The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   General SVX Babble (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Smoking from the hood!!!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2419)

ironsvxjr 01-07-2002 09:19 PM

Smoking from the hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello svxers, I am here to ask another question. My dad told me to ask all of you what is happening to my svx. We bought the svx and got it on December 23 then it went to the shop because it was smoking really bad out from under the hood. Believe me I am not a good car person but even I could see that we had a really bad oil leak and I thought that it was just from the oil leaking onto my dual exhaust, getting to hot and therefore smoking. Well the shop put on all new front oil seal or crank seal as they put it. It all costed 375 dollars, but the problem is the car still smokes whenever I turn the engine off, or really all the time. I can even notice it when I am stopped at a stop light or something. Any ideas as to what is wrong please tell I need anything I can get. Somebody already told me that it could be a leak in the tranny tourqe converter seal. I don't know just tell me anything you can. thanks. :)

Aredubjay 01-07-2002 09:57 PM

Have them check the hoses to the stock tranny cooler. They sometimes get brittle and crack, or the clamps become loose. That's what was happening to mine, anyway, when mine had the same symptoms.

Motorsport-SVX 01-07-2002 11:15 PM

are you losing any ps fluid...? Power steering lines
on the pass side by the firewall are prone to cracking too.

Mr. Pockets 01-08-2002 09:21 AM

Re: Smoking from the hood!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally posted by ironsvxjr
Hello svxers, I am here to ask another question. My dad told me to ask all of you what is happening to my svx. We bought the svx and got it on December 23 then it went to the shop because it was smoking really bad out from under the hood. Believe me I am not a good car person but even I could see that we had a really bad oil leak and I thought that it was just from the oil leaking onto my dual exhaust, getting to hot and therefore smoking. Well the shop put on all new front oil seal or crank seal as they put it. It all costed 375 dollars, but the problem is the car still smokes whenever I turn the engine off, or really all the time. I can even notice it when I am stopped at a stop light or something. Any ideas as to what is wrong please tell I need anything I can get. Somebody already told me that it could be a leak in the tranny tourqe converter seal. I don't know just tell me anything you can. thanks. :)
It's possible that the leak has stopped, but there's still a mess to be burned off.

My mom's Legacy (has virtually the same transmission) recently had to have a gasket between the transmission and the engine replaced. Apparently Subaru used a plastic gasket, which was failing. This was allowing oil to leak onto the transmission and a great deal of smoke was coming from under the hood. So, assuming that all your seals on the engine are fine now, that's something to have someone look at.

wasions 01-08-2002 01:16 PM

I agree with the new and improved Mr. P. Oil can (I made a funny) sometimes take quite a while to get shed of. Take it on a nice long drive - say - to California and back. But keep your eye on the dash lights and stuff. When you get back, you'll hardly notice any smoke at all. Okay then. Let us know when you get back.;)

Steve

ironsvxjr 01-09-2002 07:50 PM

thanks

Thank you all for the advice. I printed it all out to show mechanic if the car has to go there. Thanks again.:D