sensor problem I wouldn't think. In 10+ years I have never seen one read consistently lower. it is either intermittent or not at all. Make sure your diff hasn't been messed with as this is where the drive gear is and that it is a correct sensor for SVX. Also, confirm correct overall tire diameter. Stock 225/50/16 are right around 25" if memory serves.

Sure, just round up, why doncha......:rolleyes:
24.86":rolleyes:

Have I used enough rolleyes?:rolleyes:

NiftySVX 03-18-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxfiles (Post 638791)
Sure, just round up, why doncha......:rolleyes:
24.86":rolleyes:

Only reason I know that is because I use our roadforce balancer at work and it tells you. When my Turanza LS-Vs ( best tire ever) were new, they were 25.xx i think. Of course it depends on the tire and the wear, but I can promise that no tire will ever be 24.86, it will wear down to 24.87 then straight to 24.85. One of those rare, uncommon facts about the SVX.

See what too many :rolleyes: Gets you? And put your service manual down, you'll wrinkle the pages :lol:

redlightningsvx 03-18-2010 10:31 PM

Have you tried pulling the needle off, going about 60mph or less at a steady pace confirmed by GPS, and placing the needle back on? Thats how I did mine.

bwb3 03-19-2010 07:18 AM

I was hoping it was the speed sensor but did suspect the speedometer. I have 4 good matching tires on stock rims since before the problem started. Also, the speedometer appears to fluctuate on speed readings, some days slower or faster going down my street at the saame pace. I guess swapping out the guage cluster is the next step?
Gene

pearlm30 03-19-2010 09:30 AM

I have both the speedo and speed sensor if you are still interested.

svxfiles 03-19-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwb3 (Post 638842)
I was hoping it was the speed sensor but did suspect the speedometer. I have 4 good matching tires on stock rims since before the problem started. Also, the speedometer appears to fluctuate on speed readings, some days slower or faster going down my street at the saame pace. I guess swapping out the guage cluster is the next step?
Gene

It sounds like it.
How many miles on your SVX odometer?

bwb3 03-19-2010 12:59 PM

I have a spare guage cluster (been colllecting stuff on the forum:)). I'm at 93,000 + now and in another 1,000 or so miles will match up with the spare's reading. Just didn't look forward to taking the cluster out with all those fragile looking circuits on back and brittle plastic tabs.
Gene