The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New SVX OWNER: how's maintenance? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9088)

CARLiTO_ 03-02-2003 06:26 PM

New SVX OWNER: how's maintenance?

Hi, i juss bought a 92 SVX with about 229,000 kms already on it. It's in great condition but i know that the wheels or something around there can't really handle the weight...anyone know what I am talkin about?

Also, how is maintenance on this car? like is it cheap, reasonable or do i have to start counting my pennies? :)

any help would be appreciated..

CARLiTO

alltrac 03-02-2003 07:16 PM

did you buy this off ebay

CARLiTO_ 03-02-2003 07:17 PM

nah..autotrader..

oab_au 03-02-2003 07:40 PM

Get a piggey bank.

Hi Carl welcome to the board.

Carl Did you ever see a 'show pony woman' that didn't cost you money?
Yes they do but seeing that it has done 229000kms and is still in great condition, shows what a classy gal they are.

Have not heard anything about wheels not taking the weight. You can find out just about everything you would want to know, by using the search button.

Welcome to the club.

Harvey.;)

CARLiTO_ 03-02-2003 07:55 PM

My 92 svx has a 95 transmission...

Any one know any knows probs with the 95 trans?

and what can i do to prolong the life?

Green1995SVX 03-02-2003 08:04 PM

Regarding the transmission:

My car is a 95 with 95 transmission (duh). It went bad for the first time at 90,000 miles. Some 95 transmissions last much longer, some last less. It just depends on how it is taken care of. Add an aux transmission cooler to your car. The problem with the transmissions is heat. :)

I think what you are thinking of are the "wheel bearings." They tend to go bad. If they do go bad, you will hear a roaring sound from either the front or the rear of the car (depending on which bearings are bad).

Best of luck with your new car, and try to set aside some money now, as you WILL likely encounter some problems.

Mike

CARLiTO_ 03-02-2003 08:28 PM

where do i get a "aux transmission cooler" ?

any online stores?

Green1995SVX 03-02-2003 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CARLiTO_
where do i get a "aux transmission cooler" ?

any online stores?

I went to a local transmission shop and said 'please install a transmission cooler on my car' I am sure you can get them online somewhere. :)

Mike

ensteele 03-02-2003 09:26 PM

One of the best places online for parts and price that I have found is Northern Auto Parts .com

Here is a link to a tranny cooler.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...?ProductId=111

Good luck :)

Mr. Pockets 03-03-2003 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele93
One of the best places online for parts and price that I have found is Northern Auto Parts .com

Here is a link to a tranny cooler.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...?ProductId=111

Good luck :)

I put the 16,000GVW B&M cooler (70255) in my car. That's a decent price for the part.

STORMINORMAN 03-03-2003 12:56 PM

Maintenance (preventive) is the key!

I'm surprized nobody has commented on this before...

PM is the 1st & best thing you can concentrate on since you already own your new SVX (pre-sale inspection is 1st otherwise). Most of what is really important can be done by those who have minimal experience. BUY A MANUAL. If money is no object, find a good shop or a reputable dealer. I personally try to do everything I possibly can (on all my vehicles) because knowledge + experience = power!

Depending upon what kind of maintenance records the car came with (if any), a good rule to follow is...

"Unless you have written proof that something was done, don't take any chances: JUST DO IT!"

SVX's are not that expensive to maintain, they just can be really expensive to REPAIR! I would take a look at the 30/60/90K mile (major service) Warranty Schedule for Severe Service and make sure it has all been done within in the required interval, to wit:

Oil & filter, air & fuel filter, transmission fluid & filter change, coolant & brake fluid replacement, fresh gear oil in the front & rear difs. Plugs are not that hard to get to, once you get the airbox & battery box out of the way. PCV is a *****! to swap out, but only costs a couple of $.

Belts & hoses can look OK but failure can leave you stranded or worse. Timing belt and waterpump should not be overlooked. If you are not sure there is one way you CAN be sure and that's to JUST DO IT (or have it done)!

Using the excellent Search function of this Board can really pay off in minimizing your overall co$t$ and time $pent.

Good luck! These are truly great cars!

Mr. Pockets 03-03-2003 01:21 PM

Re: Maintenance (preventive) is the key!

Words to live by. :) Thanks!

CARLiTO_ 03-03-2003 04:20 PM

wow, one day that i have my svx and i just found out that i have to change the right side front ball joint, gonna cost me a good $150 CDN..:(

Green1995SVX 03-03-2003 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CARLiTO_
wow, one day that i have my svx and i just found out that i have to change the right side front ball joint, gonna cost me a good $150 CDN..:(
If i needed a repair to the svx and it only cost $150, I would junp for joy. I've never had a repair bill that low! :)

Mike

CARLiTO_ 03-03-2003 07:01 PM

oh yea, and it's in Canadian $