The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Backup alarm - JDM car (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43544)

edmsvx 03-01-2008 09:04 PM

Backup alarm - JDM car

When I engage reverse I have a backup beeper that sounds inside the car.

Is this a standard feature in JDM cars?

Trevor 03-01-2008 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmsvx (Post 531882)

A backup beeper which sounds to the rear outside the car is common and may be mandatory in japan. However my 92 was not so fitted, but I know many vans and SUV's imported second hand from Japan are equipped this way.

We in NZ have had several small children run over by an SUV driven by family member and in their own driveway. Terrible accident and a reversing horn is a good idea.

hairy 03-02-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edmsvx (Post 531882)

Same with my '95 JDM, it is only audible inside there is no "beeping" outside.

b3lha 03-02-2008 02:12 AM

Yes. JDM cars have a beeper inside the cabin to remind you that it is in reverse. It's not audible outside the car.

Trevor 03-02-2008 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b3lha (Post 531928)
Yes. JDM cars have a beeper inside the cabin to remind you that it is in reverse. It's not audible outside the car.

Phil, what is the point? :confused: On second thoughts, is it in case the driver has selected reverse in error and could be unaware of his destination.:eek:

Is it possible that an outside beeper has been removed? :confused: Mine has neither. Downward facing mirrors outside the rear window are common on Japanese vans and SUV's imported second hand and are a valuable item.

Cheers, Trevor.

b3lha 03-02-2008 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 531932)
Phil, what is the point? :confused: On second thoughts, is it in case the driver has selected reverse in error and could be unaware of his destination.:eek:

That's right Trev. My Dad once did exactly that in his Jaguar. Floored it away from the traffic lights and shot backwards into a builder's lorry. :lol:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 531932)
Is it possible that an outside beeper has been removed? :confused: Mine has neither. Downward facing mirrors outside the rear window are common on Japanese vans and SUV's imported second hand and are a valuable item.

No. All JDM SVXs have the internal beeper. I've never seen one with an external beeper. I want one of those mirrors for my Legacy Estate, but I can't see any easy way to fit one. Maybe I'll get one of those radar sensors instead.

edmsvx 03-02-2008 10:15 AM

Thanks

Mine only beeps inside as well.