The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Vent Air flow (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47066)

Tedpro 11-28-2008 11:54 AM

Vent Air flow

I have a problem where my air only comes out defrost and low, it does not come out the front vents.

Anyone ideas?

1986nate 11-28-2008 12:18 PM

Re: Vent Air flow

I have this too. In almost all cars it is due to a vacuum line being cracked/broke/or disconnected and thus any hvac default is to go to only the floor and defrost vents.
I haven't bothered trying to fix mine yet. too many other problems, plus its winter anyway right now.

LetItSnow 11-28-2008 12:52 PM

You might check out the HVAC diagnostic. Turns out, one of my controller motors is toast.

kwren 11-28-2008 01:06 PM

could be just the linkage came loose that actuates the venting system
Keith:)

Crazy_pilot 11-28-2008 04:08 PM

Isn't that a standard (if annoying) SVX feature, that hot air only blows to the floor and defroster? I know mine only does that, but if I press "Vent", or auto/econ and the interior is hotter than it is outside, it blows through the dash vents just fine.

1986nate 11-28-2008 04:18 PM

Mine always blows through the floor and defroster at any temperature/setting except for the actual defrost then it only blows through the defrost.
That is why I just figured it is a vacuum line because I know that on almost all cars if that happens it is due to a vacuum line being cracked,broken, etc. On the buick I had there was one line with a hole in it. I cut out the broken part and slipped on a slightly larger rubber line to connect the to and viola all was well.
Only on this motor almost all the vac lines are under the intake and I don't feel ambitious enough right now:o

1986nate 11-29-2008 05:35 PM

I got reading through the archives and the diffuser or whatever you want to call it that selects where the air comes out can get stuck and that is why mine would not switch as I changed the temperature on mine.

If this is the problem, turn the car on(don't have to start it) and turn the auto or econ setting on and turn the temp all the way down to 65. Then reach above and to the right of the accelerator pedal and there is a lever, with it on the lowest temp it should go all the way towards the back of the car, if it doesn't manually push it all the way and then be sure to check that if you turn the heat all the way up, the lever should be in the middle of the guide but closer to the front part of it(closer towards front of car). And in the defrost setting it should be all the way to the front of that guide(towards front of car).

I was not completely successful on mine as when I pushed it all the way to the back with the coldest setting on, it then would not go fully into the defrost setting on its own and vice versa... So I am thinking that I may need to put a new unit in mine as I don't think there is anything I can do as I tried moving the lever and switching the settings repeatedly to no avail.

Hopefully though this will help others.

kwren 11-29-2008 07:51 PM

could be mistaken, but don't think vacuum is a part of the equation.

1986nate 11-29-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwren (Post 574098)
could be mistaken, but don't think vacuum is a part of the equation.

True, probably not with this car. I just suggested that as thats what i've known on many other cars but as i said in my last post it seems it is all connected to the blower and the lever located on the side.

kwren 11-30-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1986nate (Post 574129)
True, probably not with this car. I just suggested that as thats what i've known on many other cars but as i said in my last post it seems it is all connected to the blower and the lever located on the side.

Make that two levers on the side:)

bwb3 12-01-2008 10:13 AM

Check out Post #4 on this thread for a photo (bottom of page 2). http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=air+blows+hot
Gene