The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Proven Engine Enhancements (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   crank pullies (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42699)

dennyo 01-09-2008 02:06 PM

crank pullies

I'm thinking about a lightweight pulley and I don't really know much about them as far as reliability,performance(good or bad) and also how hard to change them.Getting at it not getting it off.Anyone have any experience with these things?Are they worth it?

Crazy_pilot 01-09-2008 03:43 PM

I'm waiting for a chance to put mine in. I'll do it while I'm doing my timing belt/water pump/seals/PWR rad/plugs....etc...

wawazat?? 01-09-2008 04:52 PM

Relatively easy to get too but hard to tighten to the correct torque effectively.

Are they worth it? With the Stage 1.v5, Perrin pulley, Stebro muffler, K&N air filter installed the SVX is still the slowest car in the fleet:(

processengr 01-09-2008 05:11 PM

I often wonder that too...

The original is of a different design. The OEM 2 pc assembly is "decoupled" from the engine through the elastomer joining the two units to reduce/eliminate spurious resonances aka annoying noises...
The questions being...
  • Was the original "over-engineered" and unnecessary ?
  • Are the spurious resonances consonant and pleasant? Anyone who has removed their intake "snorkus" and likes it will understand.....
  • Do the spurious resonances even exist?
  • Will I notice those little sounds?

Myxalplyx 01-09-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyo (Post 520222)
I'm thinking about a lightweight pulley and I don't really know much about them as far as reliability,performance(good or bad) and also how hard to change them.Getting at it not getting it off.Anyone have any experience with these things?Are they worth it?

I think since the car is such a pig, you may not notice any performance difference/change. I have a lighter weighing, undersized unit and any change in performance was not noticable by me. It is lighter though (Bomz Pulley off ebay). I did not measure before and after results. Since I weighed it and it is lighter than stock AND I have had no problem with it, I am keeping it on.

My ghetto technique to removing it and putting it back on is to stick a large thin shaped wrench into the space where the flexplate is to keep the engine from turning when I turn the bolt. I don't recommend this since it is not a by-the-book approach but it has always worked for me. A manual tranny approach will be different.

dennyo 01-10-2008 11:23 AM

Apologies for not posting under the proper heading.It sounds to me like it isn't worth it in the long run without other mods as well to maximize it.Thanks to all.

Nevin 01-10-2008 05:38 PM

I just visited Unorthodox Racing's website, and it seems as though they make a stock diameter and an undersized pulley... To anyone who is interested, that is.

Does anyone make a full pulley set? I would imagine that a full set of lightweight pullies (stock size or smaller) would net possibly useful gains...

Crazy_pilot 01-10-2008 06:03 PM

Group A Performance makes a matched set of crank, alternator, and power steering pulleys. I have the crank and alt ones, I'm not sure if the P/S pulley fits our pumps.

Nevin 01-10-2008 07:37 PM

Did you have to change belts when you went to those pullies?

Crazy_pilot 01-10-2008 07:49 PM

They're not on the car yet, but I don't expect I will have to.

It's Just Eric 01-10-2008 10:18 PM

Ive had the stock pully, aluminum one piece, and aluminum underdrive.

no notable diffrences in any way shape or form have been noted in any performance or ride comfort aspect ever, aside from the need to purchace a belt 1" shorter than stock for the underdriven pully