The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   accident questions (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42362)

Hop 12-15-2007 07:18 PM

accident questions

I just got off the phone with my daughter (who's on my policy). She was just rear ended at a stop light. She drives a honda civic. The guy that hit her received the ticket and told the cop that he just wasn't paying attention. My daughter said that he's a younger guy living at home with his parents and that he called them and told them that he "was in his usual fender bender." She also said that he didn't want to use his insurance. He wants her to go get an estimate and that he'll pay for it to be fixed.

Any recommendations?

subi-crosser 12-15-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hop (Post 515587)
I just got off the phone with my daughter (who's on my policy). She was just rear ended at a stop light. She drives a honda civic. The guy that hit her received the ticket and told the cop that he just wasn't paying attention. My daughter said that he's a younger guy living at home with his parents and that he called them and told them that he "was in his usual fender bender." She also said that he didn't want to use his insurance. He wants her to go get an estimate and that he'll pay for it to be fixed.

Any recommendations?

Make them sign something and get it NOTORIZED!! Then the " You didn't call the insurance co" thing has no merit. If they won't go to a notary, call the cops!

My first ex-wife hit something every month! I always paid cash. Been there, done that.

Crazy_pilot 12-15-2007 07:33 PM

^^^What he said. Get a written and signed note from the guy stating he was at fault, and his insurance info, so if he comes up short on cash you can go to his insurance people.

svxstarship 12-15-2007 08:10 PM

I have just be through this. Do not delay, call your insurance company and report it. Do not do a deal on the side. Here in Toronto you must by law report the accident if the damage is over 1000.00. I think there might be a time limit on making an insurance claim also.

It is a common scam here in Toronto where someone rearends you, want' s to make deal, delays, delays, and never pays. Or gets their damage fixed and then claims to never have hit you.

Hondasucks 12-16-2007 11:48 AM

I'd check your local laws too, I know here in Oregon if the accident is over $1,000 in damage OR there is an injury/death (no matter how minor an injury) it has to be reported to the DMV on their accident report form.

And "usual fender bender" to me is an immediate red flag for "Obviously hasn't figured out how to drive" and probably shouldn't be driving, I'd report it to insurance if I were you, kid obviously needs driver's ed.