The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Knock Knock, whos in there? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40612)

SVX92-97 09-06-2007 08:25 AM

Knock Knock, whos in there?

Here is a strange occurance. When I get in and close the drivers door, I hear what sounds like a knock or thump coming from the right side dash area. Havent looked into it yet to figure out what it could be. This knock or thump may or may not be linked to a similar sound I hear when driving over bumps. Just installed both front struts with OEM last week, and same sound is still there, before and after the new strut installation. This is very annoying to say the least. My mechanic checked the front suspension completely and found nothing wrong, or so he said, I was with him when he checked. Any ideas what this could be. The knock is very pronounced when closing the drivers door. It appears that something is either loose or broken, and when you close the door opposite the knock it jumps and knock. Cant describe it any other way. Help!:confused::o

RSVX 09-06-2007 08:29 AM

The dash moves, and pops... there was a TSB out there for it, but it required COMPLETE removal of the dash.:eek:

Crazy_pilot 09-06-2007 11:11 AM

Definitely a leprechaun.

huck369 09-06-2007 11:22 AM

It's a flap in the duct work....one of the actuators is probably loose, letting it flop when the door is closed due to the pressure change...

themoneypit 09-06-2007 08:14 PM

dude we def gotta meet up one of these days, ill try and help you locate it. im usually pretty good with that stuff (not always) ive been crazy busy getting ready for our florida trip next week. sorry havent gotten back to ya yet. im leavin wed. so... but dont worry, we'll catch up soon enuf :) yesterday i got my PWR rad in the svx, u gotta see that.. looks awesome

huck369 09-06-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themoneypit (Post 491772)
dude we def gotta meet up one of these days, ill try and help you locate it. im usually pretty good with that stuff (not always) ive been crazy busy getting ready for our florida trip next week. sorry havent gotten back to ya yet. im leavin wed. so... but dont worry, we'll catch up soon enuf :) yesterday i got my PWR rad in the svx, u gotta see that.. looks awesome

Scott, are you gonna swing through Somerset on your way down or back?

SVX92-97 09-06-2007 08:31 PM

Do I have to remove the dash to fix the actuator, assuming thats the problem.

huck369 09-07-2007 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVX92-97 (Post 491774)
Do I have to remove the dash to fix the actuator, assuming thats the problem.

I'm not sure, but for sure it would be easier to get to with the dash out...

You "Might" be able to access it if you remove the passenger side airbag....but that's almost as big of a PITA as pulling the whole dash....

themoneypit 09-07-2007 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huck369 (Post 491773)
Scott, are you gonna swing through Somerset on your way down or back?

not this time huck, this is a big family trip with all the nieces and nephews, 2 RVs 14 people total going... gonna be an awesome time. HOWEVER i hope to go again in feb-mar for a month like last year, might be able to stop by then :) seeing as ill have the svx on the trailer behind it :D easier to strap that down than the bmw. subie has 4 hooks, bmw 2...

huck369 09-08-2007 06:45 PM

Well...maybe next time then...

Have fun!!:D