The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   sticker shock (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32974)

Hop 04-30-2006 01:22 AM

sticker shock

My car had several stickers on her rear when I got her. I've removed the stickers but can't find anything to get the residual glue off. I've tried WD-40, 409, vinegar, goo-gone, dish detergent and a couple of evil voodoo concoctions that didn't budge the stuff. I figure a blow torch and a razor blade would do the trick but I'd rather not damage the paint. Anybody got any other suggestions?

b3lha 04-30-2006 02:39 AM

I always use petrol (gasoline) for removing sticker residue.

-JJ- 04-30-2006 03:48 AM

I would try using a hairdryer or heat gun rather than a blow tourch;) , (1) heat it up (2) try metho and rubbing, failing that i would goto a razor blade and be very carefull

SilverSpear 04-30-2006 06:25 AM

can you take close pics of the residue so I can tell you exactly how to remove it?

It's Just Eric 04-30-2006 09:36 AM

Im sure a quarter stick of dynomite will do the trick....
I usually use wd-40 and alot of elbow greese

PDSides 04-30-2006 12:14 PM

Finger nail polish remover, but be careful since it contains acetone. Don't rub too hard or leave it on too long. Wash off with soap and water. Good luck.
Preston

Suby Fan 04-30-2006 12:18 PM

i recomend a heat gun and a puddy kinfe with masking tape on the blade thats what we did when i worked at a body shop

gc8.love 04-30-2006 01:17 PM

Goof-Off (a petroleum based solvent) and a razor blade.

Or.. you could try dissolving the adhesive with Spray Nine first. It's paint and clearcoat safe.

triumph1902 04-30-2006 01:31 PM

Use automotive paint degreaser. You can find it in the paint section of any Auto Parts store. It will not damage the paint and will melt the glue residue enough to scrape it off with your fingernail or a plastic spreader. Afterward polish/wax the area. Do not use nail polish remover or any such strong solvents as they will eat up the paint.

ensteele 04-30-2006 01:42 PM

Don't put stickers on your bumper or anywhere else - they are hard to get off! :rolleyes: :D :D

Jade Dragon 05-01-2006 01:46 AM

acetone, D-nate alcohol and mineral spirits are strong enough to get rid of the goo, but not the pain or clearcoating. i wouldnt go any stronget than the acetone though.

DreamingOfSpeed 05-01-2006 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ensteele
Don't put stickers on your bumper or anywhere else - they are hard to get off! :rolleyes: :D :D

I think this advice would have been more useful BEFORE the stickers when on :D

I used a wax stripper made for aircrafts to get some sort of sticker goo off my car (it was in a weird location so i have no idea what it was) it worked great. All i had to do was put it on a rag and rub the spot then rewax the area. It looks as good as new. The stuff is also great for getting rust stains and those weird black streaks off white cars. I dont know the name off the top of my head but i'll ask the guy i got it from (Aircraft detailer :) )