The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Neon SRT-4 = fast in a straight line (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13320)

mbtoloczko 09-21-2003 12:11 PM

Neon SRT-4 = fast in a straight line

I can't attest to its corning capability, but 240 HP in a car that weighs something like 2500 lbs definitely makes for a fast car in a straight line. I went head to head with one, and he had me easily all the way up to at least 120. After that, I think he quit.

alacrity024 09-21-2003 01:01 PM

the cool thing about the SVX is that while it might not be a stoplight racer or a razor-sharp canyon carver, just about nothing can match its top speed.. if you've got the balls (read: desire to die) to take it past 120, not many people will be able to touch you

-adam

Andy 09-21-2003 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024
the cool thing about the SVX is that while it might not be a stoplight racer or a razor-sharp canyon carver, just about nothing can match its top speed.. if you've got the balls (read: desire to die) to take it past 120, not many people will be able to touch you

-adam

Too true, I can vouch for it outdragging an M3 at 135

Landshark 09-21-2003 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by alacrity024

-adam

my 'ol 928 made the SVX feel like a minivan over 100mph. ;) you could be cruising at 90mph and floor it, the rear end would squat down and just launch you forward, never seeming to run out of power. it was one of the coolest things i've ever experienced in a car.

Chicane 09-21-2003 05:11 PM

Sorta. Compared to MOST cars, the SVX will kill things at high speeds.....but don't race a ZR1, a camaro z28, porsche, etc. Hell, I know of a pretty stock mustang that can hit 140.

- Rob

Myxalplyx 09-21-2003 06:13 PM

Question!

Even though the SVX has around 85hp more than my XT6, how would they compare on the top end? Why I ask? I'm curious as to how the XT6's weight and coefficient of drag compares to the SVXs raw power on the top end.

Can the XT6 hang with the SVX on the top end? I'm thinking no but it can't hurt to ask. The SVXs crazy gear ratio helps a lot. :D

Thanks!

Subafreak 09-21-2003 07:00 PM

I don't know about the XT6 but my old GL-10 Turbo sedan topped out at 130mph and that was pretty much at like 6,000rpms if I remember right. I'm sure an XT6 would have a much better shot at topping that but it all comes down to the gear ratios sometimes.

ChrisR 09-21-2003 08:06 PM

The SVX is very potent on the high end - but there are cars out there that you don't want to mess with at high speeds, One is in my sig;) ;) (Well, 2 if you count the bike)

Myxalplyx 09-22-2003 02:18 AM

Re: Question!

Quote:

Originally posted by Myxalplyx
Why I ask? I'm curious as to how the XT6's weight and coefficient of drag compares to the SVXs raw power on the top end.
After searching around, I read that the SVXs coefficient of drag is .29, which is the same as the SVX. I think I answered my own question as to whether the XT6 would get stomped. Oh well! :D

And since it's so low, no wonder a lot of other cars get toasted.

GreenMarine 09-22-2003 07:41 AM

First off let me say that this was very stupid of me to do and would like to think that I will never do it again Ok, I know I'm probably gonna catch a bunch of **** for this... I was driving to Subaru of Gwinett this past friday with my friend and his modded WRX... we were running pretty late so we were pushing it to make it there before everyone at the meet left... A very nice strech on I-16 that was wooded on both sides came up... So did a SRT-4 Neon.... He blew by my friend and his Modded WRX Wagon, as soon as he did I could see Aaron down shift and nail it to catch back up with the Dodge... I did the same and pulled in behind him as he passed me too.... passing 100mph....120mph....130mph.... :eek: 140mph and still pulling hard!!!! about this time the neon kinda "hits a brick wall"... I guess it was his speed limiter or something... :rolleyes: It drops off and can't go any faster... But me and Aaron keep going.... 150mph!!!! I stay there for about 10 seconds then decide that I am doing something that could really end with death if anything goes wrong... That was a new record for me... The fastest car that I had been in before that was a 1999 Mustang cobra (147mph) and it hit it's speed limiter!!! I think that with the 5 speed and no TCU to tell the enging how fast it is going there is no speed limiter... at 150mph it was still pulling hard and probably would have done to the bottom of the speedo if I has kept pushing it!!! I can only imagine the auto with no speed limiter!!!! You would probably be able to do much more speed than the 5 speed... But I can say that the SVX is rock steady at thet speed!!! Subaru designed an awesome high speed cruiser...

Green1995SVX 09-22-2003 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Landshark

my 'ol 928 made the SVX feel like a minivan over 100mph. ;) you could be cruising at 90mph and floor it, the rear end would squat down and just launch you forward, never seeming to run out of power. it was one of the coolest things i've ever experienced in a car.

I wish I had a dime for every time you compared that damn 928 to your svx. If it was such a great car you shouldnt have sold it.

Mike.

GreenMarine 09-22-2003 11:36 AM

928's were only auto's wern't they????

CigarJohnny 09-22-2003 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisR
The SVX is very potent on the high end - but there are cars out there that you don't want to mess with at high speeds, One is in my sig;) ;) (Well, 2 if you count the bike)
Those 1978 Ford LTD II's were real sleepers! :cool:

:D

ChrisR 09-22-2003 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CigarJohnny
Those 1978 Ford LTD II's were real sleepers! :cool:

:D

Hahaha, That's Right! All of about 120 HP, over 4k LBS, and about 6-8 MPG! Take that SVX.:D

Andy 09-22-2003 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
First off let me say that this was very stupid of me to do and would like to think that I will never do it again Ok, I know I'm probably gonna catch a bunch of **** for this... I was driving to Subaru of Gwinett this past friday with my friend and his modded WRX... we were running pretty late so we were pushing it to make it there before everyone at the meet left... A very nice strech on I-16 that was wooded on both sides came up... So did a SRT-4 Neon.... He blew by my friend and his Modded WRX Wagon, as soon as he did I could see Aaron down shift and nail it to catch back up with the Dodge... I did the same and pulled in behind him as he passed me too.... passing 100mph....120mph....130mph.... :eek: 140mph and still pulling hard!!!! about this time the neon kinda "hits a brick wall"... I guess it was his speed limiter or something... :rolleyes: It drops off and can't go any faster... But me and Aaron keep going.... 150mph!!!! I stay there for about 10 seconds then decide that I am doing something that could really end with death if anything goes wrong... That was a new record for me... The fastest car that I had been in before that was a 1999 Mustang cobra (147mph) and it hit it's speed limiter!!! I think that with the 5 speed and no TCU to tell the enging how fast it is going there is no speed limiter... at 150mph it was still pulling hard and probably would have done to the bottom of the speedo if I has kept pushing it!!! I can only imagine the auto with no speed limiter!!!! You would probably be able to do much more speed than the 5 speed... But I can say that the SVX is rock steady at thet speed!!! Subaru designed an awesome high speed cruiser...
Anyone would think that this was a blatant advert from someone hoping to sell his car