The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   OT: Update on the MR2 (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25619)

Mr. Pockets 04-17-2005 09:31 PM

OT: Update on the MR2

For those who are interested. :)

I had to buy a new set of pistons. I honed the cylinders, the pistons are in and I installed and assembled the rebuilt head I bought.

The little labeled baggies of parts are getting emptied and installed and the bags thrown away. Some of you might know how good that feels, after having the car in the garage, on stands and disassembled, for weeks.

Hopefully it runs when I'm done. :)

Mr. Pockets 04-18-2005 06:37 AM

By the way, I'd like to hear opinions on how to break the engine in. I've heard both the 'be gentle' and the 'beat the snot out of it' theories. Both seem to have merit. So what should I do?

With any luck I'll have to break the engine in very soon. :)

SVXer95 04-18-2005 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
By the way, I'd like to hear opinions on how to break the engine in. I've heard both the 'be gentle' and the 'beat the snot out of it' theories. Both seem to have merit. So what should I do?

With any luck I'll have to break the engine in very soon. :)

I have always heard it is best to be gentle and be sure to vary engine speeds for 1000 miles. Constant highway speeds are not good.

Conn SVX 04-18-2005 07:04 AM

Idle 10 min. check for leaks and over heating before driving. Slow speed at first vari speed and if nothing else change the oil after 100 miles. An engine builder told me Pick an oil, any oil you like and stick with it.

Mr. Pockets 04-18-2005 09:11 PM

It runs. :D

WOOHOO!

Earthworm 04-19-2005 11:40 AM

I also agree with changing the oil early but even as early as 500 miles. Just don't be scared with what you see in the oil. Maybe even change the oil a second time at 1000 miles.

Whe we rebuilt the Justy engine there was a lot of metal in the first oil change and a bit in the second. After that it was fine.

drivemusicnow 04-19-2005 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthworm
I also agree with changing the oil early but even as early as 500 miles. Just don't be scared with what you see in the oil. Maybe even change the oil a second time at 1000 miles.

Whe we rebuilt the Justy engine there was a lot of metal in the first oil change and a bit in the second. After that it was fine.

they way i'm going to break in my eclipse (and seems to be pretty standard with the dsm guys) is gentle driving for 50 miles, change oil, gentle driving for 500 miles, change the oil, and it should be good to go. They suggest not beating on it for at least 1000 miles total though.. oh and !DO NOT! use synthetic motor oil to break in a rebuilt engine...

thundering02 04-19-2005 02:18 PM

I see alot of guys doing the really gentle 50 method but they change theyre oil every 500 till 3k Then they beat it apart like they were before oh and I agree no synthetic