The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What a GREAT Board! antenna fix+ (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9605)

STORMINORMAN 03-28-2003 09:08 AM

What a GREAT Board! antenna fix+

Did a search yesterday using "antenna" as the criteria and got 8 pages! Should have used "antenna & replacement"!

Anyway, the info found (including a 4 page "how-to") surely helped me avoid what I figured to be at least a $75 repair. Maybe twice that!

By the way, opening up the antenna mechanism and cleaning it out is not too difficult, since you have it out anyway to clean/replace the mast. The only tricky part is getting the bugger back together exactly the way it was, with the inner "actuation" ring pointing in the right direction! I found this easier that just jamming the plastic pigtail "2 inches or so" back into the mechanism. Retracted/extended completely on the 1st try.

With almost 11years of regular lubrication & parking outside I was amazed at the amount of gunk in both the mast assy & especially in the mechanism itself! A decade of lube + dirt can really gum up the works.:eek: A spray lube like WD-40 eventually disolved the black goo: that & a lot of toothpicks, paper towels soaked in the spray and about 40 Q-Tips. The drain tube was clear, so water was still draining out, but the cause of my failure was just plain accumulation over time.

Does anyone know what the original lube in the antenna mechanism is? It looks like regular clear petroleum jelly.

I wonder if drilling a little hole in the case and spraying in a white lithium grease every year or two would extend the life?

Anyhow, yet another great trip to the Board. Thanks to everyone!
:cool:

Chicane 03-28-2003 10:33 AM

don't use lube, it attracts dirt and dust etc. The '11 years' of you lubing it was what caused it to get that dirty. Instead, take some wax paper, extend the antenna by turning on the radio, and 'stroke' the antenna with the wax paper. That creates friction, and a tiny bit of wax melts onto the antenna, keeping it dirt free and lubed enough.

- Rob

Aredubjay 03-28-2003 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
and 'stroke' the antenna
- Rob

ehehehe ;) :D

svxistentialist 03-28-2003 04:25 PM

Ms Interpretation

Quote:

Originally posted by Chicane
and 'stroke' the antenna with the wax paper.
- Rob

Which part of an ant is the enna??

And why would Rob be stroking it??:) :D

:rolleyes:

CigarJohnny 03-29-2003 08:41 AM

Re: What a GREAT Board! antenna fix+

Quote:

Originally posted by STORMINORMAN
Did a search yesterday using "antenna" as the criteria and got 8 pages! Should have used "antenna & replacement"!

Anyway, the info found (including a 4 page "how-to") surely helped me avoid what I figured to be at least a $75 repair. Maybe twice that!

By the way, opening up the antenna mechanism and cleaning it out is not too difficult, since you have it out anyway to clean/replace the mast. The only tricky part is getting the bugger back together exactly the way it was, with the inner "actuation" ring pointing in the right direction! I found this easier that just jamming the plastic pigtail "2 inches or so" back into the mechanism. Retracted/extended completely on the 1st try.

With almost 11years of regular lubrication & parking outside I was amazed at the amount of gunk in both the mast assy & especially in the mechanism itself! A decade of lube + dirt can really gum up the works.:eek: A spray lube like WD-40 eventually disolved the black goo: that & a lot of toothpicks, paper towels soaked in the spray and about 40 Q-Tips. The drain tube was clear, so water was still draining out, but the cause of my failure was just plain accumulation over time.

Does anyone know what the original lube in the antenna mechanism is? It looks like regular clear petroleum jelly.

I wonder if drilling a little hole in the case and spraying in a white lithium grease every year or two would extend the life?

Anyhow, yet another great trip to the Board. Thanks to everyone!
:cool:

You have a link to that 4-page how-to? Would be much appreciated. :)

STORMINORMAN 03-29-2003 10:39 AM

Link

Ceegar, I don't know exactly how to do the link attachment, but...

Use the search function, put in "antenna mast" and search all boards and you should be able to pick it out easily. It is listed at least twice and is on the "SVX World network" also.

Good luck!

Norm:cool: