The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Anthrax Cure - OT (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2533)

svxter 01-22-2002 05:24 PM

Anthrax Cure - OT

Here's another way to soak up all those unused CPU cycles. Visit www.intel.com/cure/download.htm and you can find information on downloading a screen saver that tries to fit various small molecules to the anthrax protein, with the notion of being able to disable it. To find these molecules requires sifting through an enormous number of candidates for possible fits. When you run the program, it downloads 100 molecules to fit. When it's done with that, it gets another 100, etc.

The idea is similar to the SETI at home project that Mr. Pockets has mentioned before. By farming little pieces of a very big task out to a couple of million people, it can get done in some kind of reasonable time frame.

I heard about this on today's All Things Considered broadcast (www.npr.org). Anyway, it seems a good thing to me.

mohrds 01-22-2002 05:38 PM

I have that running at one of my clients. I disconnect the server and let the 25 workstations chug away at it all night.

Luckily, It's client initiated so I didn't have to open up any extra ports on the firewall.

Its a wonderful idea. Unfortunatly I missed the SETI post. I'm going to go look for it.

Doug

Beav 01-22-2002 06:49 PM

I tried but...

.. this was the response:

We're sorry, the page you requested can't be found on www.intel.com

Beav

mohrds 01-22-2002 07:00 PM

Delete the comma at the end of svxter's post or click here

www.intel.com/cure/download.htm

Doug

Beav 01-22-2002 07:02 PM

Duh...

..I missed that completely - thanx

Beav

Mr. Pockets 01-23-2002 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
I have that running at one of my clients. I disconnect the server and let the 25 workstations chug away at it all night.

Luckily, It's client initiated so I didn't have to open up any extra ports on the firewall.

Its a wonderful idea. Unfortunatly I missed the SETI post. I'm going to go look for it.

Doug

I think I've mentioned it in posts before, but I also advertise the SET@Home project in my sig. :)

3,161 work units completed, 4.45 years of CPU time donated!

svxter 01-23-2002 11:44 AM

Quote:

Delete the comma at the end of svxter's post or click here

www.intel.com/cure/download.htm

Doug

Doug

Thanks for pointing that out. I've also corrected it in the original post.

Dang literal computers, anyway. :(

svxter 01-23-2002 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

I think I've mentioned it in posts before, but I also advertise the SET@Home project in my sig. :)

3,161 work units completed, 4.45 years of CPU time donated!

I've run SETI@home on both the office and home computers, but had to take it off the home computer - it was burning the frame into the screen. :eek: Don't know if you've noticed that. The UD screen saver puts up a nice 3D molecule, and floats it around the screen. It would be a good mod for the Berkely folks, too.

Mr. Pockets 01-23-2002 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by svxter

I've run SETI@home on both the office and home computers, but had to take it off the home computer - it was burning the frame into the screen. :eek: Don't know if you've noticed that. The UD screen saver puts up a nice 3D molecule, and floats it around the screen. It would be a good mod for the Berkely folks, too.

I set the screen saver to go blank after zero minutes. You get at least a 25% increse in speed if the program doesn't have to show you the graphics.

mohrds 01-23-2002 02:34 PM

My wife posted a link on her club's board to united devices (as an OT) and the moderator deleted it, and Emailed her telling her not to post off topic again!

I'm really glad that Chris and Randy aren't all work and no play...

Sort of defeats the purpose of trying to make friends in your club, huh?

Doug

svxter 01-23-2002 03:21 PM

Quote:

My wife posted a link on her club's board to united devices (as an OT) and the moderator deleted it, and Emailed her telling her not to post off topic again!

Doug

Right on, Doug! Life is about more than just cars, too. I see this as a place for a community to interact, and that means discussions that wander off topic, bad jokes, and all sorts of other OT conversations. As long as the bulk is on topic, and off topic discussions are labeled as such, I don't see a problem.

My $.02; YMMV.

Aredubjay 01-23-2002 03:34 PM

Quote:

Doug

If we were that tight in the ole hiney, we'd all be sitting around here twiddling our thumbs. I mean, we've already talked about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to do with our cars.

Of course, Doug, your post begs the question, "what is the "topic" here, anyway." In my opinion, the "topic" is RELATIONSHIPS. So, how can ANY post really be "OT?"

mohrds 01-23-2002 03:41 PM

The topic is simple:

Weatherstripping, zebra stripes, and the Full Monty at Reading...

Doug

Aredubjay 01-23-2002 04:00 PM

Quote:

The topic is simple:

Weatherstripping, zebra stripes, and the Full Monty at Reading...

Doug

Ah yes. Just when I think the "zebra stripes" are behind me . . . uh, let me rephrase that . . . just when the zebra stripes settle down . . . um . . . never mind.

The "Full Monty?" Does not the very THOUGHT of that not disgust you beyond all possible imagination? Seeing Larry, John Hoffman, Don Addington, Myself and a few other in anything near their "skivvies" would throw the entire city of Morgantown . . . nay, the entire State of PA into a panic reminiscent of the crowds running in the original "Blob" movie. Speaking of blobs . . . no, let's not!

And, let's save the weatherstripping installation siminar for the 10th Anniversary Meet. That way, all us married men will get the "FAT LIP" award. :D

svxter 01-23-2002 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

nay, the entire State of PA into a panic reminiscent of the crowds running in the original "Blob" movie. Speaking of blobs . . . no, let's not!

... :D

I'm really trying to lose weight! REALLY!