The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   DUI *slightly* over the limit (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33335)

nordique14 05-23-2006 11:38 AM

DUI *slightly* over the limit

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060523/...d_drink_driver

Quote:

Driver Has 18 Times Legal Alcohol Limit

By LIUDAS DAPKUS, Associated Press Writer
Tue May 23, 8:42 AM ET

VILNIUS, Lithuania - Lithuanian police were so astonished when they pulled over a truck driver and his breathalyzer test registered 18 times the legal alcohol limit, they thought their testing device must be broken. It wasn't.

Police said Tuesday 41-year-old Vidmantas Sungaila registered 7.27 grams per liter of alcohol in his blood repeatedly on different devices when he was pulled over for driving his truck down the center of a two-lane highway 60 miles from the capital, Vilnius on Saturday.

Lithuania's legal limit is 0.4 grams per liter.

"This guy should have been lying dead, but he was still driving. It must be an unofficial national record," Saulius Skvernelis, the director of the national police traffic control service, told the AP. "He was of high spirits and grinning the whole time he was questioned."

Medical experts say anything above 3.5 grams per liter of alcohol in the blood is lethal for most people.

"A person this intoxicated should be in an intensive care unit, not behind the wheel," said Tautvydas Zikaras, head of the dependence illness center in the country's second-largest city, Kaunas. Zikaras said he had never heard or read of someone being so drunk.

Sungaila, who was slapped with a 3,000 litas ($1,110) fine and the loss of his license for up to three years, told police he had been drinking the night before and tried to freshen up by downing a pint of beer for breakfast.

Lithuania has one of the worst road safety records in the European Union. Last year, 760 people died in traffic accidents in this country of 3.5 million residents. Most were alcohol-related.

Chiketkd 05-23-2006 11:44 AM

That's insane! I'd hate to see the condition of his liver.... :eek:

mohrds 05-23-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiketkd
That's insane! I'd hate to see the condition of his liver.... :eek:

Liver? You really think he had a liver anymore?

Actually, there are studies going on testing the long-believed link between Liver cirrhosis and alcohol abuse. Cirrhosis is being investigated as a byproduct of an Endocrine malfunction that suggests increased risk of alcoholism. They are studying if people who have this Endocrine condition who don't drink have the same Cirrhosis rate as alcoholics with the Endocrine condition.

n00b on demand 05-23-2006 01:36 PM

Now that is a high tolerance! :D

Ricochet 05-23-2006 01:41 PM

Damn you for posting this before me.. but yeah I'd like to be his drinking buddy some night :)

Earthworm 05-23-2006 01:44 PM

So they actually found some blood in his alcohol? :D

bwb3 05-23-2006 02:17 PM

Must have found this.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/bwb3/36012.jpg

Speedklix 05-23-2006 03:25 PM

me pot o gold!!! hehehe

Oh man!! I really do need a few beers today. I can't wait until I can kick back tonight :) :D

DarknessofDeath 05-24-2006 08:14 AM

maybe he's made of alcohol and is trying to get rid of the blood that is trying to produce in his body?

nordique14 05-24-2006 11:08 AM

Looks to be taken somewhere in Ontario. All beer stores in Canada can be found by following the rainbow. It is a magical country.

Nemesis Destiny 05-24-2006 12:54 PM

It looks an awful lot like the beer store on Bruce Street in Sault Ste. Marie... two doors down from where I used to work. If that's the case, the picture would have been taken a few years ago.

Now I will probably wonder until the end of time, where that photo was taken...

bwb3 05-24-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Now I will probably wonder until the end of time, where that photo was taken...
Wish I could help. It came in an e-mail from a fellow beer lover who got it from someone else.:(
Gene

sorceror 05-27-2006 07:53 PM

Hi all ... just in case anyone missed it ... the alcohol content in his body was measured in grams and not by percent of alcohol in his blood as we do in the states. For instance in the states a blood alcohol content of .10 means ten percent of that person's blood contains alcohol. I don't know what 4 grams of alcohol means in terms of percent of alcohol in the blood streqam ... anyone?

SVXplorer 05-27-2006 08:09 PM

Many metric countries measure blood alcohol content (BAC) in grams per 100 millilitres. This article lists the values in grams(g) per litre(L) (1 litre=1000 millilitres), so the decimal place needs to be shifted one place to the left to get the values in g/100 mL. Because the specific gravity of blood is very close to the specific gravity of water, the percentage value and and the weight/volume ratio do not differ to any consequential degree. Thus, the legal limit of 0.4 grams per litre in Lithuania would be approximately equivalent to 0.04%, and Mr. Sungaila's BAC of 7.27 g/L would be equivalent to 0.727%.

Alycone 05-27-2006 11:13 PM

Nice, the highest blood alcohol I've seen is .98, but that guy wasnt driving, just dying. Takes talent to drive a vehicle with so much alcohol on board. :rolleyes: