The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rebuilding Cylinder Heads (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52823)

Crazy_pilot 01-13-2010 10:30 PM

Rebuilding Cylinder Heads

My engine is coming out this summer for the full tear down and rebuild. Bearings, gaskets, the works, along with possibly some very minor mods. In the mean time, I want to get a set of heads prepped and ready. I've already PM'd Mike621 for pricing on a set.

So my question at the moment is, what should be replaced when rebuilding a set of heads? I'll replace the valves (~$335). Nice new clean ones make me all happy feeling. Seals will obviously be new. Spring retainers, seats, and collets are very affordable and will be changed as well. In terms of springs and the hydraulic lash adjusters...new or re-useable? If I add everything up with shipping it will be kicking in the $2k door, which is a wee bit more than I want to spend.

Bear in mind that I only intend the engine to last for about 2-3 years in this configuration. Once I graduate and get a real job the SVX is going to be retired from DD use and the motor will come out again for probably an 11:1 N/A build.

Another quick one while I've got your attention. When I'm filling my "cart" at subaruparts.com with the valve components, for a number of things (everything except the valves themselves), it automatically goes to 16 pieces. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have 24 valve engines? Meaning I would want 24 of each part?

longassname 01-14-2010 07:36 AM

Re: Rebuilding Cylinder Heads

Ouch noooo I wouldn't buy all that stuff. I'd get a subaru engine gasket set for the rebuild and use the valve seals out of it for the heads. None of the valve train parts go bad.

I wouldn't even replace the springs. Assuming you are using performance camshafts the tension of the stock springs with the stock valves increases nicely with the increased lift. I have stock springs in one of my cars with my 256 duration 9.1mm lift exhaust cams and it's golden.

Crazy_pilot 01-14-2010 08:01 AM

No kidding? That certainly makes life easier. I've already got the gasket/seal kit, so I'll see about picking up some blank heads to clean/deck as needed. That frees up some money for other things....:cool:

longassname 01-14-2010 08:34 AM

I'd be very careful about the surfacing of the heads. It's best to remove a very minimum of materal--a few thousandths at most.

Crazy_pilot 01-14-2010 08:55 AM

Don't worry, I understand that part. I'll measure them to see if they're within spec. If they need machining it'll be done by a proper shop.