The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What Air Filter do you use? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50712)

Devilman 06-22-2009 03:11 PM

What Air Filter do you use?

I have had the most success with Purolators platinum series (has a metal frame around the outer filter area as opposed to the normal exposed sort. I had recently put in one of the new FRAM washable filters, and my car began stalling and generally not working properly. So i am either going back to the purolator or possibly purchasing one of the green filters from svxturbo. I'm sure someone here has tried one of the green filters, any thoughts?

Tim 06-22-2009 03:24 PM

Re: What Air Filter do you use?

I've been using the purolators for years without problems. If you're not doing extensive modding it may not pay to upgrade.

redlightningsvx 06-22-2009 03:30 PM

I have a green cylinder filter on mine with no troubles.

NiftySVX 06-22-2009 07:20 PM

The stock air filter is capable of flowing more air than the throttle bodies. Any modification where the air box is removed will result in a decrease in horsepower due to a loss in volumetric efficiency. Also, air filters which contain oils are dangerous and cause damage to mass air flow meters. I throw K&N air filters in the trash about once a month and put a stock filter back in for a customer who has destroyed their MAF from the inferior filtration.

Devilman 06-22-2009 09:40 PM

yeah i wasn't going to go the K&N route...but the green filter from the AZ crew seems popular. Anyhoo, i am going back with purolator premium. Learned my lesson lol.

_matt

Black88GTA 06-23-2009 01:33 AM

Originally had some crap "Spectre" brand cone filter under the hood. God rid of it, and reinstalled stock airbox with Fram Tough Guard filter. There was a noticeable power increase getting rid of my aftermarket hot air intake, too. :rolleyes:

Green1995SVX 06-23-2009 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiftySVX (Post 606241)
The stock air filter is capable of flowing more air than the throttle bodies. Any modification where the air box is removed will result in a decrease in horsepower due to a loss in volumetric efficiency. Also, air filters which contain oils are dangerous and cause damage to mass air flow meters. I throw K&N air filters in the trash about once a month and put a stock filter back in for a customer who has destroyed their MAF from the inferior filtration.

Correct.

I use OEM Subaru, by the way.

dcarrb 06-23-2009 05:51 AM

Whatever Brand-X OEM equivalent is on sale.

dcb

siceclipse 06-23-2009 08:27 AM

im using the OEM STi filter my friend gave me off his 2007 Sti limited.

SoCal LS-L 06-23-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilman (Post 606208)
I have had the most success with Purolators platinum series (has a metal frame around the outer filter area as opposed to the normal exposed sort. I had recently put in one of the new FRAM washable filters, and my car began stalling and generally not working properly. So i am either going back to the purolator or possibly purchasing one of the green filters from svxturbo. I'm sure someone here has tried one of the green filters, any thoughts?

Im not familiar with the FRAM washables....but you have to oil those right?? If you use too much oil, it can mist off the the filter and onto the MAF vane... causing your very same symptoms. I would clean your MAF with some MAF cleaner or Brakekleen and use less oil before blowing more cash on another filter.

Devilman 06-27-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 606423)
Im not familiar with the FRAM washables....but you have to oil those right?? If you use too much oil, it can mist off the the filter and onto the MAF vane... causing your very same symptoms. I would clean your MAF with some MAF cleaner or Brakekleen and use less oil before blowing more cash on another filter.

No it doesnt indicate that it requires oil, like the K&N ones etc. But just putting it in there, it made things go the way of whack. I had the somewhat dirty old one in there for the pinch,ran fine for the moment. Having to content with the humidity jacket that is florida doesnt help either. Purolator here i come.

Hondasucks 06-27-2009 12:32 PM

I read on here once about the Perrin filters with the oiled foam layer, that they are supposed to be pretty good. I'm currently just running an OEM Subaru filter in mine. I don't run the cheap aftermarket filters, I've learned I can get 20-30,000 miles out of an OEM filter, and the cheap aftermarket ones are plugged up after like 12k.

TomsSVX 06-27-2009 12:48 PM

I had used the Perrin filters and gave them a good review in the past. They need more maintenance than any other filter I have used in the past though. Constant getting blocked up with dirt. I now use HKS Mega Flow 200mm elements on my performance engines and a basic Purolator paper filter on stock engines

Tom

gbianchi 06-27-2009 04:36 PM

Just a quik comment on those K&N filters, mine had one in there when I bought it and a CEL, read codes, MAF,and knock sensor. Resoldered maf still had CEL, replaced knock sensor. still had CEL, cleaned maf with brake clean, CEL gone replaced K&N with Napa Gold no more CEL, Yippi. The K&N is a good product but if the oiler doesn't do it correctly it can cause the problem. 2 cents............G

Devilman 09-21-2009 03:42 PM

Just a small tidbit of an update. I had gone back to using purolator paper filter and notice (after the fact and the arrival of some stalling out issues/maf related) that the premium purolator filter in the gold box has oil on it. Upon perusing the store for another brand i revisted the purolator area and noticed that one of the boxes had oil saturation bleeding through the cardboard box, as the plastic bag the ship in was apparently torn. When i installed the purolator gold weeks before that, i didnt even notice this nor is it stated anywhere on the packaging. But it did deposit a film on my MAF that led to stalling/poor performance. Went to NAPA got the gold on sale for $10 and cleaned the MAF with MAF/sensor cleaner. vroom...

Now to adjust my pesky TPS. first time doing that on any car, but from reading here, one of the best car networks btw, I dont think it will be an issue.

-MT