The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   This could be important... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59700)

kwren 04-22-2012 12:48 PM

This could be important...

The other day I had a low tire coming home. I was close and slowly drove on home and pulled in the garage. Opened the trunk and pulled out the Donut... the "Spare tire". I have 53,000 on the "92 Silver" and the spare tire looked like it had never been removed from the car. I put it on and started backing out of the garage, heard a Pop and that "Donut" was flat. Pulled back in the garage, took the spare out of my "92 Pearl" 72,000 miles on that one, which looked like it also had never been on the ground. I backed the car completely out of the garage that time and again, Pop! Another flat.
I went to the 92 that has 200,000 miles on it, got the Donut out and put it on Silver. The third one "was a charm". Finally... a Donut that worked. It got me to Discount tire in Puyallup WA.

After a round trip flight to go and check out the car, the new Michelin tires were purchased in eastern Washington by the dealer from Discount tires with an existing 45,000 mile mileage guarantee. There was no COSTCO there so I was at their mercy.

We flew over again and picked up the car and drove it home. Discount tire ended up charging me "half the price of a new tire" to replace it, with less than 2,000 miles on the tires, and that was only after I had "drawn a crowd".

Might be wise to replace the tube in your spare if there is a chance that you will ever need it.

Might also be wise to forgo Discount tire for your tire needs!

In case there is a shortage of tubes that fit our "Donuts, please give me a week or so to try to find me 3 tubes for my 3 and they go after it!!:lol:

Keith:cool:

Blacky 04-22-2012 02:18 PM

Re: This could be important...

Do the spares come with tubes from the factory or are you adding them because the tires popped?

Crazy_pilot 04-22-2012 04:21 PM

The spares don't come with tubes.

I check mine at least once a year, and always before long trips.

kwren 04-22-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blacky (Post 702737)
Do the spares come with tubes from the factory or are you adding them because the tires popped?

I have to find out what is possible

Green1995SVX 04-22-2012 07:45 PM

What was their reason for denying you the warranty coverage? I actually had an issue with Michelins on my A6 with the tread completely separating from the tire. I am still running Michelins on my SVX, but on my S8 I have switched to Pirellis, and on my A6 I have switched to Continentals. I am actually extremely happy with the Pirellis and will probably begin putting them on all of my cars as the tires wear out.

kwren 04-22-2012 07:56 PM

Sorry about the misinformation, but It looks like the valve stem just popped! I only looked at one, but I would surmise that that is the same with the other one.

I can't walk till I get my new knees in a couple of months and then do some rehab, so even getting one spare out of the car was a problem for me when it happened.
Anyhow, likely just a new valve stem will do the trick.

Again, sorry...:o

kwren 04-22-2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 702750)
What was their reason for denying you the warranty coverage? I actually had an issue with Michelins on my A6 with the tread completely separating from the tire. I am still running Michelins on my SVX, but on my S8 I have switched to Pirellis, and on my A6 I have switched to Continentals. I am actually extremely happy with the Pirellis and will probably begin putting them on all of my cars as the tires wear out.

Not sure... I didn't get them there because the car was in eastern Washington. The dealer did but the receipt was made out in our name and on our visa. I also had bought a set of Michelin for one of my other svx's a few months earlier from the same location, in Puyallup WA. It certainly wasn't Michelin's doing. I have used their tires for decades and thay have always been great.

They could just have been trying to take advantage of some 81 year old cripple. :lol:

Not a good business model...

If Costco carried Pirellis I would certainly consider them.

I still have that Puyallup discount tire on the back burner but it takes time and since so little is involved money wise, I will probably simply send the information to the main office and be content to simply badmouth them a bit.:lol: Why not?? If I am treated fairly, you can't shut me up about that either!

It is amazing how nice we are treated when we originally make a purchase, but how things can change with even a small problem.

Gamesy 04-22-2012 09:14 PM

took mine out, never used but horribly rusted

1986nate 04-22-2012 09:52 PM

I've run tons of donuts on SVXes as I've towed them, moved them, etc and never had an issue. This includes some that are horribly weather checked. Must just have been some back luck.

92snowmachine 04-23-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 702763)

sounds like your trunk may be leaking.

dannmarr 04-23-2012 08:00 PM

I never was a fan of donuts. I drive with a full spare in the trunk.:rolleyes:

Green1995SVX 04-23-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 702846)

I have a full size spare in both of my audis (they all come with them), however, a full size spare won't fit in the tire well of the SVX without distorting the floor of the trunk. :(

RojoRocket 04-24-2012 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 702754)
Sorry about the misinformation, but It looks like the valve stem just popped! I only looked at one, but I would surmise that that is the same with the other one.

I can't walk till I get my new knees in a couple of months and then do some rehab, so even getting one spare out of the car was a problem for me when it happened.
Anyhow, likely just a new valve stem will do the trick.

Again, sorry...:o

Don't be sorry Keith. I for one can empathize with anyone going through Knee replacement, having taken my Mom in and seeing her through having one of hers done. The follow-up therapy was difficult to say the least, and I wish you well! Too bad you're not closer, and I could offer a hand. Thanks for bringing this issue to the attention of the SVX community, as any of us could find ourselves victim to a "tired" spare! :rolleyes:

Glenn

dcarrb 04-24-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamesy (Post 702763)

I had to break off the retainer bolt to get the spare out of my silver SVX; the threads were rust-seized. The tire had obviously never been used and had zero air pressure. Both the tire and wheel look brand new.

Conventional wisdom would probably be to replace these things every decade or so, whether or not they've been used.

dcb

Turbone 04-24-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannmarr (Post 702846)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green1995SVX (Post 702855)
I have a full size spare in both of my audis (they all come with them), however, a full size spare won't fit in the tire well of the SVX without distorting the floor of the trunk. :(

I dont think I could fit a 18in wheel in the spare tire well :(