The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   :( my engine just blew (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10943)

want-a-fast-svx 05-22-2003 10:38 AM

:( my engine just blew

and i just got my car back from the dealership yesterday...I was driving back home and the car wouldnt shift out of first and then just turned off, and now makes a horrible horrible sound...sounds like you can hear the piston going up and down almost...I checked the oil, and there was none at all...When i left in the afternoon yesterday i checked the oil and it was perfect...I cant even tell you how mad i am right now, i really hope they plan on getting me a new engine and not screwing me around here...sorry just had to vent...

RRX 05-22-2003 10:43 AM

Sorry to hear this....Have you called them and told them yet???

Uncamitzi 05-22-2003 10:51 AM

Re: :( my engine just blew

Quote:

Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
and i just got my car back from the dealership yesterday...I was driving back home and the car wouldnt shift out of first and then just turned off, and now makes a horrible horrible sound...sounds like you can hear the piston going up and down almost...I checked the oil, and there was none at all...When i left in the afternoon yesterday i checked the oil and it was perfect...I cant even tell you how mad i am right now, i really hope they plan on getting me a new engine and not screwing me around here...sorry just had to vent...
As one of the few here that has actually blown an SVX engine at speed. (not a pleasent feeling! :eek: ) I feel for you bother!! Good luck!

SHISVX 05-22-2003 10:52 AM

they better get you a new engine....that is murder! :(

Kelli

SVXer95 05-22-2003 11:05 AM

What did they do on it in the first place? Any puddles where you parked?

want-a-fast-svx 05-22-2003 11:18 AM

it went in for the cam , crank, valve cover seals and a waterpump...then the night i picked it up i saw it was leaving a spot of oil, so the next day (yesterday afternoon) i went to the dealership and asked them what was going on since i just had the seals fixed...they said it was just the steering rack so i went on my way and didnt bother to worry about the car at all...i checked the oil before i left to go to the dealership and it was perfect later that same night is when the catastrophe happend

scottsubarus 05-22-2003 11:28 AM

Humm, doing those repairs woulden't require the oil to be drained. Ck your reciept, see if they charged out oil and possibly a filter. A lot of dealerships will change the oil as part of a job like yours because of getting pieces of gasket debris in the system. If they did change the oil then I would say they are on the hook (their insurance).
If I were you I would begin my own search for a good used engine. Otherwise the insurance adjuster will, and he won't care where it comes from OR ask important questions like you would.

I've worked in dealerships or in the car business most of my life. The insurance company will look out for themselves before you I'm afraid. GOOD LUCK!!

Scott
Omaha

PS don't let them "fix" the old engine. Make them put in a different one. Once the engine has been oil starved its a done deal.

want-a-fast-svx 05-22-2003 04:15 PM

ok so i just got home from the dealer and he said they think it is the timing belt tensioner??thats whats making the god awful noise...His reasoning for oil not being existant on the dip stick right after it happend was: "the svx oil pan is xtremely small and right after you turn the car off the oil is still out of the pan, so you have to wait for the oil to drain back down to see if there is oil in it.." is that correct???every other car i've owned you could check the oil right after you were done driving....Is this a major problem???did it do any significant damage to engine being run for aprox. 30 sec...they are gonna know tomorrow when they take the cover off then they'll tell me...i have a bad feeling they are gonna try and say this isnt there fault, but why then didnt they say anything about it being bad???thanks for the replys thus far...

Porter 05-22-2003 06:49 PM

It very well may be the timing belt tensioner, but he's full of crap about the oil. You can check your oil with the motor running and it will show on the dipstick.

svx_commuter 05-22-2003 07:07 PM

The timing belt and tensioner has to come out to change the crank and cam seals. Did you see any oil under the car in the under cover? Maybe they left out the crank seal or cam seal or messed it up. Even if the belt tensioner had the pin left in it and the belt skiped a few teeth or more there would still be oil in the engine.

I would be there asking questions and watching when it came apart.

Uncamitzi 05-22-2003 07:46 PM

Yes Sir!

Quote:

Originally posted by svx_commuter
The timing belt and tensioner has to come out to change the crank and cam seals. Did you see any oil under the car in the under cover? Maybe they left out the crank seal or cam seal or messed it up. Even if the belt tensioner had the pin left in it and the belt skiped a few teeth or more there would still be oil in the engine.

I would be there asking questions and watching when it came apart.

Even if I don't know what the mech is doing I stand and watch! I don't care how it makes them feel. It's my car!

scottsubarus 05-22-2003 08:23 PM

What I can't believe is that he would tell a customer some lame ass story about the oil pan. There is always, always oil in the pan when the engine is running.

I hope he is correct about the tensioner though

Scott

Subafreak 05-22-2003 08:44 PM

I think either way they should have seen it. If your motor turns out ot be blown up, then it's brobly their falt. Changing the seals requiers removal of the timing belt and tensioner, so if there was a problem with it they should have noticed and informed you. So if it ran out of oil because they didn't put it back in or because they screwed up a seal and it leaked out, or if it died because of a timing belt problem it's still there bad and they should fix it at there cost. Don't let them screw you over.

Subafreak 05-22-2003 08:46 PM

BTW. they will give a line about the insurence company not alowing costomers in the service bays. Unfortunatly for you it is true you shouldn't be in there.

Uncamitzi 05-22-2003 11:17 PM

true however,

Quote:

Originally posted by Subafreak
BTW. they will give a line about the insurence company not alowing costomers in the service bays. Unfortunatly for you it is true you shouldn't be in there.
you can stand at the rope or by the door .... I just keep checking. If the place has an outside bay door... I'm there.... I might say that I'm sorry to them once or twice and explain that I'm very nervous about other's working on my car...

Your experience may vary....;)