The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Sleeve Lock Regulator Replacement with PHOTOS (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64453)

svxcess 11-01-2017 01:23 AM

Sleeve Lock Regulator Replacement with PHOTOS

1 Attachment(s)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1509520964

SoCoNoHa 11-01-2017 07:10 AM

Re: Sleeve Lock Regulator Replacement with PHOTOS

Well, SOMEONE gets up early...

Thanks Svxcess, now that I know where It goes, I'll check the ones in my doors. One of those was in the glovebox when I bought my SVX, but my windows seem to work fine so I never looked into it.

gwynethh 11-01-2017 12:39 PM

Thank you very much. It is only a matter of time before most of us will nee d this info.

theflystyle 11-02-2017 04:48 AM

This part shows up as no longer available (NLA) on most sites. Its a perfect candidate for 3D printing - small and made out of plastic.

As soon as my baby gets a little older, I want to dive into creating parts for the SVX on a printer and making them available for download for free. Hopefully by then there will be more viable and cheaper options for 3D scanners.

svxnavyvet 11-03-2017 01:05 AM

I have a 3d printer and a kid that can auto cad anything will look into this.

svxcess 11-04-2017 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That would be fantastic. As long as the material is a strong as the nylon original part to handle whatever stresses there are.

This is a part that could take many SVX's off the road if it could not be replaced. Every sale that needed a safety inspection to be registered would fail if the primary windows did not operate.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1509818168

svxcess 03-24-2019 03:39 PM

Re: Sleeve Lock Regulator Replacement SOURCE

1 Attachment(s)

UPDATE

Just to let you know, the sleeve lock regulator used on the rear windows is the identical one to the front. Though used, the yprobably are stronger, since the rear windows get far less usage over time and the strain on the regulator is far less since the window is smaller and lighter in weight. As long as you're going to a pick n' pull, might check this location for spares.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/atta...1&d=1553463461

Blacky 03-24-2019 06:54 PM

Good info. One more thing to remove from my parts car before it goes to the scrap yard this summer.

irox 03-25-2019 02:49 PM

If anybody has a broken or damaged one (or a good one), I would be up for modeling it and printing it to see if this would work. Once we have the model, we can order from online services which can printer them in strong materials than we generally have access to as home/hobby makers.

Alternatively, if somebody wanted to measure the heck out of and send me the measurements, I could try and model/print one that way.

Cheers,
Ian

bwb3 04-26-2019 08:34 AM

I just replaced mine. Unfortunately, that wasn't the problem so, I now have a dirty but unbroken one available for loan.
Gene

jes 09-23-2019 12:15 PM

(continuing from "What have you done to your SVX...")

If there is a batch made, I'm in for a few...

I found a local 3D scanning company, but don't want to take apart a working window unless I have to. I also noticed the UPS store lists 3D printing (no scanning) service at some locations.

jes 09-23-2019 12:56 PM

part number...

probably should add the NLA part # so this thread shows up in searches...

Sleeve Lock Regulator - 62101PA081

irox 09-23-2019 04:36 PM

If somebody has a clip for loan, please PM me and I'll give you my address (I will return after creating the model). (Sorry bwb3, I didn't see you reply, if the offer still stands let me know.)

Otherwise, if somebody could post pics of the clip with some measurements (widths, thicknesses, lengths, heights, etc.), I can try to model it that way.

Or I could try with a broken clip if anybody has one to spare.

Thanks!
Ian.

bwb3 09-24-2019 08:31 AM

I PM'd you Ian.
Gene

irox 10-07-2019 11:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A big thanks to Gene for the loan of his spare clip! Thanks!

Took the first pass at creating the replacement sleeve locker clip. All the key dimension are with in 0.1mm between the original and the copy. Note, the copy does look slightly larger in the picture, but this is because it has square corners, and the original has more rounded corners/edges making it appear slightly smaller.

Also, a week ago my passenger side window stopped working, and the motor just runs. I've not taken a look yet, but it might be an opportunity to test out the 3d printed Sleeve lock clip.

Next steps in development:
- Make sure the clip fits in a real window assembly.
- Try to identify places to add reinforcements to the clip.
- Publish model and code on thingiverse.com.

Ideally, I should take an old SVX door, hook it up an Ardunio with relay shield, and make it drive the window up and down all day counting the number of operations before the clip breaks. But I don't have a spare door, or space to set that up.

The clip should probably be printed in Nylon, so I will try to get a price from shapeways.com (and order one if it's not crazy expensive).

Another possible approach to getting a durable clip could be casting it in nylon resin, or something. Using the model I could create a two piece mold which could be 3D printed, this could be used to cast the final clip.

Cheers,
Ian.