The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Not Exactly SVX (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Did my good deed for the day (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13683)

wawazat?? 10-10-2003 10:13 AM

Did my good deed for the day

I was dropping my wife off at the airport for weekend in New England with a group of her high school friends and saw a tow truck hooking up to a new Chrysler Pacifica left empty in front of the terminal. I noticed the "all wheel drive" tag on the hatch and quickly pulled over (the tow truck was NOT a flat bed) and got the attention of the tow truck operator and the police officer with him. I told them that the car was all wheel drive, and though in violation of the law, that significant damage would happen to the drive train if it was -HOOKT-UP!! that way. As I was pulling away from the curb I saw them dropping it back down and checking the tag on the back of the car. Hopefully, I just saved some dumb-a$$ from replacing a transmission.

Todd

Green1995SVX 10-10-2003 10:59 AM

Go todd! :)

Mike

Mr. Pockets 10-10-2003 11:01 AM

I'm a little torn on this one. Don't get me wrong - you probably saved the owner thousands and it was certainly thoughtful of you. But I also understand why the police tow abandonded vehicles in front of airports so quickly, and damaging somebody's new car seems sort of trivial in comparison.

mohrds 10-10-2003 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I'm a little torn on this one. Don't get me wrong - you probably saved the owner thousands and it was certainly thoughtful of you. But I also understand why the police tow abandoned vehicles in front of airports so quickly, and damaging somebody's new car seems sort of trivial in comparison.
I agree with Nick (did I really just say that?). I understand why they have the rules, but rules shouldn't allow the tow company to not use a flatbed.

I personally think that the safety concern with abandoned cars is pretty ridiculous. You can park your car full of explosives right next to the terminal if you use the unchecked parking garage.

Its one of those "Feel Good" measures.

BTW: In WI, you can go onto an Amtrak train with no security checks and the train goes right next to a nuclear power plant. The tracks are closer to the reactor than the road access security checkpoint :(

Doug

wawazat?? 10-10-2003 11:45 AM

I've been here so I can relate

One of my auto transmission failures was due to incorrect towing procedures when my wife was in a minor accident. Towing company was liable for the damage and paid for the repairs, grudgingly. I may have saved the towing company and tow truck driver some serious $$$ that they would have had to pay.

Todd

Mr. Pockets 10-10-2003 12:15 PM

Re: I've been here so I can relate

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
One of my auto transmission failures was due to incorrect towing procedures when my wife was in a minor accident. Towing company was liable for the damage and paid for the repairs, grudgingly. I may have saved the towing company and tow truck driver some serious $$$ that they would have had to pay.

Todd

You don't have to defend yourself, Todd - I fully acknowledged the nice thing you did for the people involved.

And the fact that they considered your caution, then left the car there, lends some real weight to Doug's assertion that the towing is a 'feel good' measure.

wolf33h 10-10-2003 12:24 PM

Hello wawazat??:
Kudos to you, but beware: good deeds never go unpunished!!
wolf33h

Aredubjay 10-10-2003 02:48 PM

Re: Did my good deed for the day

Quote:

Originally posted by wawazat??
I was dropping my wife off at the airport for weekend in New England with a group of her high school friends
Todd

I thought only us old fart Kentuckians married girls that were still in high school. :p :D

ensteele 10-10-2003 03:12 PM

Re: Re: Did my good deed for the day

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

I thought only us old fart Kentuckians married girls that were still in high school. :p :D

Aredub

The big difference is that Amy is not Todd's sister! :D

Aredubjay 10-10-2003 03:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Did my good deed for the day

Quote:

Originally posted by ensteele

Aredub

The big difference is that Amy is not Todd's sister! :D

You have a point there. But, if you put on a hat, no one will notice. <rimshot> :D

Green1995SVX 10-10-2003 03:36 PM

Did Todd get a new wife? I thought her name was Wendy.

Mike

Mr. Pockets 10-10-2003 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Did Todd get a new wife? I thought her name was Wendy.

Mike

Ding ding ding! Gold star for Mike!

Mr. Pockets 10-10-2003 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds
I agree with Nick (did I really just say that?).

Doug

Well, you'd know if you searched for it on Google. But you didn't, so you don't.

Here's Doug:

'Oh, golly. This whole inter-web thing is soooo big and scary. How I wish that there was some sort of magic-ical device what could find things for me!'

svx_commuter 10-10-2003 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mohrds

I agree with Nick (did I really just say that?). I understand why they have the rules, but rules shouldn't allow the tow company to not use a flatbed.

I personally think that the safety concern with abandoned cars is pretty ridiculous. You can park your car full of explosives right next to the terminal if you use the unchecked parking garage.

Its one of those "Feel Good" measures.

BTW: In WI, you can go onto an Amtrak train with no security checks and the train goes right next to a nuclear power plant. The tracks are closer to the reactor than the road access security checkpoint :(

Doug

Doug Doug Doug I hope all the right people are reading this or you could give the wrong person what THEY would consider to be the right Idea. About two years after the WTC truck bomb, NPR ran a show and talked about "other methods" that we should watch out for and that included airplanes.:eek:

Ron Mummert 10-10-2003 09:15 PM

Re: Re: Did my good deed for the day

Quote:

Originally posted by Aredubjay

So what's the big deal about marrying a 27 year old Louisville cheerleader anyway?

Ron.