The Subaru SVX World Network

The Subaru SVX World Network (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Q & A (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   is this normal for a tranny? (https://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43650)

JLHollowX13 03-07-2008 06:14 PM

is this normal for a tranny?

so my transmission is acting... funny... i think. i searched using the symptoms it has and i read about the torque converter could be the problem, but my symptoms didnt seem to be exactly what i read about. my transmission jumps like i read about other poeples' doing, but mine doesnt jump randomly or anything. ill give an example: when im driving on the highway ill be at 2k while im giving it a little bit of gas. ill let off the gas and itll drop to 1500, then i give it a little bit of gas again and itll go back to 2k. is there something that needs to be fixed or is this normal? is it in fact the torque converter? is it affecting anything? if so what? thanks in advance!

Trevor 03-07-2008 06:32 PM

It would appear that your torque converter is not locking up. Lock up is dependant on transmission temperature and it could be that you may not have driven far enough for this to occur in cold weather.:confused:

JLHollowX13 03-07-2008 06:48 PM

it is pretty cold out here in CO up in the mountains where i live right now, but im very confident that the transmission is well warmed up by the time i reach the highway. its about a 15 minute drive to the highway, and it still does it 15 minutes later when i reach town (just in 3rd gear and a slower speed, i drive in 3rd unless im on the highway). if it is indeed the torque converter do i have to replace it? or is there something else to fix? if so what? thanks again!

i should also mention the speed sensor gears in my diff are broken, hence my speedo doesnt work. im not sure if that matters but i thought id say it. and im getting no codes whatsoever except those regarding the speedo.

Trevor 03-07-2008 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 (Post 533218)
it is pretty cold out here in CO up in the mountains where i live right now, but im very confident that the transmission is well warmed up by the time i reach the highway. its about a 15 minute drive to the highway, and it still does it 15 minutes later when i reach town (just in 3rd gear and a slower speed, i drive in 3rd unless im on the highway). if it is indeed the torque converter do i have to replace it? or is there something else to fix? if so what? thanks again!

i should also mention the speed sensor gears in my diff are broken, hence my speedo doesnt work. im not sure if that matters but i thought id say it. and im getting no codes whatsoever except those regarding the speedo.

The speed sensor issue could very well be causing the lock up problem, as road speed will be a factor involved in TCU functions. However I do not have details as to which of the speed sensors is critical in this regard. Someone else may chime in. :)

JLHollowX13 03-07-2008 11:03 PM

yeah im thinking the same thing which is why i decided it might be a good idea to include that bit lol. i guess when summer gets here and i fix the diff ill know for sure if that was the problem and if not then itll be narrowed down to something else. my awd didnt work for a while and im almost positive its becuase of that sensor and the car had to learn itself again almost to correct the problem. now my awd is back online it seems, maybe not 100 percent, but definitly better than it was. hopefully by fixing the speed gears ill be good all around and one thing will fix it all.

OrangeOkie 03-07-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

so my transmission is acting... funny... i think
Bend over and grab your ankles . . .:lol:

Chuckles 03-08-2008 04:35 AM

The name of this thread was hilarious. I've been there so many times. Cars are like women, once you get what you want, you always seem to come crawling back for more, despite the high maintenance and that odd feeling your getting porked every time. I had a ford that did something like that, it turned out to be bad linkage alignment... probably doesn't help you but maybe it gets somebody thinking.

bwb3 03-08-2008 06:11 PM

Sorry if this is a hyjack

My 960 Volvo started having problems deciding on what gear to be in in the upper ranges. It also had a flashing transmission fault light flashing, like the CEL light. Took it to an independant but factory trained Volvo mechanic who knew how to read the codes (they are a very secretive lot). He said it was a selenoid fault. I said C selenoid? He said C1, your car has 7. :eek: I have a new appreciation for the Subraru tranny. However, this is Volvo #5 and the first time with a tranny problem.
Gene