The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   the passing of a friend... (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33171)

subi-crosser 05-12-2006 12:12 AM

the passing of a friend...

just recieved word that a man I have known for 20 years passed away at midnight (eastern time), Fortunately, I recieved a call 45 min before I had to be at work, telling me to go see him, if I was so inclined. I was so inclined, and he lived between my house and work, so I did. ( NOT waiting till tomorrow).

I have also recieved a request for some pics to be added into the selection that the obit would be drawn from.. I found an album and a stack!! I'm sure that I have the 'winner'..

Just about every 'car event' I attended, we were camped in such a way that we could keep each other up with our snoring!! We shared most meals while we were there, and every time I needed help putting on the driving events, "Beat" was always there!! Even last year, after undergoing cancer surgury, he was out there baking in the sun with me choking on tire smoke and dust, and SMILING, because that's what he LOVED to do!! Not so much the 'choking' part, but the HELPING part!!

I asked him, one day if he had a quart of oil that I could buy from him, since I had already hooked up the camper, and didn't want to stop on my way out..
He told me " No, I don't have one I can sell to you, But I have one I will GIVE to you"

His legacy, " If he had it, and a friend needed it, it was theirs"...

Rough around the edges, but a heart of gold.

R.I.P Donald Winchester sr, 5-12-2006

Jerry ( just needed to share)

ensteele 05-12-2006 12:24 AM

I am sorry to hear you lost a good friend. They are not as common as they once were. I am sure you will miss him, but you can keep him alive in your heart. :)

subi-crosser 05-12-2006 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
I am sorry to hear you lost a good friend. They are not as common as they once were. I am sure you will miss him, but you can keep him alive in your heart. :)

Thanks, I needed that!!!

While looking through the 'archives', I found pics of 6 other, car related) friends,( now deceased), and the obit I cut out of the paper for my 'Mentore'....The worst part about living long, is that you have no friends left when it's your turn!!!

"It's better to burn out, than it is to rust",
Niel Young

Now I gotta go 'corvette huntin' in their honor!!!( in a supercharged SVX)

Jerry

dcarrb 05-12-2006 05:51 AM

Condolences on the loss of your friend. As I near 50, I can relate to the what you wrote about the "worst part" of advancing years. The older you get, the more names you recognize in the obituaries.

dcb

Hocrest 05-12-2006 06:48 AM

Jerry sorry to hear of your loss.

Chiketkd 05-12-2006 08:22 AM

Jerry,

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'll keep your friend and his family in my prayers.

Landshark 05-12-2006 10:18 AM

my sympathies, Jerry.

Nemesis Destiny 05-13-2006 08:21 AM

Your first post was a touching eulogy. Thanks for sharing.