The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Chicane read this (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14503)

Shadow248 11-18-2003 09:10 PM

Chicane read this

I was just going use PM, but i figured maybe there are others in this forum that can offer information on this too. I need mopar info!

A good friend of mine is going to buy a 1998 (i think) Jeep Cherokee 5.9. He has always wanted one of these and is quite set on it. Since I am very well versed in engines, the first question i get from any of my friends when they get a new vehicle is "dude what can i do to make it more powerful?!", and of course, this situation is no exception. Problem is, i can't really find any info on this engine. So i figured i'd consult the Mopar experts. All i know is it doesn't really seem all that great, i mean it's a 5.9L engine that only makes 245hp. My dads '96 Yukon with the 5.7L made 260hp and that was two years older. So i agree with him in wanting a bit more out of what seems like a very capable engine. I'm sure there is alot that can be done, i just don't really know where to look when it comes to Mopar. So i would appreciate any suggestions on mods, or places that have parts for this engine. Thanks alot.

Ron Mummert 11-18-2003 09:33 PM

Re: Chicane read this

All i know is it doesn't really seem all that great, i mean it's a 5.9L engine that only makes 245hp. My dads '96 Yukon with the 5.7L made 260hp and that was two years older.

'scuse me, but what's the point? A Yukon probably outweighs the Jeep by six tons. What's your pal gonna' do with the jeep? Autocross? Dragster? Scale climbing walls at the mall?
Heck, just stick a "Type R" decal on it. The chicks'll just faint dead away.

Ron.

JLittell 11-18-2003 09:52 PM

...or slap some slick 12" tires on the Jeep and call it good!

Shadow248 11-18-2003 09:55 PM

Re: Re: Chicane read this

Quote:

Originally posted by Ron Mummert
'scuse me, but what's the point? A Yukon probably outweighs the Jeep by six tons. What's your pal gonna' do with the jeep? Autocross? Dragster? Scale climbing walls at the mall?
Heck, just stick a "Type R" decal on it. The chicks'll just faint dead away.

Yeah the Yukon weighs alot more, but also makes gobs more torque. The point is, the jeep is a "Limited Edition" model with a high power engine (an engine that is supposed to be the selling point) that doesn't even produce the amount of power that other companies BASE ENGINES produce. Now granted the Jeep weighs nearly 1000lbs. less than a Yukon, but remember the exact same 5.9L engine is also used in Ram pickups in the 1500 and 2500 size....the 2500's weigh significantly more than the Yukon. Again, I agree 100% with his need for more power. Especially considering he will be paying the price in gas mileage and not really reaping the benefits.

Thank you for your valuable advice. Now does anyone have anything useful to say?

Landshark 11-18-2003 10:05 PM

Re: Chicane read this

Quote:

Originally posted by Shadow248
I'm sure there is alot that can be done, i just don't really know where to look when it comes to Mopar. So i would appreciate any suggestions on mods, or places that have parts for this engine. Thanks alot.

i'd try typing "jeep performance" into Google or your favorite flavor of search engine and see what comes up. no thanks necessary, i'm here to help. ;)

Chicane 11-18-2003 10:35 PM

Check out the mopar performance catalog.

Anyway, I googled and found this:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/robertk59

- Rob

SubaSteevo 11-18-2003 10:45 PM

Must get about what? 6MPG?....

highway?

Shadow248 11-19-2003 02:57 PM

Thanks to all those who offered useful advice. I really appreciate it. I'll check out both those links.

The Yukon got about 12-15mpg in mixed driving...i think we once saw 20 on the highway using a tank of high test. I imagine that even with the huge-ified engine in the jeep, it would be comparable to those figures because of it's light weight.

Shot king 11-19-2003 03:26 PM

Thats a badass suv. 0-60 in 7 seconds? not bad. The boys at the NAXJA association site or the JEEPSPEED challenge site might be able to help ya there both 4.0 xj cherokee oriented sites but occasionally someone comes along with a zj grandcherokee and some helpful information. http://www.naxja.org/

SVX26517 11-19-2003 03:30 PM

Tell him to upgrade the chip and add a cool air intake on it, those always help. An upgraded throttle body is also a good investment. Better fuel injectors help also.

Subafreak 11-19-2003 06:40 PM

A 98 GC with the V8 and tourq bind full time tranny:eek: Here's an idea, avoid it like the plauge!

SVXer95 11-19-2003 07:28 PM

I am pretty sure that the newer jeeps make more power and are faster than the 5.9. A jeep is a jeep. Why get a fast SUV? (unless its a porsche cayenne) They will still handle like an SUV(unless its a porsche cayenne)

My two cents.

Shot king 11-19-2003 07:36 PM

Quote:

Why get a fast SUV? (unless its a porsche cayenne) They will still handle like an SUV(unless its a porsche cayenne)
Cause ya can:D

SubaSteevo 11-20-2003 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SVXer95
I am pretty sure that the newer jeeps make more power and are faster than the 5.9. A jeep is a jeep. Why get a fast SUV? (unless its a porsche cayenne) They will still handle like an SUV(unless its a porsche cayenne)

My two cents.

Why???? To get to soccer practice ontime silly!

Shadow248 11-23-2003 09:43 PM

Hey im with you fellas in that aspect. You want speed, get a car, you want a big slow ass monster...get a truck. Just like i never understood the practice of lowering trucks. WHY?

But hey that's what he wants, and far be it for me to tell someone they are wrong in getting what they've always wanted. I know i get pretty pissed off when someone tells me i shouldn't have bought a Trans Am cause it sucks in some way, when i know very well they have no clue what they are talking about. That would be just like me trying to tell him not to get the Jeep.