The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Losing my bearing in Pittsburgh Pa (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40776)

budbaer 09-15-2007 09:31 PM

Losing my bearing in Pittsburgh Pa

Anyone in the Pittsburgh area know a good place to get a bearing changed?
I've been wondering if I was hearing a noise from my rear passenger bearing or if the tires where just starting to wear and get noisy. Today it started making the tell-tale roaring noise and I can feel a little drag from that wheel. I don't know of any good SVX, or even Subaru mechanics in the area, so any help would be most appreciated.

SVXRide 09-15-2007 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budbaer (Post 493597)
Anyone in the Pittsburgh area know a good place to get a bearing changed?
I've been wondering if I was hearing a noise from my rear passenger bearing or if the tires where just starting to wear and get noisy. Today it started making the tell-tale roaring noise and I can feel a little drag from that wheel. I don't know of any good SVX, or even Subaru mechanics in the area, so any help would be most appreciated.

I'd suggest getting to either SVXFiles (Tom K) in Cumberland, MD (okay, officially Wiley Ford, WVa) or TOMSSVX (Tom J) in Philly. Both know their way around an SVX like no other and will fix you right up at a honest price.:cool:
-Bill

budbaer 09-15-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVXRide (Post 493602)
I'd suggest getting to either SVXFiles (Tom K) in Cumberland, MD (okay, officially Wiley Ford, WVa) or TOMSSVX (Tom J) in Philly. Both know their way around an SVX like no other and will fix you right up at a honest price.:cool:
-Bill

I've already thought of both of them, I was hoping someone might have a suggestion of someone closer. TOMSSVX is about 5 hours away and SVXFiles is about 2 hours away.

SilverSpear 09-16-2007 02:25 AM

then svxfiles is your best bet... 2 hours is nothing, drive slowly...

Hocrest 09-17-2007 09:10 AM

Definitely talk to OT, his phone number is on his website www.svxfiles.com

He knows that area well and has a great mind for coming up a solution to the distance issue.

budbaer 09-17-2007 11:16 AM

I guess I'm going to call Tom (SVXFiles). He is my first choice anyway, but I was hoping to find someone in this imediate area, it scares me to drive that far with a bad wheel bearing. The price that he quoted me is lower than what I had expected and I know the job will be done right. I guess it's time for a road trip.:cool:

Tim 09-17-2007 12:25 PM

I've had my bearings go bad twice... and have driven on them for a long time before replacement. I wouldn't be too worried.

NiftySVX 09-17-2007 01:16 PM

Yea it will be fine, I am surprised you feel dragging. I've one of mine has been making noise for about 15k now.

budbaer 09-17-2007 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 493849)
Yea it will be fine, I am surprised you feel dragging. I've one of mine has been making noise for about 15k now.

My girl says that I'm on drugs, because she doesn't feel any difference, so maybe it's psychosomatic.:tard:

Crazy_pilot 09-17-2007 03:12 PM

I've put about 1200 miles on bad bearings. A 2 hour trip shouldn't do any harm.

svxfiles 09-17-2007 10:19 PM

When Di bought Her Silver in the bottom of Virginia, we found it had the WORST LR wheel bearing that I had ever seen. Howled at 25mph!:mad:
We had to drive it home, a five hour drive, or run home, bring back tools, jacks, and parts, and lose 10 hours travel time PLUS repair time, or take the chance and drive it carefully home.
White nuckle I started to drive it home, looked at the clock 60 times inthe first hour!:rolleyes:

And then some young chick in a new Kia Rio passed me.

It then occurred to me that I was safer in a 13 year old (at the time) SVX with a wheel about to fall off, then she was in her little econobox!:D:cool:

The people that Di bought the car from SAID thay thought sound was normal:eek: and did not think it was a problem!

The bearing fell into pieces onto the floor when I removed it the next day at the shop.

About the only thing that would let the wheel come off the car would be
a broken wheel,
missing wheel nuts,
missing axle nut, (but the rotor would stop that untill it broke or wore out.)
broken axle at the bearing.(but the rotor would stop that untill it broke or wore out.)

Rocket/morter attacks can also do this, but I digress.:o
Feel free to call,
Tom

budbaer 09-18-2007 06:53 AM

OK, OK, Ok..... You guys have convinced me that I am a paranoid wuss. I guess I like the car so much that I fear abusing it, I don't want it to end up like the Camaro I bought when I was 19. Tom, I'll be calling you once I figure out my schedule for next couple of weeks. It looks like I am Cumberland bound.