The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SSM for OBD1 and OBD2 SVXs (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60439)

b3lha 09-10-2012 01:50 AM

Re: SSM for OBD1 and OBD2 SVXs

Awesome work Tony. Well done.

I wish you had been here back in 2008 when Nomake Wan and I were experimenting with the OBD1 cars.

Would you mind if I posted your definition files on my website?

Please email them to SVXskuse at gmail because my alcyone.org.uk address is always full.

Did you manage to get a full ROM dump of either unit?

Phil.

processengr 09-14-2012 11:24 AM

Got my double headed cable set from New Zealand today!
Which software should i buy/download?

Huskymaniac 09-14-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 711674)
Got my double headed cable set from New Zealand today!
Which software should i buy/download?

Depends on what you want to do. I have made more progress on the definitions files. I now have FreeSSM working for both the ECU and TCU. However, it is a development version and not the released version. I may need some help making a release of what I have. The current release will NOT work with SSM1 cars. Also, I have discovered that FreeSSM does NOT datalog. You can read the current data but it won't log it.

Evoscan, with my updated definition file, will communicate with OBD1 and OBD2 SVXs. It has a nice interface and will log data for you. HOWEVER, it only does ECUs, not TCUs.

JECScan, with my updated definition file, will communicate with OBD1 and OBD2 SVXs. It will communicate with both the TCU and ECU. It will log data. Sounds great, right? Well, the communication is choppy/buggy and some data points are dropped/bogus. So I needed to filter those out in excel after logging them. I don't know if it is due to a limitation of the program or the crappy little laptop I was using. Maybe a faster PC won't drop data. Second, it will only capture a certain number of parameters. Not a problem for the TCU which has a limited set but there are more than 16 ECU parameters one can grab. I suppose the definition file can be edited to select the 16 you care about. Finally, the program is not "registered" or whatever it is called so that anti-virus programs don't flag it as a virus. I had to put it on a crappy laptop because that was the PC I had where I could easily control the anti-virus program to let me install it.

Once you decide where to start, PM me with your email and I will send you the definition file(s). I will eventually take Phil up on his offer to host the files on his site. I don't feel like they are 100% fully baked yet. Maybe I will play with them more this weekend.

bishop 09-15-2012 12:09 AM

im looking forwards to being able to add a diagnostic/more advanced trip computer, especialy something with a "miles remaining in tank" feature.

Huskymaniac 09-17-2012 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See the attachment for a log of my transmission data from my drive to work. This was at ambient temperature of 78F. The step change in ATF temp at the end is due to a steep climb as our facility is at the top of a hill. This is the kind of data we can get with SSM. It was logged using JECScan. There is an even larger set of data we can get from the ECU.

It looks to me like I probably don't need a tranny cooler. If I ever plan to climb a mountain, I will be sure to hook up the PC and get a log of it.

processengr 09-21-2012 08:56 AM

When I plug in cable it is id as "STiScan Subaru SSM1" is the driver in JECSCAN?

processengr 09-21-2012 09:06 AM

I just noticed drivers are available for Windows CE-I wonder if I could run on the AVIC F700BT in our 92 Silver...

Huskymaniac 09-21-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 712075)
When I plug in cable it is id as "STiScan Subaru SSM1" is the driver in JECSCAN?

Whatever driver was loaded with Evoscan worked with JECScan for me.

Huskymaniac 09-21-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 712077)
I just noticed drivers are available for Windows CE-I wonder if I could run on the AVIC F700BT in our 92 Silver...

I don't know of the programs themselves will run on that OS.

processengr 09-21-2012 09:15 AM

Hi Tony,
I didnt purchase the EVoScan software-found a download site (FTDICHIP.COM) that has drivers, not sure which one...

Huskymaniac 09-21-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by processengr (Post 712081)
Hi Tony,
I didnt purchase the EVoScan software-found a download site (FTDICHIP.COM) that has drivers, not sure which one...

FTDI drivers are definitely the right drivers. It sounded like your computer recognized the cable so you appear to already have the correct drivers.

processengr 09-21-2012 09:18 AM

Great-Im going tp plug into the 97 Outback and see what happens-

ShaneHobson 10-01-2012 02:24 AM

I just ordered the Evoscan SSM 1 cable from Evoscan website. It turns out that the guy who makes these lives about 100km from me. I might pop over and visit some time.
I don't own a Windows laptop or tablet, (I use a Mac) so I'll be shopping for one of those shortly.
Does anyone who is using Evoscan have any recommendations with regard to a suitable laptop or tablet ?
Which version of Windows works ?
thanks, Shane

ShaneHobson 10-07-2012 01:33 AM

Two headed cable has arrived.
Bought the Ecoscan software as well.
Installed Bootcamp & Windows onto my MacBook Air.

Climbed into my car upside down with a torch and I'm stuffed if I can find the connector to plug into.

Does anyone have any tips for finding the socket to plug into ?
Is it hanging loose or does it need to be unplugged from something ?
What colour is it ?
Is it in the drivers footwell (RHD) or somewhere else ?

Thank you, Shane

injuhneer 10-23-2012 12:43 PM

Is there a Bluetooth version of the interface? I use TorquePro on an Android device via Bluetooth for other vehicles. It may be worthwhile to ask the developer to add SSMx to the app or to write a plugin for it to support our cars.

-Mike O