The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Body Modifications (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Apkarians custom LED taillights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59338)

jetboy 03-01-2012 12:23 PM

Apkarians custom LED taillights

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...LED+Taillights

Did anyone buy this from him? What was it like?

icingdeath88 03-01-2012 02:01 PM

Re: Apkarians custom LED taillights

Yes. They are nice, but expensive. There are a lot of worse ways to burn $500, but consider it a treat, not one of the first things on the list. Take care of any and all issues with the car first, and make sure you have a $1000 transmission "rainy-day" fund before you go buying them.

jetboy 03-02-2012 02:52 AM

Them mod covers ALL the lights on the back side, including the top center bar on the "lip" ?

Did anyone by chance have his mail?

How complicated and time consuming was the installation?

Subix 03-02-2012 03:22 AM

I'm curious about the lip bar myself but I don't think that was covered (please correct me, I want to be wrong!) and if it isn't, can it be done? As far as the side markers, wasn't there just a much brighter bulb that could be used for these to make them stand out more? I don't think I like the mini tri-led thing going on there... then again, I didn't see any pictures of it specifically so maybe I missed it.

Back when I first seen the thread I wasn't too interested in the idea but with the progress of having my Laguna completely refreshed come summer, this whole revival on the thread has me seriously considering the idea.... even if the price is chunky.

icingdeath88 03-02-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 698424)
Them mod covers ALL the lights on the back side, including the top center bar on the "lip" ?

Did anyone by chance have his mail?

How complicated and time consuming was the installation?

The upper, center brake light that's not part of the tail bar is not part of this. That one is already LED, just not quite as bright. Not worth messing with, IMO.

Click the link in my sig and send him a PM, if that doesn't work then I can look through my email for his email address. But try a PM first.

They were not very time consuming, but you have to run a wire from the trunklid tail bar to the other two lights. Really, you just have to get some wire and be able to connect two wires together. When you open the trunk, on the right side by the hinge there is a bendy rubber tube that has a wire in it for the stock tail lights. I ran my wires through my own tube next to it and zip tied them down out of the way of the hinges so they don't get pinched. Very easy. I had to extend the wire just a tad to hide it how I wanted it.

92 SVX 03-03-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 698446)
The upper, center brake light that's not part of the tail bar is not part of this. That one is already LED, just not quite as bright. Not worth messing with, IMO.

Click the link in my sig and send him a PM, if that doesn't work then I can look through my email for his email address. But try a PM first.

They were not very time consuming, but you have to run a wire from the trunklid tail bar to the other two lights. Really, you just have to get some wire and be able to connect two wires together. When you open the trunk, on the right side by the hinge there is a bendy rubber tube that has a wire in it for the stock tail lights. I ran my wires through my own tube next to it and zip tied them down out of the way of the hinges so they don't get pinched. Very easy. I had to extend the wire just a tad to hide it how I wanted it.

He changed that you no longer have to run any wire, you only plug in the wires like the stock light setup.

The side marker lights were not changed in the original setup, I got mine with a straight led strip light, but I think he was talking about making some changes like we had suggested in that thread.

here are mine.

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/...%20%288%29.JPG

LastSVXintheChi 03-03-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92 SVX (Post 698568)
He changed that you no longer have to run any wire, you only plug in the wires like the stock light setup.

The side marker lights were not changed in the original setup, I got mine with a straight led strip light, but I think he was talking about making some changes like we had suggested in that thread.

here are mine.

http://localserver.no-ip.biz/Public/...%20%288%29.JPG

that looks bad ass!! that single LED strip is awesome....like a UFO :rolleyes:

NikFu S. 03-03-2012 02:22 PM

I would really like to see him get more creative with the patterns.

Subix 03-03-2012 03:21 PM

@92SVX that pic is without the diffusers installed, correct?

92 SVX 03-03-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subix (Post 698592)
@92SVX that pic is without the diffusers installed, correct?

That is correct, No diffusers on my car, I think there are a few pics around with diffusers in for those that want to see the difference.

apkarian100 03-04-2012 04:42 PM

What designs would you like me to try?
Quote:

Originally Posted by NikFu S. (Post 698585)
I would really like to see him get more creative with the patterns.

Mr. Nosidda 03-04-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apkarian100 (Post 698690)

"SVX" surrounded by stars.....that would be interesting

Subix 03-04-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92 SVX (Post 698611)
That is correct, No diffusers on my car, I think there are a few pics around with diffusers in for those that want to see the difference.

Thanks. I actually prefer the diffuser in I was just making sure so if I ever do get this done I'll keep them in. Probably will not touch the side lamps either aside from upgrading the bulb for it to be much brighter. Maybe it would look different with a diffuser in, permitting you don't have one in that location either. I don't think a single line of LED is going to emit enough light there for me to be content however.

NikFu S. 03-04-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apkarian100 (Post 698690)

Nothing terribly complicated, just different geometric shapes, like ovals or triangles or something

Chuckls 03-04-2012 06:55 PM

Arrows for the turn signals.