The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   USDM tail vs NORDM tail (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59790)

jetboy 05-06-2012 03:47 PM

USDM tail vs NORDM tail

1 Attachment(s)
Cheerleaders vs Blondes! Ehh.. I mean taillights.

On the rear side I have:

* Side panel with no light
* Turning light / marker
* Car-is-on light (less lights) which doubles as brake light (more light)

Center bar:

* Backing light
* Fog light
* Subaru SVX decal
* Fog light
* Backing light

And then just mirror the first rear side.

I think this is different from USDM cars?

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...4&d=1336340844

Green1995SVX 05-06-2012 04:19 PM

Re: USDM tail vs NORDM tail

jetboy 05-06-2012 04:24 PM

Yes I just checked UK, GER and ITA, EUDM and NORDM is the same, USDM and JDM seem to be the same.

Are the lights interchangable? Can I order a USDM set and install it it my car? Do you US guys have fog lights?

dbarnblatt 05-06-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetboy (Post 703914)
Yes I just checked UK, GER and ITA, EUDM and NORDM is the same, USDM and JDM seem to be the same.

Are the lights interchangable? Can I order a USDM set and install it it my car? Do you US guys have fog lights?

No fogs in the JDM/USDM center tail light cluster. The US and Japanese tails are the same except for the center SVX logo reading "Alcyone SVX" on the JDM tail and "Subaru SVX" on the USDM tail.

The EUDM and the US/JDM tails are completely interchangeable and will bolt right up... The wiring for the brake lights and fog lights need to be taken care ofdepending on what you are going to use.

Between the 2 light bars... I'd stick with the EUDM version. It has the rear fogs as well as a black "SVX" logo vs. the US light red logo. The US "SVX" logo stands out too much.

svxcess 05-06-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarnblatt (Post 703931)
No fogs in the JDM/USDM center tail light cluster. The US and Japanese tails are the same except for the center SVX logo reading "Alcyone SVX" on the JDM tail and "Subaru SVX" on the USDM tail.

The EUDM and the US/JDM tails are completely interchangeable and will bolt right up... The wiring for the brake lights and fog lights need to be taken care ofdepending on what you are going to use.

Between the 2 light bars... I'd stick with the EUDM version. It has the rear fogs as well as a black "SVX" logo vs. the US light red logo. The US "SVX" logo stands out too much.

I never understood why you would offer rear fog lights in a certain market and not offer front fog lights as well.

From a safety standpoint I much prefer the USDM or the JDM units. This gives me 4 tail/ brake lights as opposed to only 2 on the EUDM. I feel much better travelling to know if I ever had a rear bulb burn out, I had 3 left and not just 1.

dbarnblatt 05-06-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess (Post 703936)
I never understood why you would offer rear fog lights in a certain market and not offer front fog lights as well.

From a safety standpoint I much prefer the USDM or the JDM units. This gives me 4 tail/ brake lights as opposed to only 2 on the EUDM. I feel much better travelling to know if I ever had a rear bulb burn out, I had 3 left and not just 1.

The reason is that a rear fog light is mandatory in many EU countries (Germany's TUV, for example). Front fogs are not.

The reason for the front fog delete is back in the 1990's Germany's TUV forbid ancillary fog lights to be mounted above the bumper.

The SVX design put itself is a funny situation. They designed the front clusters with fogs... so they had to delete them, to comply. And they had to design a rear cluster with rear fog lights... They left it up to the buyers to install front fogs.

SURTEESS 05-06-2012 10:29 PM

There is a 3rd version - check with one of my earlier postings, here in NZ we get the EU version - but in place of fog lights there are simple reflectors.

I swapped mine out for USA version for the rear center area. (simple PnP)

I also got hold of USA rear side markers - again here in NZ we only get reflectors - so bought from one of the members here the USA type + bulb holders (simple case of just wiring them in).

I also got the USA versions of the front side markers, with reflectors (instead of clear covers). Simple case of swapping over the internal indicator bulb holders + buying some clear bulbs.

AlcyoneSVX 05-07-2012 01:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I recently bought a UK rear center light. It's wired so that the fog lights work as stop lights.
I also have a JDM Alcyone rear center light. But what's different about mine from others that I've seen here on the forum is that the lettering is white instead of black.
Personally, I'm leaning towards the JDM one. :)

jetboy 05-07-2012 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SURTEESS (Post 703947)
There is a 3rd version - check with one of my earlier postings, here in NZ we get the EU version - but in place of fog lights there are simple reflectors.

I swapped mine out for USA version for the rear center area. (simple PnP)

I also got hold of USA rear side markers - again here in NZ we only get reflectors - so bought from one of the members here the USA type + bulb holders (simple case of just wiring them in).

I also got the USA versions of the front side markers, with reflectors (instead of clear covers). Simple case of swapping over the internal indicator bulb holders + buying some clear bulbs.

Sorry for the confusion, but rear side markers = the orange light you use when you want to indicate a turn, right? Not the red stripes on the sides?

Chris_ 05-07-2012 04:51 PM

Is there somewhere how-to-document or instructions to what you need to do to change or wire eudm rear side panel lights to usdm sides with lights. Or is it "just add the bulbs"?

Green1995SVX 05-07-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlcyoneSVX (Post 703953)
I recently bought a UK rear center light. It's wired so that the fog lights work as stop lights.
I also have a JDM Alcyone rear center light. But what's different about mine from others that I've seen here on the forum is that the lettering is white instead of black.
Personally, I'm leaning towards the JDM one. :)

I, too have the JDM panel with white lettering. The white lettering units started around 1995 or so.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/DSC04138.jpg

jetboy 05-07-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_ (Post 703997)
Is there somewhere how-to-document or instructions to what you need to do to change or wire eudm rear side panel lights to usdm sides with lights. Or is it "just add the bulbs"?

Yes, I wonder about this too.

AlcyoneSVX 05-08-2012 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 703999)
I, too have the JDM panel with white lettering. The white lettering units started around 1995 or so.

http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...s/DSC04138.jpg

Interesting. It wasn't until I bought my UK rear light (with black letters), that I noticed the difference.
Your SVX is really nice!
I bought an RX-8 back in '04 and ended up putting the wheels on my SVX after buying 19's for the RX-8, but the stock tire was too tall and I had to take them off. Since the SVX was lowered, there was too much rubbing inside the wheel well. But after seeing them on your car (they look great, btw), maybe I'll buy the proper size tire and try them again! :D