The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What's the "right time" to do the *strut* (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10595)

rogueBeaste 05-07-2003 07:46 PM

What's the "right time" to do the *strut*

i'm planning to spring for yet another set of rubber soon and just sorta wondered when the struts should be replaced. i don't want to put prima (read: toyo fz4) rubber on my SVX and then wear it out prematurely just because i didn't do the *struts*.

car runs beautifully, but i just thought i'd check and see if there are any guidelines. mine has 119K on the clock, although one would never guess it.

TIA

mattski 05-07-2003 08:09 PM

I would say that you are nearing the end of their useful lives. Have you tried rocking each corner and counting how many times the car bounces?

Matt

lee 05-07-2003 08:46 PM

Usually right after you've done something for which you feel exceptionally proud.

Oh, you mean that other kind of "strut"....nevermind:D

Earthworm 05-07-2003 11:34 PM

Have your struts leaked at all?

Mine have but still pass the bounce test.
Quote:

Usually right after you've done something for which you feel exceptionally proud.
Isn't that when the worst things happen??

earthkin 05-15-2003 12:42 PM

Bounce test?

Okay, having spent most of my life driving old cars with crappy suspensions, I'm confused: how many times should the car bounce when you rock the corners? What's good, what's bad?

RSVX 05-15-2003 12:44 PM

Re: Bounce test?

Quote:

Originally posted by earthkin
Okay, having spent most of my life driving old cars with crappy suspensions, I'm confused: how many times should the car bounce when you rock the corners? What's good, what's bad?

rogueBeaste 05-15-2003 02:22 PM

they don't bounce, although they will compress. problem is, the car seems to ride like a truck, especially over smaller bumps. maybe it's just the treadless rubber.

i'm gonna ask them to look them over (however this is done) when they put on the new tires next week.

thanks,

rB

SVX10 05-16-2003 05:57 AM

Yea...I've got FZ4s and they were crazy smooth when I bought them. They wear really well too. Grip isn't the best, I don't think, but that's OK because they are holdin' up pretty well. Anyway, I have the front end knock that many people get. I didn't really care about that cuz I can't hear it most of the time. But now, the ride is getting a little harsh, and I get some tire noise under braking. There is a little tire noise whiler driving that more or less goes away as speed increases, so I don't think it's a bearing (I've had 2 go out...I'll know the noise if it's around). I've got 120k...is this a sign of bad struts. I also occasionally get some hard pulling to the right under braking...what's that all about?

subymtnguy 05-16-2003 07:30 AM

struts

I replaced the struts on my car at 160k. Made a big difference in ride and handling. I didn't want to put new Yokohama avs db's on it without new struts. I went with the oem struts.
I also replace the ball joints, and the steering rack at the same time....didn't want to tear up $500+ of rubber with sloppy suspension.
It was expensive, but well worth it. I'll never have to do it again.

RSVX 05-16-2003 08:51 AM

how expensive?

mbtoloczko 05-16-2003 02:16 PM

Re: struts

Quote:

Originally posted by subymtnguy
I replaced the struts on my car at 160k. Made a big difference in ride and handling. I didn't want to put new Yokohama avs db's on it without new struts. I went with the oem struts.
I also replace the ball joints, and the steering rack at the same time....didn't want to tear up $500+ of rubber with sloppy suspension.
It was expensive, but well worth it. I'll never have to do it again.

Were the original ball joints worn/loose?

LarryIII 05-16-2003 05:17 PM

The "right" time to do the 'strut' is when the band plays 'stut' music. :D :D :D

rogueBeaste 05-16-2003 05:24 PM

sounds good to me, Larry! :)

Subafreak 05-16-2003 07:32 PM

Thats the thing I'v noticed about Subarus. They don't bounce. I,v had shocks so bad the oil is all gone and the shaft is rusting but it didn't bounce. I'v seen others that arn't as bad and don,t really show any sings of being bad untill you take them off. If your car has over 100k on the original struts than I would definitlly replace them.

Earthworm 05-17-2003 06:08 PM

Oh, sure, say that when mine has 99,500 miles on it! :p