The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Changing Fog Lights (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9332)

petesvx2 03-15-2003 01:50 PM

Changing Fog Lights

Whats the easiest way to get the fog lights out and in to replace them? My hands arent nimble enough to do it the way I was trying.

CDG 03-15-2003 02:54 PM

take it to a shop:p

sorry:D you asked for the easiest way.

ensteele 03-15-2003 04:44 PM

:D

petesvx2 03-15-2003 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CDG
take it to a shop:p

sorry:D you asked for the easiest way.

LOL good one...What I meant to say, how can I easily get my hand in there?

BluebyU 03-16-2003 09:13 AM

There really isn't an easy way that I could find. Taking them out and replacing them would be the easiest. Would I do that? Nope!! When I changed mine to Piaa crysal ions, it was cold as crap outside. It must have taken me 45 minutes to change them. It takes patience lotus blossom......now if i could just get mine aimed right........

Earthworm 03-18-2003 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BluebyU
now if i could just get mine aimed right........
I know what you mean. My fogs are out of alignment compared to the headlights. The fogs only shine about 10 feet in front of the car. The bumper also cuts off the effectiveness of the fogs. :rolleyes:

JLittell 03-18-2003 11:11 AM

Get a pair of needle nose pliers. Hold in place and snap the wire into place. Took me 3 minutes.

ensteele 03-18-2003 11:15 AM

Looks like you need to do a "How To" with pictures! :D

JLittell 03-18-2003 11:18 AM

Different strokes for different folks! :D

kuoh 03-18-2003 12:05 PM

I don't believe they are out of alignment. Fog lights are an exercise in compromise between light penetration and backscatter. They are not designed to project anywhere near as far as the low beams. Because fog is very effective at scattering light, they are only designed to provide improved closeup lighting. You are supposed to slow down anyway in heavy fog.

As for their location, having them below the bumper would not improve their lighting distance. It could however reduce back scattering due to the bumper cutting off stray light rays that might have otherwise headed up to be reflected back to the driver.

Unfortunately, many drivers use them as supplements to the low beams and some even adjust their aim to match, much to the dismay of other drivers. Whenever I see a car with fog lights that are more blinding than the low beams, I wish my car had "light" seeking missles.

KuoH

Quote:

Originally posted by Earthworm
I know what you mean. My fogs are out of alignment compared to the headlights. The fogs only shine about 10 feet in front of the car. The bumper also cuts off the effectiveness of the fogs. :rolleyes:

Earthworm 03-18-2003 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
Whenever I see a car with fog lights that are more blinding than the low beams, I wish my car had "light" seeking missles.

I agree 100%

My fog lights are still out of alignment. The dims are level but one fog is noticibly lower than the other.

BluebyU 03-18-2003 02:54 PM

I'm actually happy with the light that my fogs emit, however, my driver's side fog light shines directly into the eyes of oncoming traffic and needs to be aimed downward just a bit. I've been on the receiving end of their light and it's not fun. I'm told the only way to adjust them is to take the headlight off the car, and i'm not too inclined to do that as I might break something......lol....

kuoh 03-18-2003 03:11 PM

Unless the bulb is incorrectly seated, I don't think there is a way to adjust the aim of the fog lights independently from the other lights. The aiming assembly in the SVX adjust the entire unit.

KuoH

JLittell 03-18-2003 03:15 PM

I don't think the fogs are adjustable.

svxcess 03-18-2003 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kuoh
Unless the bulb is incorrectly seated, I don't think there is a way to adjust the aim of the fog lights independently from the other lights. The aiming assembly in the SVX adjust the entire unit.

KuoH

The stock H3 bulbs are impiossible to seat incorrectly. They only go in one way and the metal spring clip which holds the bulb in and provides the ground will not fasten under the notch if the bulb is not seated 100%. The whole assembly adjusts as a unit, there are no individual adjustments for just the fog lights.

I recently replaced all my bulbs across the front with the PIAA Platinums. The easiest way for me is to pop out the corner lights and grille, take the 4 bolts out that hold each assembly in place, unplug the connectors and remove the assembly. Total time for removal of both headlight assemblies, bulb replacement (6) and reinstall should be no more than 20 minutes total.