The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Damn it, what did I do? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51088)

Sean486 07-27-2009 06:30 PM

Damn it, what did I do?

Was under the dashboard tonight changing the stock TCU with the ECUTune TCU. Got it changed out and bolted back in place, but now after reconnecting the battery the car won't start.

It will turn but not turn over and I hear a click from under the hood and also a clicking from under the dashboard even when the key isn't turning.

There are a lot of wires in that area and not much room I hope I didn't mess something up. HELP!!!

redlightningsvx 07-27-2009 06:35 PM

Re: Damn it, what did I do?

Did you check the battery terminals to see if the are free from crud? Also I would double check any plug you see under there again just to be safe. You might have unpluged the ecu by accident.

Wikedjuggalo 07-27-2009 06:37 PM

Are you sure you plugged everything in right on the ECU? if you missed a plug your car wont start.

Sean486 07-27-2009 07:27 PM

The terminals are clean and everything seems to be plugged in tight. The headlights light come on and the engine turns. When it turns, it dims the lights.

It's too dark and rainy to do more tonight, but tomorrow I will take out the ECU and the TCU. I need to check that the stage 1 chip is in the ECU tight.

I have spares of both of those computers so I guess I can try replacing those. Sure hope I didn't break something. :o

the_paynter 07-27-2009 08:13 PM

battery is dead :D

in all seriousness.. try jumping it. I've had weirder things happen?

Manarius 07-27-2009 09:10 PM

Yup. I'd try jumping it as well. May also want to give the starter motor a good tap to see if it's the starter (although unlikely).

SoCal LS-L 07-27-2009 09:27 PM

No he said it cranks ok but just doesnt turn over. In this situation, I would definitely go back over what I did before it stopped running, maybe a wire was pulled a little out of the ecu or tcu harness.

Tim 07-27-2009 09:28 PM

I would try turning the ignition about 10-15 times to make sure its not a voltage drop that keeps your starter from engaging.

SoCal LS-L 07-27-2009 10:54 PM

Again.......

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean486 (Post 611369)
The headlights light come on and the engine turns.

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...gain-conan.jpg

Sean486 07-28-2009 04:18 AM

I'll get back into tonight, I am thinking maybe the stage 1 chip came loose disabling the ecu. At least that is the 1st thing I am going to check.

Manarius 07-28-2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L (Post 611383)
No he said it cranks ok but just doesnt turn over. In this situation, I would definitely go back over what I did before it stopped running, maybe a wire was pulled a little out of the ecu or tcu harness.

I've had cars crank okay and still not start because their battery was dead.

SoCal LS-L 07-28-2009 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 611413)

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...tainPicard.jpg

Ive heard of this, but in my experience the car will run the EFI a while after being too weak to even crank the engine.

I hereby bet the amount of $65,000,000,000,000 that his problem does not turn out to be the battery, who wants in??

TomsSVX 07-28-2009 04:49 AM

You are lacking good ground to the ECM. Gotta find out where you may have messed with one. The ECM gnd is on the rear pass side of the intake manifold. Is the Check engine light coming on when you turn the key to ON without trying to start it? I would also check to be sure all the connectors on both the TCU and ECM are fully pushed in.

Tom

kwren 07-28-2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manarius (Post 611413)

How on earth can a car crank if the battery is actually dead??

Keith:cool:

BoxerFanatic 07-28-2009 12:19 PM

Well, more aptly "nearly dead"

If it cranks too slow, or can't properly charge the coils, or the electrical demand starves the fuel pump which lowers fuel line pressure... the car won't start on a battery that is too low.

"He is only mostly dead. Mostly dead is *slightly* alive."

Have fun storming the castle!