The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Two installs, problems with one (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29284)

Amazonparrot 10-30-2005 04:33 PM

Two installs, problems with one

I finished installing my ECUtune Stage 1v4 today, took a while, but no biggie, I installed it w/out the switch for 87 octane. I can't wait for it to kick in...from what im told it will take 2-3 tanks of gas to work fully?

Anyhow, a few days ago, Chike installed my Smallcar Shift kit, which works fairly well, but I am still getting the power light flashing 16 times upon startup. What could be causing this light, which is of course different from the standard power light blinking 9 times upon disconnecting the resistor. Thanks for any input! :p

-Andrew

Electrophil 10-30-2005 05:13 PM

Flashing 16 times just means you have a transmission trouble code stored. :)

Chiketkd 10-30-2005 05:29 PM

Andrew,

I cut the green and yellow wire in your car, which was the same one I cut in mine. As long as that one wire you put a new connector on today is properly hooked up, the shift kit should be functioning properly.

FWIW, several members who install the shift kit still get the 16 flashes of the power light at start up. The new version of shift kit (which you bought) was supposed to have solved this problem, but a few members still get the 16 flashing lights. If you put your trans in '3' and it doesn't lurch when you slow down for a stop light, then the shift kit is working. If the lurching is still there, e-mail Small Car about your issue. You may need to return it for a new one as that unit may be faulty...

-Chike

Amazonparrot 10-30-2005 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Electrophil
Flashing 16 times just means you have a transmission trouble code stored. :)

I guess that means I'll have to clear it and see what happens....but the battery was disconnected a few times today, wouldn't that clear it?

Seraph 10-30-2005 06:29 PM

It may not clear it. Just pull the code.

Amazonparrot 10-30-2005 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seraph
It may not clear it. Just pull the code.

Yay, more work for the never-ending list :p JK, its really not that hard. Thanks!

AFBeefcake 10-30-2005 08:13 PM

Do a search under my name for the fix. I got one of the first shift kits and had to make up a resistor to stop the power light from blinking, but it will only work on the three pin switches.
I have not seen one of the new kits so this mite not help you.

svxcess 10-30-2005 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Andrew,

I cut the green and yellow wire in your car, which was the same one I cut in mine. As long as that one wire you put a new connector on today is properly hooked up, the shift kit should be functioning properly.

FWIW, several members who install the shift kit still get the 16 flashes of the power light at start up. The new version of shift kit (which you bought) was supposed to have solved this problem, but a few members still get the 16 flashing lights.

It doesn't matter which wire you cut. What does matter is which end of the wire is connected to the resistor that is in the Shift kit, when it opens.

Green/Red wire------dropping resistor-------kit resistor------switch contacts-----Green/Yellow wire---A solenoid

This will run the Green/Red wire to ground through the kit resistor, and all will be well. :)

But if it is connected;
Green/Red wire ----dropping resistor-----switch contacts----kit resistor----- Green/Yellow wire----A solenoid.

In this hookup, when the kit switch opens, the dropping resistor line is open circuit, and the A solenoid is connected to ground through the kit resistor. This will bring on the light, as the TCU detects the open. :mad:

Amazonparrot 11-10-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svxcess
It doesn't matter which wire you cut. What does matter is which end of the wire is connected to the resistor that is in the Shift kit, when it opens.

Green/Red wire------dropping resistor-------kit resistor------switch contacts-----Green/Yellow wire---A solenoid

This will run the Green/Red wire to ground through the kit resistor, and all will be well. :)

But if it is connected;
Green/Red wire ----dropping resistor-----switch contacts----kit resistor----- Green/Yellow wire----A solenoid.

In this hookup, when the kit switch opens, the dropping resistor line is open circuit, and the A solenoid is connected to ground through the kit resistor. This will bring on the light, as the TCU detects the open. :mad:

I feel so stupid :( that made no sense to me. Chike, as to what you said, the problem still exists where it gear "hunts" on deceleration, so its basically not working at all :mad: I might put another connector on it and cover in it dieelectric grease to ensure a good contact?

shotgunslade 11-19-2005 01:35 PM

Quote:

This will run the Green/Red wire to ground through the kit resistor, and all will be well.

But if it is connected;

In this hookup, when the kit switch opens, the dropping resistor line is open circuit, and the A solenoid is connected to ground through the kit resistor. This will bring on the light, as the TCU detects the open.
Sorry to resurrect a prehistoric thread, but I interpret your remark correctly, I don't have to cut any wires, I just have to reverse the connections to the smallcar shift kit. Pull the two connectors off the kit and revverse them Correct?

svxcess 11-19-2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

This remark was made originally by oab_au in this thread.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...e+open+circuit

It makes sense to me, but maybe he can clarify it better.