The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Other Mods (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Magnaflow or Flowmaster?? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15306)

Kolombian013X 12-29-2003 11:12 PM

Magnaflow or Flowmaster??

Ive seen the ongoing conversations with what exhaust is better for an svx. Ive seen people talk about dual flowmaster 60 series and the single 80 series muffler which matches the Camaros. Then Ive heard about the Magnaflows hi flow cat and straight flowing mufflers. Stebro exhausts are out of the question hence the reason why their not in the subject name. So to get to the my point, which is better and what the main reason for it? Im looking for a deeper tone while not going over the edge with something so loud and performace lacking rather than enhancing. Tell me what your opinions are on the matter and what custom exhaust you have on your svx. Lastly, what are the specs for the stock exhaust on a 94 svx? Thanks for all the help, maybe this can help the ongoing dilemma in my head. LOL

Motorsport-SVX 12-30-2003 01:00 AM

Re: Magnaflow or Flowmaster??

Quote:

Originally posted by Kolombian013X
Ive seen the ongoing conversations with what exhaust is better for an svx. Ive seen people talk about dual flowmaster 60 series and the single 80 series muffler which matches the Camaros. Then Ive heard about the Magnaflows hi flow cat and straight flowing mufflers. Stebro exhausts are out of the question hence the reason why their not in the subject name. So to get to the my point, which is better and what the main reason for it? Im looking for a deeper tone while not going over the edge with something so loud and performace lacking rather than enhancing. Tell me what your opinions are on the matter and what custom exhaust you have on your svx. Lastly, what are the specs for the stock exhaust on a 94 svx? Thanks for all the help, maybe this can help the ongoing dilemma in my head. LOL
I could use either
I sell both
Ive sold more Magnaflow
I use the Magnaflow crossflow on all my Svx's
Judging by what you are wanting out of the system,
its easy: Magnaflow
thats just my 2¢ ..your asking. :) :)

mikecg 12-30-2003 05:26 AM

I did the flowmaster 80 for 2 reasons.

1) they were already known to me and the shop had them on the shelf. I had a 60 series on a V-6 Mustang I totalled before getting the SVX and had a '88 K5 Blazer with a flowmaster also.

2) It was a relatively easy and cheap install. The 80 series flowmaster is the closest in design and fit to the stock muffler. I didnt want to have all the piping redone and to tell the truth. I like an exhaust that looks good as well as sounds good. From the pictures Ive seen of he Stretos and megaflows that people have posted, They look like cheap slap together things.

poweredx2 12-30-2003 08:56 AM

I had a two chamber turbo tube muffler,it sounds like a small v8,now I have a 40 series flowmaster,it sound very deep.I had the shop mount it before the rear wheels.94 fwd:)

Motorsport-SVX 12-30-2003 11:27 AM

the problem I noticed

that alot of people fail to mention is sure it sounds
low and deep but thats usually at idle and under 3000
rpms, Once you get between 3000-5500 rpms the
sound changes dramatically especially outside the car
to the people around you. Inside the car it may not be
as noticeable. Also Flowmasters have been known
to have a resonation thru the cab if you sit at one
speed on the freeway too.
Alot of it depends on your age maybe too :) :)

mikecg 12-30-2003 03:58 PM

Re: the problem I noticed

Quote:

Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
that alot of people fail to mention is sure it sounds
low and deep but thats usually at idle and under 3000
rpms, Once you get between 3000-5500 rpms the
sound changes dramatically especially outside the car
to the people around you. Inside the car it may not be
as noticeable. Also Flowmasters have been known
to have a resonation thru the cab if you sit at one
speed on the freeway too.
Alot of it depends on your age maybe too :) :)

Actually The low RPM is relatively quiet. Thats the reason I went with the flowmaster. The DMV here does a noise checks. below 3000 RPM the exhaust is still relatively quiet. Above that it starts to get loud. The Flowmasters respond completely different to 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder engines. Flowmasters on V-8's wont pass the noise standards. My father has a Flowmaster on his Chevy stepside. And yes it does resionate into the Cab and it is annoying on long trips. I didnt have that problem with my V-6 mustang, or the Suby. Above 3500 RPMs the sound does start to get into the car, but How often do you cruise around at 3500 RPMs? The Flowmasters arent any louder than a Stock Mustang GT or a Camaro at lower RPMs.

Green1995SVX 12-30-2003 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mikecg

From the pictures Ive seen of he Stretos and megaflows that people have posted, They look like cheap slap together things.

Do you mean "Stebros?" If so, you're very wrong.

Mike

Seraph 12-30-2003 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Do you mean "Stebros?" If so, you're very wrong.

Mike

I agree with mike. I also agree with the other mike about the flowmasters.

immortal_suby 12-30-2003 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by poweredx2
I had a two chamber turbo tube muffler,it sounds like a small v8,now I have a 40 series flowmaster,it sound very deep.I had the shop mount it before the rear wheels.94 fwd:)
I heard this exhaust with the flowmaster 40 - It was awesome.

I have the flowmaster 80 - there is a sound clip in my locker. Keep in mind a stock system with this bolted to it will not sound the same as my sound clip - I have custom pipe starting behind the 02 sensors.

mikecg 12-30-2003 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by immortal_suby

I heard this exhaust with the flowmaster 40 - It was awesome.

I have the flowmaster 80 - there is a sound clip in my locker. Keep in mind a stock system with this bolted to it will not sound the same as my sound clip - I have custom pipe starting behind the 02 sensors.

I'd be interest in putting our cars side by side and hearing the difference the resinator makes. I didn't have anything forward of the rear wheels messed with.

immortal_suby 12-30-2003 05:24 PM

Are you gonna be at the next reading meet? :D :D

Kolombian013X 12-30-2003 06:08 PM

So dayle you are very satisfied with the magnaflows on your svx's? If so, are you talking about the same setup that is shown in your warehouse? (The hi flow cat, resonator, muffler, and tips)

Motorsport-SVX 12-30-2003 06:55 PM

honestly

Quote:

Originally posted by Kolombian013X
So dayle you are very satisfied with the magnaflows on your svx's? If so, are you talking about the same setup that is shown in your warehouse? (The hi flow cat, resonator, muffler, and tips)
if I wasnt satisfied with the end results, I would of
kept changing the kit until I got something I really liked
But I get compliments on it everytime Im out driving
and it makes just growl to let someone else know its not
stock anymore, but at the same time doesnt draw too much attention either (like from johnny law etc....) Makes the Porsche guys mad, and all the other "imports" nervous, oh and the V8s guys, it just confuses the hell outta them !! :) :)
Ive had the kit on 3 of my SVX's and will continue to offer them.
Its cost effective & excellent quaility for those who like to get the most for their hard earned $. :) :)

ensteele 12-30-2003 07:03 PM

I have the Magnaflow system on mine and I like it too. It sounds good when you get on it, but not attention getting unless you start to move out. :) It seems to be just enough. ;)

Motorsport-SVX 12-30-2003 07:08 PM

thats cool

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele
I have the Magnaflow system on mine and I like it too. It sounds good when you get on it, but not attention getting unless you start to move out. :) It seems to be just enough. ;)
Ensteel,
Did you keep the resonator inline in the system?

If one where to want even the Magnaflow muffler
to be throatier, the owner of the car could remove
the stock resonator completely with their new system.
If that got too loud over time, they could easily install
a new resonator (like one we offer in our kit) to calm
the sound down a bit.