The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Just out of curiosity? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17009)

greg 03-07-2004 06:45 PM

Just out of curiosity?

Not that I would do the swap to a manual transmission, but I am just curious why no ones done a swap for an STi 6-speed tranny in there SVX. It seems like that might be something someone would find fun to do... I guess there must be some kind of dissadvantage?

I personally am fond of my automatic, I am not fond of shifting through gears in traffic, I guess I am getting too old for that kind of extra work. BUT, it seems to me also that if a manual from a legacy suits right up a different automatic might work too? Aren't there any other automatics that might work on the SVX that might be more "reliable".

Just thought it might be fun to hear what kind of options there might be out there for us... even an on demand 4X4 tranny from something like a pathfinder seems like it might be mechanically possible (I have no idea about electronically though?)

So what options are there besides the obvious legacy, wrx, imprezza tranny and the SVX 4eat?

~G

immortal_suby 03-07-2004 06:49 PM

Todd (wawazat?) is doing a 6 speed, I think someone else here did one already.

The electronics of another automatic is what stops anyone from trying that - not saying it can't be done though.

We owe alot to Huck - a few years ago they said a manual couldn't be done cost effectively.

Mr. Pockets 03-07-2004 07:24 PM

Alex_umn put a six speed in his SVX. Look in his locker for photos.

I thought a six-speed would be ideal for the SVX until I found out that it only adds another gear between 1st and 2nd (or was it 2nd and 3rd - pretty sure it's the former) and not another 'overdrive' gear after 5th. The SVX doesn't lack low-end grunt like the 2.0L turbos, so I would think that the STi 6-speed would be more of a novelty than actually useful.

ensteele 03-07-2004 07:45 PM

I would love to have another higher gear above 5th. I am at 3500 rpm when doing 80 mph. :( With my other cars, I am only doing 2750 at 80. Big difference at the gas pump. It does have lots of pep though. :)

wawazat?? 03-07-2004 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby
Todd (wawazat?) is doing a 6 speed

SWEET! I've always wanted a 6 speed! :p

I'm putting in a WRX 5 speed Matt. My truck has a 6 speed though:D I row it daily:D

Chicane 03-07-2004 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I would love to have another higher gear above 5th.
Yes, this is why I originally wanted a 6 spd, but it woudn't help anything.... a 6 spd is the same thing as a 5 spd, with another gear between 1st and 2nd.... so it wouldn't help your top end at all. :\

- Rob