The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   vibration in rear of car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36288)

nick_kas 11-27-2006 08:24 PM

vibration in rear of car

I was wondering if anybody had an idea about what the problem with my car is? I have a 92 Svx and the rear of the car is vibrating pretty bad. It happens when accelerating and decelerating. It happens from 0 to 10 miles per hour both ways. any help would be awesome. Thanks

Hohopirates 11-27-2006 08:33 PM

Tires?

If nothing else appears wrong, I would check out the tires first. My truck was making an odd noise and a vibration was present as well, it ended up being a defective tire. If not, it could possibly be rear diff problems. Steve

Earthworm 12-04-2006 01:38 PM

I doubt it's tires unless it happens at higher speeds. Any other info you can provide for us?

dannmarr 12-04-2006 03:47 PM

Rotate your tires to see if the vibration moves location.

Trevor 12-04-2006 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_kas
I was wondering if anybody had an idea about what the problem with my car is? I have a 92 Svx and the rear of the car is vibrating pretty bad. It happens when accelerating and decelerating. It happens from 0 to 10 miles per hour both ways. any help would be awesome. Thanks

The symptoms as reported would indicate faulty rear transmission mounts. Edit P.S. i.e. diff. assembly. If so, do not panic as not too expensive a fix.

sicksubie 12-04-2006 06:06 PM

I have the same issue in my '92 as well. Symptons are identical.

nysvx10 12-04-2006 06:35 PM

My guess would be bad joint on the driveshaft, I had that on my car. Is it coming from around the center console?

sicksubie 12-05-2006 05:23 AM

Mine is definitely coming from the back of the car. I am 100% positive

Trevor 12-05-2006 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor
The symptoms as reported would indicate faulty rear transmission mounts. Edit P.S. i.e. diff. assembly. If so, do not panic as not too expensive a fix.

:confused: :)

chitownsvx 12-31-2006 09:03 PM

rear differential

My car has that and I had the car looked at and the mechanic said it's the rear differential.

Beav 01-02-2007 03:47 PM

Try inserting the FWD fuse and driving it a bit. If the problem goes away you have an issue to the rear, if the vibration remains look forward. Inner cv joints can cause vibration under accel/decel conditions without noticable hi-speed vibration. Driveshaft u-joints can also create this type of vibration under load, rarely during decel and are almost always accompanied by squeaky noise during accel. Or at least a good 'whang' when placed in gear from park/neutral or a change of direction.

Differentials rarely cause vibration at low speed, unless they have been making hi-speed vibrations/noise for a long time. Typically, differential noises come from worn/damaged bearings. Mesh noises occur either a) immediately following a rebuild or b) after bearing damage has occured and allowed the mesh to change.

SVXRide 01-02-2007 05:26 PM

A bad tire (slipped belt) will often show itself as almost a boat-likes swaying of the car at low speed.
-Bill