The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What should I do? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38211)

Cho 04-02-2007 05:47 AM

What should I do?

Never got around to ever fixing my transmission......:( :( :(

Reason was, I had to buy a plane ticket for my dad to go to Laos to see his brother before he was going to die from cancer. Cost me 1600 dollars.. Should have been towards my tranny.

Now I'm short on money and I'm wondering whats the best way to deal with this problem. My car has been sitting outside since October of 06' and I just don't know what I should do with it.

Is there possibly a cheaper way to fix it or do I really have to rebuild the tranny?
Is there a better transmission I should just throw in?
Should I get a loan?
Should I just do a 5mt Swap? I was quoted at a little over 6k for this custom job which I know some of you could do for less and better.

Really would like to see a 5mt in this 95.

I would like your guys opinion on this. Help a fellow brother in Alaska out plz!

Having this car and living in alaska is like a curse.... I love it and hate it at the same time.

Hocrest 04-02-2007 07:40 AM

Get a hold of TomsSVX for info on the speed swap. He can supply all of the parts you need. You could source a Legacy or Impreza 5-Spd from a local yard and find someone local to put it in. Should be much less than 6K.

Or swap in a Legacy 4.11 or 4.44 auto and rear end. Less work, and either of them should also be fairly available in the yards up there.

ensteele 04-02-2007 10:37 AM

The other option you may have is to have a local shop rebuild it for you. That would be much less as well. :)

Crazy_pilot 04-02-2007 01:02 PM

Anchorage? I'd guess that makes it a little hard to visit Tom for a 5-speed. Finding someone to rebuild it is probably your cheapest option.

Cho 04-02-2007 01:13 PM

Yea it does make it hard to visit tom. for a while i was thinking of just getting a cheap used tranny just so i could drive it back to the mainland and get it swapped out but winter had to roll in.

I know a Nissan master tech here in town and he said he could do the swap for me but thats where i got the 6k quote. He said for the parts it wouldnt be much at all but for the labor is whats going to kick me in the butt and I dont know how well of a job he could do since he hasnt done it for an SVX before.

But he does have a 600hp 300zx that hits the qtr mile in 9.2secs. And the only dyno in town.

BTW, how much does it cost for one of toms kits?

I saw a 2004 WRX 5speed Transmission on Ebay today for only 1100 and it was a complete rebuild.

kwren 04-02-2007 10:53 PM

find someone to rebuild it?

I have 2 svx's and i wouldn't get someone to rebuild another one on my cars transmissions if it were free.
Get a real subaru svx replacement and a transmission cooler - use synthetic fluids!
Svx---- what to drive!!:cool:
Good luck

Budfreak 04-02-2007 11:14 PM

Find me a shop to work in(lift,heat), The needed parts, and a roundtrip plane ticket and I'll come install a 4.44 auto for you.;) Much cheaper than a 5 spd and easier to boot.:)

Jason