The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Transmission and Drivetrain (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   OBDII Mt conversion??? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36557)

SoobCrazy 11-28-2012 10:20 AM

Re: OBDII Mt conversion???

Damn, that is not what I wanted to hear guys! I was hoping all these years later that a fix would have been discovered.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 442319)
I would like to come up with a fix for the problem. Just throwing around the idea because I do not think there is a single OBDII mt SVX out there right now

Still up for that challenge? I think my flex plate took a dump, so I'm begrudgingly collecting parts for a manual swap.

Tom, do you still sell modded pedal boxes and shift linkages?

1986nate 11-28-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoobCrazy (Post 716321)
Damn, that is not what I wanted to hear guys! I was hoping all these years later that a fix would have been discovered.

Still up for that challenge? I think my flex plate took a dump, so I'm begrudgingly collecting parts for a manual swap.

Tom, do you still sell modded pedal boxes and shift linkages?

You realize that post was from 6 years ago. It is common knowledge now. Both him and I are telling you and anyone else that wants to keep asking, that it will have a permanent CEL from the lost comm link.

SoobCrazy 11-28-2012 11:16 AM

Doesn't do much good when the thread's topic doesn't have a resolution, now it does! :)

Would it be possible to take a freeze-frame or a few seconds worth of data from the TCU and send a loop of that data to the ECU to trick it into thinking that the car still has an automatic?

Would simply leaving the TCU plugged in and in place on the car be enough to get around this CEL business?

On a slightly related side note, has anyone ever converted an OBD2 car back to OBD1 ECU/wiring/TCU to get around these issues?

icingdeath88 11-28-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoobCrazy (Post 716324)
Doesn't do much good when the thread's topic doesn't have a resolution, now it does! :)

Would it be possible to take a freeze-frame or a few seconds worth of data from the TCU and send a loop of that data to the ECU to trick it into thinking that the car still has an automatic?

Would simply leaving the TCU plugged in and in place on the car be enough to get around this CEL business?

On a slightly related side note, has anyone ever converted an OBD2 car back to OBD1 ECU/wiring/TCU to get around these issues?

There will be sensors and such that are missed by the TCU due to the lack of an auto transmission that will result in other errors.

Changing it to OBD1 wiring ought to work fine for getting rid of the CEL, but it wont' pass emissions testing or whatever due to the lack of OBD2. Actually, the thing to do would be to build an OBD2 - OBD1 adapter, then just plug in the OBD1 ECU. I think Young Tom made one, and I'd be up for the challenge if I had an OBD2 pinout.

Huskymaniac 11-28-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 716317)
Good luck replicating everything the TCU would see and have it report back to the ECU. It's not a simple range of voltage but complete communication back and forth.

Ok, so it is a digital signal. Have you seen it to know what is being communicated? First off, it is one line so it is likely one way data from the tcu to the ecu. Second, obd2 is not required to report tranny data so it is unlikely that there is a ton of information being passed. It is probably a simple "ok" signal or a signal reporting the obd2 error code.

SoobCrazy 11-28-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 716326)
First off, it is one line so it is likely one way data from the tcu to the ecu... It is probably a simple "ok" signal or a signal reporting the obd2 error code.

This is what I was hoping it was. It's not CANBUS or anything, we're talking 1996 here... Can't be that complicated, right? :D

A jumper to an OBD1 ECU would be great, then I could take advantage of all the upgrades.
1) Has this been successfully done before? How close were any stillborn projects to completion and what caused the demise?
2) What would be involved? Could a few signals be tricked and work like OEM, or...?
3) Is this a worthwhile endeavor, vs. an aftermarket EMS?

TomsSVX 11-28-2012 03:51 PM

Yes i made a jumper for obdii to obdi. Yes it works. Its worthwhile because you will need it to go along with a standalone ems anyway.

Tom

icingdeath88 11-28-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 716336)
Yes i made a jumper for obdii to obdi. Yes it works. Its worthwhile because you will need it to go along with a standalone ems anyway.

Tom

Where did you get the pinout for the OBD2 ECU? I haven't come across one yet as far as I can tell.

Also, did you use twisted/shielded wires for the crank/cam wires?

TomsSVX 11-28-2012 05:17 PM

I had it on my old mitchel on demand cd.... old school members will remember i did a fundraiser for the network with them... dont have them anymore tho

I did not use sheilding as it was prototype work... but twisting the wires will work fine. In all reality the wires are not long enough to require it

Tom

icingdeath88 11-28-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 716341)
I had it on my old mitchel on demand cd.... old school members will remember i did a fundraiser for the network with them... dont have them anymore tho

I did not use sheilding as it was prototype work... but twisting the wires will work fine. In all reality the wires are not long enough to require it

Tom

Ok, cool. I'll see what I can find.

Huskymaniac 11-28-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icingdeath88 (Post 716344)
Ok, cool. I'll see what I can find.

If you look back you will see that I broke down the wiring and pinout differences. They are minimal except for that damn diagnostic signal going to the OBD2 ECU. Wanna work on this together? When things calm down after Christmas I was hoping to tap into that diagnostic signal and record it.

icingdeath88 11-28-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskymaniac (Post 716349)
If you look back you will see that I broke down the wiring and pinout differences. They are minimal except for that damn diagnostic signal going to the OBD2 ECU. Wanna work on this together? When things calm down after Christmas I was hoping to tap into that diagnostic signal and record it.

Sure. Where did you post that?

Also, I have a 94 and 97, and you have a 96. That should represent all of the TCUs and ECUs. Can you take a pic of the TCU and ECU, where the plugs go, so we can verify the exact wiring of each of them?

I am thinking I can take the plugs from my spare body harness (or find new connectors) and a DIY BOB from here and make an adapter if someone needs one.

TomsSVX 11-29-2012 11:05 AM

I still have my old jumper if any of you are interested

Tom

icingdeath88 11-29-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 716382)

Tom

Sure. How much do you want for it?

Huskymaniac 11-29-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomsSVX (Post 716382)

Tom

Is it a jumper for OBD2 ECU to OBD1 ECU or OBD2 TCU to OBD1 TCU?